Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images

Whoopie/cinch buckle combo suspension

I have been doing some thinking lately. I'm not sure its an original idea, but I think I have come up with a suspension that will finally prevent me from loosing my tree straps doesn't require a back up knot, middle of the road weight wise, and seems more foolproof than MSH and toggle. It is a whoopie sling and cinch buckle hybrid. I have a set of 7' tree straps, with wbbb cinch buckles, and 5' whoopie slings. Put them together and you get a really adjustable all in one piece system. Its 18 grams heavier than my toggles and 8 grams lighter than the elephant trunks.

What you all think?
    uploadfromtaptalk1318985102057.jpg
    Last edited by packeagle; 10-18-2011 at 20:09.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Looks good, contemplated doing this myself, but I just got some Dutch Buckles and want to give them a try.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    I got the E-Trunks and gave them a go once. (Ordered them just before the Dutch buckle came out.) They are really nice. But i kind of like how with this one the straps are permanently attached the the whoopies. I thought about running the whoopies through the hole in the E-trunk but the directions advised against that. Just have to go hang in the woods and see what works best.
    Last edited by packeagle; 10-18-2011 at 20:33.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I have never used Amsteel, but I was wondering if that is a good long term way to attach the Amsteel to the cinch buckle? Aren't you just asking for wear?

The way that the Amsteel is used with the Dutch Buckles seem more like it would be longer lasting since the Amsteel is actually on the webbing, and not on any metal at all.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    The way that warbonnet and arrowhead sell the buckles they have a "chain link" or loop of amsteel that is looped through the buckles. I have read no reports of wear on the amsteel loops from these products. The buckles would also rub in the.same spot on these configurations causing a more concentrated wear. It may cause some abrasion or wear long term. I have a good size stash of amsteel so i could always make a new one..

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    That's a pretty good idea! I have Elephant Trunks and I have Dutch buckles on the way but I might give your idea a try.

I currently use a short continuous loop from my hammock connected to my whoopies with a Dutch clip and what I like about having the webbing and whoopies separate is I can get a sorter minumum distance from the hammock to the tree. If need be I can take off the whoopies and connect the continuous loop to the elephant trunk (or Dutch buckle) which can be adjusted to be closer to the tree. So far I have not had a problem with short distances but its nice to have options since I can get almost a foot closer on bothe hammock ends if needed.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO
    Suspension
    Strap w/ DutchClip
    I have a similar setup only with descender rings. Adjustable from the strap or whoopie side.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    That's a pretty good idea! I have Elephant Trunks and I have Dutch buckles on the way but I might give your idea a try.

I currently use a short continuous loop from my hammock connected to my whoopies with a Dutch clip and what I like about having the webbing and whoopies separate is I can get a sorter minumum distance from the hammock to the tree. If need be I can take off the whoopies and connect the continuous loop to the elephant trunk (or Dutch buckle) which can be adjusted to be closer to the tree. So far I have not had a problem with short distances but its nice to have options since I can get almost a foot closer on bothe hammock ends if needed.
    I like the idea of the dutch beaner between hammock and whoopie. With we whoopie/sap covered straps i could place them in a separate bag if needed. Only drawback i see is more hardware more weight.

• + New Posts