Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

is fleece material required to be flame reisitant/retardant?

just a quick off the wall question.................when you buy or make a fleece garment/clothing item, is it required to be flame reisitant/retardant? I was wondering if there were any laws/regulations that manufacturers have to comply with on this issue? Is regular polar tech fleece flame resistant/retardant?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    just a quick off the wall question.................when you buy or make a fleece garment/clothing item, is it required to be flame reisitant/retardant? I was wondering if there were any laws/regulations that manufacturers have to comply with on this issue? Is regular polar tech fleece flame resistant/retardant?

I don't think so... I know I have had a few melt because I forgot to take them off when grinding..

Hammock
    DIY(s)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Polartec does make various types of fleece for high temperature applications (like for wilderness firefighters).

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest & DubbleNest
    Tarp
    ENO Pro Fly
    Insulation
    Foam pad & slp bag
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Images
    I have always thought the only fire retardant clothing
    By law,was in kids PJ's
    This is your one stop shop for all Hammock knowledge

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bhinson View Post
    I have always thought the only fire retardant clothing
    By law,was in kids PJ's
    In the US children's "sleepwear" is required to be flame retardant no matter what it is made of. Typically a flame retardant treatment is added to the fabric which is why you should only wash children's sleep wear in detergent and never soap. Soap removes the flame retardant treatment.

Fleece in and of itself is not flame retardant.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    My Homemade Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY IX
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Poly fleece may be flame resistant but it will melt. We are not allowed to wear anything under/over our flight suit unless it is 100% cotton or silk. The only synthetic we are allowed to wear is nomex. I do have a nomex "fleece" vest for use in the winter. Do your own testing and get some scraps from walmart, joanns etc and see what happens.

BTW the way I don't know the requirements but burning or melting will both hurt like heck. Just use common sense when using synthetic fibers around flame/heat/fire.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ohiohiker View Post
    Poly fleece may be flame resistant but it will melt. We are not allowed to wear anything under/over our flight suit unless it is 100% cotton or silk. The only synthetic we are allowed to wear is nomex. I do have a nomex "fleece" vest for use in the winter. Do your own testing and get some scraps from walmart, joanns etc and see what happens.
    I've never tried to burn fleece, but I've had it melt while wearing it. I was in a car wreck and my air bag deployed. Later I looked at the arms of some Columbia fleece I had worn and the material was somewhat melted. There were no holes but it was as if the friction of the bag going up my arm caused it to melt.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiohiker View Post

BTW the way I don't know the requirements but burning or melting will both hurt like heck. Just use common sense when using synthetic fibers around flame/heat/fire.

Chris
    The problem with synthetics in a fire is they can melt into a puddle of hot plastic on your skin enhancing the burn damage. Not a problem for most of us but definitely one for somebody in turnout gear. Silk and cotton char into dust.

• + New Posts