Question How do you know?

We just bought some grey material at Wal-mart. It looks and feels like nylon material to me (similar to a stuff sack). It has a little grid pattern running through it. There was also some similar material that felt "rubberized." The wal-mart lady kept calling both of these some sort of polyester blend. The labels said "content unknown." it cost $1.50 per yard. How do y'all know when it's silnylon or some other usable material? Thanks!

John

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would doubt that it is silnylon....give it the water test. Then you'll know if it is waterproof or water resistant. Can you blow through it? If so....more than likely just rip-stop.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

It absorbs water. It's not easy to blow through though. So if it's just rip stop it's still good for making a basic hammock, right? Thanks!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Hmm...

Couple things I can think of just off the top of my head. Silny will be impermiable, non-breathable, will feel very slick almost rubberized.

You can stuff a gather of the fabric in a cup and add water. Does the water leak through to the cup or is it captured by the fabric? Although good DWR will perform similarly it won't hold the water as well or as long. With silny you shouldn't get even a drop of water left in the cup; even after several hours.

Also, silny can't be adhered to, if duct tape won't stick to it and it's waterproof it's probably silny. Again, not a certainty but silicone resists non-silicone based adhessives.

That's about all I got right now. Maybe someone else will chime with a better method.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images
    Hmm...

Not-So-Smart phone made a double post, sorry 'bout that.
    Last edited by AaronAlso; 10-19-2011 at 12:51. Reason: double post
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfelkins View Post
    It absorbs water. It's not easy to blow through though. So if it's just rip stop it's still good for making a basic hammock, right? Thanks!
    Yes it is! I noticed my local walmart fabric section had some rip stop in varying shades of green. Looked like it was good stuff for some hammock making!

• + New Posts