Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceweaseal View Post
    I am sorry that I was no help but it really is just up to what you like and what works best for you..
    Actually, you are a great help. I picked up 12' of strap from a local hiking store. Figuring would be a good start and it I find it too much, I'll make 4' ones. Now it's off to get some nylon thread to sew loops.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.578185,-111.730339

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    I use a pair of 6' straps, and those are plenty for all but quite large trees. In a forest, never a problem. The only time I tried to use them and couldn't was between a pair of big old plane trees in a park - one of the trees was a few inches too big around for the strap to make it.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    I swapped mine out to just cinch buckles and straps...I think I went with 10 feet per side (if the trees are relatively thin, I just go around them twice, but at least I'm set for those occasional wide East Texas pines). My wife likes the whoopies, which she's more familiar with...I think she's just got 6 foot whoopies and 4 foot straps.

Conveniently, it all still fits in that little bag...we just roll up each end to the middle. It's very nice having a "day hammock" to just take on shorter hikes, or long car rides to string up at a rest stop
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Someone is almost always selling whoopies on this site for pretty cheap. Whoopies are a pretty awesome alternative to tying backer knots or any knots at all. Look up the "Nick clip hitch" on youtube (not me) for an alternative to the Marlin Spike Hitch and toggle (which can slip off and requires that you check and recheck that your amsteel is on the "knot and not the toggle". The clip hitch is a no brainer fool proof method that won't leave you worried all night when you get in and out of your hammock on those hikes around the bush.
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps

Another newbie

I'm working on my UL - my first hammock (which hasn't been hung yet - life keeps getting in the way). I kept the black rope in and replaced the S-hooks with Black Diamond Neutrinos. I made two 6' tree straps with 1" polyester webbing. I plan on getting some Dutch clips.

At some point I'll get/make some Whoopie slings to replace the black rope and carabiners, but will this work in the meantime? It looks like the only way to adjust this system would be with knots, which would be a pain but something I'm comfortable doing until I get the Whoopie slings.

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
    I'm working on my UL - my first hammock (which hasn't been hung yet - life keeps getting in the way). I kept the black rope in and replaced the S-hooks with Black Diamond Neutrinos. I made two 6' tree straps with 1" polyester webbing. I plan on getting some Dutch clips.

At some point I'll get/make some Whoopie slings to replace the black rope and carabiners, but will this work in the meantime? It looks like the only way to adjust this system would be with knots, which would be a pain but something I'm comfortable doing until I get the Whoopie slings.
    You could purchase some descending rings or buy some metal rings that I've found at Ace Hardware. You could attach the rings to the black rope and then run your webbing through the rings like a belt. You might have to tie a half hitch behind the rings (with the webbing), but it sure beats tying and untying knots to get your perfect lay. Try it out, the metal rings at Ace were pretty cheap and I believe had weight rating written on the tags. Try it out. The metal rings at Ace aren't as light as some climbing grade descending rings, but it gets the job done for cheap.

Amsteel is cheap and easy to make a whoopie sling. It's by far the lightest suspension I have found and it's so simple to adjust it's not even funny. You could make some whoopies for under $10. Simple to setup and you don't have to worry about ANY slipping at all. Set it and forget it.
    JBizzle

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I bought a pair of 12' cinch straps (yellow) from Harbor Freight for $4 and cut off the cinch buckle. I then sewed a loop on the end I cut the buckle off of. I then bought elephant trunks and I use a Whoopie loop through the gathered end and then hook it to the elephant trunk. Sweet system, and inexpensive. Easy to adjust and the suspension will fit in the pouch with the hammock.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Thanks! I was looking at rings and the ones for climbing are expensive. I went to a local hardware store (not a chain) and the rings I found weren't load-bearing. I'll have to check out the rings at one of the bigger stores.

Would two 6' slings be adequate for most purposes?

I really appreciate the quick reply!
    Last edited by Datahiker; 01-19-2012 at 11:48.

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    Thanks! I was looking at rings and the ones for climbing are expensive. I went to a local hardware store (not a chain) and the rings I found weren't load-bearing. I'll have to check out the rings at one of the bigger stores.

Would two 6' slings be adequate for most purposes?

I really appreciate the quick reply!
    Anticipate the distance the trees will be from each other minus your hammock length. Make sure you calculate the girth of the trees in your area. 6' whoopies will work fine if your tree huggers are long enough to get around the tree and out to your whoopie. I think my tree huggers are about 8' and then I have 8' whoopies. I could easily get by with 6' for each in Missouri.
    JBizzle

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Check out these rings at whoopieslings.com. They'll hold about 3,000 pounds and only weigh 11 grams.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast