Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle

HHSS Stupid question....

So why do I need the undercover? I'm on a budget and why can't/shouldn't I buy just the HHSS pad for like $30? And when I do have a bit more money wouldn't it be okay to buy the 2QZQ protector instead?

Hammock
    HH DeepJungle XL
    Tarp
    OldManWinter,HHex
    Insulation
    Incubator+Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think the 2QZQ Protector would definitely be an option worth thinking about, from what I can tell it looks pretty adjustable. You might need to do some tweaking if you like to use the hammock side tie-outs though. I just got a couple custom peak bags and I am very satisfied with the quality.

Which Hammock do you have?
    Learning how to tie a couple knots never killed nobody. First ones I ever learned were pretty hard but they've kept my shoes on me for the better part of 45 years.
    -MrClean417

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images

Hhss

I tried using a Grand Trunk UL under my Hennessy Expedition instead of my SS. It's cut is not asymetrical.

Although it worked somewhat....... to keep the HH SS pad up under the hammock, the fit was off center with how I slept in the hammock, and, was very hard to keep 'off' centered properly. The 'regular' hammock under the Hennessy is too short on it's long axis, even using elastic end cords to fasten it to the hammock center line. Also it's very hard to adjust it once you get in the hammock, even with corresponding tie outs on the GT, which mate with the tie outs on the HH. (bottom entry) It doesn't stay up over and along the sides very well. Hennessy charges $100 to buy 'just' the HH SS cover. I think that is a bit much.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The Hennessy pad is open cell foam. With no cover the wind would blow through it so provides minimum insulation. You would be better off getting the bottom cover and using it to hold whatever insulation you can find in place.

If you really want to go cheap you would be better off with a CCF pad inside the hammock. Look for SPE of segmented pad extender threads. If you go that route with a bottom entry hammock go torso length on the pad with a separate loose foot pad.

Another option is a wide CCF pad you will want to cut down:

http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-4-wide.html

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I use the Hennessy Underpad and Undercover. Yes it certainly is hard to adjust, even with Zipper Mod. And I don't believe it stays in place very well either. It is quite warm though where it is in place. I think it needs a better system to keep it in place. Don't know how to do that. Wish somebody could figure it out.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use the 2QZQ undercover with my Expedition. My underquilt is an AHE Potomac. The undercover even when adjusted to fit tight around the hammock still hangs very low. It's designed to not compress the UQ. The SS pad will hang very low if used with the 2QZQ undercover.
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    I use the 2QZQ undercover with my Expedition. My underquilt is an AHE Potomac. The undercover even when adjusted to fit tight around the hammock still hangs very low. It's designed to not compress the UQ. The SS pad will hang very low if used with the 2QZQ undercover.
    Doesn't the HHSS pad have its own lines to support itself?

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    yea it does. and I hadnt really seen anyone say that it was really that hard to adjust the pad. I have the bottom entry and I have a easy time with it. it would be even easier with the zipper model. but like it was said above the sil undercover is meant to block wind and allow the foam pad to insulate. without the undercover it will provide little to no insulation. Id say buy the whole system
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    I tried using a Grand Trunk UL under my Hennessy Expedition instead of my SS. It's cut is not asymetrical.

Although it worked somewhat....... to keep the HH SS pad up under the hammock, the fit was off center with how I slept in the hammock, and, was very hard to keep 'off' centered properly. The 'regular' hammock under the Hennessy is too short on it's long axis, even using elastic end cords to fasten it to the hammock center line. Also it's very hard to adjust it once you get in the hammock, even with corresponding tie outs on the GT, which mate with the tie outs on the HH. (bottom entry) It doesn't stay up over and along the sides very well. Hennessy charges $100 to buy 'just' the HH SS cover. I think that is a bit much.
    I guess it does seem a bit much for a piece of Sil-nylon. Then again, it is a custom design providing the exact fit and closure for the bottom entry, just the right amount of elastic pressure for the pad, and mostly the right amount of pressure for adding insulation ( parkas etc ) into the UC, and total wrap/wind/rain/snow/fog block around the bottom and sides. And most sil-nylon tarps cost ~ $100. So maybe it is not all that much compared to other gear, for something that is custom designed for the HH. I never have the problems you mentioned using the GT hammock as UC with the HH UC/pad.

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    The Hennessy pad is open cell foam. With no cover the wind would blow through it so provides minimum insulation. You would be better off getting the bottom cover and using it to hold whatever insulation you can find in place.

If you really want to go cheap you would be better off with a CCF pad inside the hammock. Look for SPE of segmented pad extender threads. If you go that route with a bottom entry hammock go torso length on the pad with a separate loose foot pad.

Another option is a wide CCF pad you will want to cut down:

http://gossamergear.com/sleeping/1-4-wide.html
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by easyriver View Post
    I use the Hennessy Underpad and Undercover. Yes it certainly is hard to adjust, even with Zipper Mod. And I don't believe it stays in place very well either. It is quite warm though where it is in place. I think it needs a better system to keep it in place. Don't know how to do that. Wish somebody could figure it out.
    I admit I used to feel sort of that way years ago when the HHSS was new to me. But now I rather feel the opposite of that. I really don't think there is anything to adjust, and mine always stays in place perfectly. I mean, once the tie outs( hammock tie outs through pad loops and UC side openings exactly as directed in the videos) are set up, there is really nothing else to adjust. And if the tie outs are secured to a hiking pole or bush/branch up a bit above the ground, the UC and pad really can't move unless something tears. Although, I have been known( once I used the HHSS with a no net HH) to leave the all the tie outs undone and then move the UC/pad just where I want them after I am in. But once I have the pad in place, it wraps around me and is pretty grippy and does not move, even with no tie outs. One thing that might move, especially before I get in, is stuff I have added to the UC to boost insulation. But there are a few tricks to deal with that. Or with a no net, I just reach under and put them where I want them, then things will stay put at least until I make a major move.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    Yes, and these can probably be used to supply most of the needed tension if the UC is not doing so. You might have to shorten the suspension if using without the HHUC. But the HHUC provides just the right amount of tension automatically, not too much or too little, you really don't even need the pad suspension.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-19-2011 at 20:49.

There are no stupid questions, except those unasked.

I have a Supershelter but am much more likely to save it for car-camping. I eschew single-use gear when on the trail. A lighter option is a mylar space blanket, slung under the hammock with elastic. It takes more effort, but I've done this for years. The space blanket can be taken off and used as a ground cloth should I have to (Horrors!) sleep on the ground or hung behind me to reflect a campfire, etc. I can lay my Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad on top of the space blanket (under the hammock) for some bottom insulation. I also may carry a fleece poncho/tunic that I sling under the hammock with elastic, as well. How may layers I need, of course, depends on the temperature. My issue with under quilts is that they are no good for ground sleeping insulation. I MAY make a synthetic underquilt that I can use as a tunic one of these days, if I can find suitable materials with some stretch. For this one, as much as I like down, I'd avoid it so I could wear the tunic under my pack. I suspect that down would not hold up well under pressure, sweat, and movement.

The open cell foam that is sold with the SuperShelter Undercover has heavy-duty elastic for longitudinal and side tie outs. If used properly, the foam should stay snug against the bottom of the hammock and move with the hammocker. I think Tom has a video on his website that explains how to set up the SuperShelter system. Customers always can call Hennessy Hammock with questions, or PM me and we can communicate off line. Send me a phone number and I will call to talk you through your set up.

Regards,
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast