Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web

Thumbs up Hammocks affect on humans

With all the threads that have turned semi-ugly recently, I thought I'd see about lightening the mood some.

Of all the fun things that come with hammocking, like sharing this "oddball" way we enjoy the outdoors with others, seeing peoples reactions when they test our rigs and see how comfy it can be, etc... theres a lot of things being on this site, hanging and learning has done for me.

I've been a nicer person of late.

I've seen some of the most generous people come to aid in times of need

I learned so much about stuff I didnt care about a year ago, and do now.

Being able to sleep comfortably where ever is a freeing experience.

My body feels better and I've been encouraged to get out more, and get into better shape so I can do those nice long hikes.

I've met some amazing people that I can call my friend now.

So what are some things that you are thankful for or have gained by hammocking as well as being on this site?
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Another hobby for me to sink my scarce green backs in to.

and the nice feeling I get when laying in the hammock looking up, no matter when and where, or circumstance. Its so comfortable and relaxing, especially enjoyable in the woods at night with a fire roaring and a cup of food in my hand.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Banned
    Hammock
    WBB 1.7 Double,DIY traveler
    Tarp
    hennessy hex,DIY
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This forum, this band of friends no waits family. Has given me a new outlook on life and on people for that matter. A few years ago I had the outlook that people only cared about themselves. Then a year ago all of me and my sons gear was stolen from my car along with my car. I posted a message here on the Forum just so I could vent off some steam. The next thing I knew people I had never met before were offering to send me gear to replace what was stolen. Next thing I knew we had packages coming in with more gear than we could use. We past a lot of gear on to Scouts that would have not had the funds to buy this gear. I have found a new outlook on people from what was done for us. I now help others when ever the opportunity arises. I think, NO I know that I am a better person from finding this new community here. I will never be able to thank the folk here that helped a man and his son for no other reason but to help a person that was down and out. So I know I have said it before but thank you all and I hope that Karma has blessed you all for what you did for me and my boy.

Bigbogg

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Bogg, that is an absolutely amazing story! And you are right, I have even seen people on here offer to drive to someones house to teach thread injecting...absolutely awesome group of people on here, the kinds we will be hanging with in heaven when our number is called.

For me, as shown above, I am thankful for all the graciousness shown here in the forums. Nuff said. Good stuff.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Rev, you just about covered it all, and then deadphhans dialed it right in; was looking for another hobby, too!
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Whenever I go through my hiking/camping equipment I get a chance to recall memories from all my past trips, and all of the people I've met as well as all my old friends. I love it every time. Now that I'm in a whole other state across the country, it's also a little bit of back home to me.
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    yeah, but hammocks can be more than just a "cool way to camp". ive heard tales of people who couldnt camp before because of back pains.

what has your hammock done for you lately?
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    WB BBXLC and DIY
    Tarp
    UP
    Insulation
    DOWN
    Suspension
    30 DEGREES
    This past spring I had the opportunity to teach an older person the ins and outs of backpacking. She was 70! A former teacher and fellow artist she has traveled the world over the years and inspired many. When her husband passed away about 8 years ago she stopped traveling. She still hiked, biked, and kayaked on a daily basis which is more than I can say for many. She told me that she has biked through Europe, visited 33 countries, hiked the grand canyon, and rafted the Colorado river. However she never actually had to carry all of her gear with her all the time. Most of my students range from 18-40 years old and have some experience but she was very new. She first caught interest when she saw me camping out in my hammock during a huge community Anagama kiln firing for ceramics. After some chat she went and got a lightweight hammock and was able to enjoy camping again without hurting her back. I learned much from her for example I never had a student that was unable to collect firewood so I taught her about camp stoves instead. She learned easy ways to hang a bear bag, and prepare lightweight meals. She has all her own gear now and most recently I introduced her to whoopie slings. She always had trouble remembering the lashing to hang her hammock. This all took place last spring. Since August she has been out every other weekend even now in October. She says backpacking and her new hammock have reopened so many possibilities. She is planing a thru hike of the ice age trail here in WI this spring with some other friends of hers. She loves being able to see the stars at night says she is just getting started.

Hammock
    My own $25 DIY Hammock.
    Tarp
    Chinook Camo.
    Insulation
    E.C.W.S Military
    Suspension
    Bioshock
    I saw biggboggs thread about getting robbed and wanted to help out but by that time i think he could have probably opened an outdoor store. After reading most of the posts it really made me see a glimmer of light at the end of humanities dark tunnel. I have a new outlook on my fellow man after that. All thanks to this website. Oh yea i also learned a great new way to camp that was totally unknown to me until a few years ago. This thank you goes out to all Hammock Forums members, so THANK YOU ALL.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Just before sunset today, watching my 2 sons, both 11 and under clean up outside then taking our 2 hammocks and stuffing into bishop bags, helping each other, without arguing, and bringing them inside. Hammocking is another way to bring family closer and to promote better adults, IMHO.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast