HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies

Rap rings/garda hitch?

I just got my hammock a little bit ago, and am trying to iron out the suspension system. so far my favorite is to use one biner to hold the two ends of the tree webbing strap together, put two rappel rings on it and tie a garda hitch (same for both ends). this allows me to just pull on the two lines of cord coming from the hitch and tighten up the hammock and back it up with a couple half hitches.

I'm using the stock hennessy 1200lb spectra cord. I was reading elsewhere here and it seems to me like this set up may place a good deal of tension stress on the cord, and a good bit of compression as well between the rings. Does anyone use this setup? or one as easy? could anyone comment on rope wear? I'm not worried that the cord will break, just that the sheath will wear or core will compress and wear; although it is probably rare that i will use the cord in the same spot very often so maybe it wont be an issue.

thanks in advance for any comments or help

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Takes me way back to 2007 I think? The sheath will eventually wear apart.

Google search garda hitch hammock suspension

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    yea also I believe the lighter model hennessy's with the lighter rope will slip through the rings. I have been using my rings on my expedition for almost a year but again im 150 pounds at the most so I havent seen any problems with mine yet but ive seen some before
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks i followed the google and came to this thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2240

still sifting my way through it.

Newton - so you have used the garda hitch for a fair amount of time and not run into a problem yet? i figure if i have to replace the cord every year or two, thats really not that big of an issue to me.

I've slept on the setup one night and didnt have any slippage issues (with a half hitch for backup). I'm at about ~160lbs. Am going to try again tonight and can post back about more slippage if i get some.

thanks for the fast replies!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pdizzle View Post
    Thanks i followed the google and came to this thread: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2240

still sifting my way through it.

Newton - so you have used the garda hitch for a fair amount of time and not run into a problem yet? i figure if i have to replace the cord every year or two, thats really not that big of an issue to me.

I've slept on the setup one night and didnt have any slippage issues (with a half hitch for backup). I'm at about ~160lbs. Am going to try again tonight and can post back about more slippage if i get some.

thanks for the fast replies!
    no problem man and yea Ive been using mine since I got it in march. Im not really a gram guy so I like my rings and garda hitch. but yea your light like me and the only thing ive heard is about the skinny rope from the lighter hennessy's but hey just check your rope and if you start to see it fraying or whatnot then id say stop doing it.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite BE
    Tarp
    HH Diamond asym
    Insulation
    thinlight + breeze
    Suspension
    whoopies
    That's what I'll do! and in case anyone else wants some detailed info about gardas, treedweller goes into some detail on page three of that thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...?t=2240&page=3

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    I purchased the thicker rap rings which seem to be a little easier on the rope.
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    I use a similar setup by wrapping the cord around a ring a few times then through the tree huggers. I then attach that end to a carabiner, a weight rated aluminum black diamond, with a figure eight, and clip it to the ring. Gives full adjustability but no squeezing or binding of the cord between the rings. Sure the biner adds a little weight...but they are multitaskers that I can use for other purposes when not hanging. Aslo with that method I have found that I can even hang off of very large diameter trees if necessary. I weigh in at around 240lbs and havent once had a slippage issue or any wear to the cord.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion X View Post
    I use a similar setup by wrapping the cord around a ring a few times then through the tree huggers. I then attach that end to a carabiner, a weight rated aluminum black diamond, with a figure eight, and clip it to the ring. Gives full adjustability but no squeezing or binding of the cord between the rings. Sure the biner adds a little weight...but they are multitaskers that I can use for other purposes when not hanging. Aslo with that method I have found that I can even hang off of very large diameter trees if necessary. I weigh in at around 240lbs and havent once had a slippage issue or any wear to the cord.
    Have you got a good picture of that? Sounds really interesting. Thanks.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    OXGEAR 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    OXSHED
    Insulation
    OXGEAR 40º 3/4
    Suspension
    whoopie sling's
    I don't have a good one but give me just a bit and I will have one posted up for you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast