Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

UC useful to add more insulation + keeps foam dry

In addition to it's wind-blocking duties, the UC will also keep the foam pad dry in a rainstorm if you are using the standard tarp.

I've also employed it to add extensive additional multi-purpose under-insulation: down parkas, fleece jackets, etc. When winter camping in Minnesota I'd wear my down parka in camp at night, then put it under my lower back in the UC before retiring.

The price seems high, but its really just like buying a small tarp, but with all the added elastics and extra stitching for the bottom entry slit.

FWIW,

--Kurt

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaron View Post
    I use the 2QZQ undercover with my Expedition. My underquilt is an AHE Potomac. The undercover even when adjusted to fit tight around the hammock still hangs very low. It's designed to not compress the UQ. The SS pad will hang very low if used with the 2QZQ undercover.
    No it won't! The SS pad has shock cords on both ends and it ties into the side pull-outs. It supports it's own weight, which isn't much (about 8oz with the stuff sack). I use one with my own undercover that is a simple rectangle of silnylon with shock cords in channels on all four sides (and doubles as a poncho).

To answer the OP's question, you need some sort of cover under the HH SS pad as it is open cell foam. As others said, you need protection from the wind. Do add a space blanket to the mix as Hennessy recommends. Your undercover doesn't need to go all the way to the ends, but it should be past your head and feet. Longer is better. I've rigged a space blanket as an undercover and it wasn't perfect, but it worked. All I did was to gather the ends and tie them off with some shock cord and used that to tie in my suspension. It was on the small side. Using a hammock like a Grand Trunk UL may require sewing channels on the sides and adding shock cords.

If you sew up an undercover, you can add mitten hooks to the right spots on the sides to tie in with the Hennessy side pull-outs. That spreads it out and helps locate it fore and aft. My cover is 104"x59" and I have an Expedition Zip; the 2QZQ undercover is 106” x 64”.

See http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=36298 for more info and photos.

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    While we are on the subject of stupid questions...
    I am in the process of converting a REI Sub-Kilo into an underquilt. (I also am cheap). Should I set it up to hang from the hammock ridgeline or from the tarp ridgeline?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by vtrek View Post
    I am in the process of converting a REI Sub-Kilo into an underquilt. (I also am cheap). Should I set it up to hang from the hammock ridgeline or from the tarp ridgeline?
    I'm a newb but I would imagine that you would want it to attach to the hammock suspension so that when your hammock moves your UQ will too... I've been wrong before though

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vtrek View Post
    I hang my PLUQ from the hammock ridgeline. It seems to work well.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12