Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix &Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch hook/whoopie
    Great words Rev. I am a complete noob and my wife has become a bit frustrated with me because it has become yet another obsession. (notice I say another) Anyway one thing I have enjoyed in the little bit of time that I have been researching and learning is that there is always a new way to tweak stuff and it makes you think outside the box and be creative.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Camping is now something to enjoy instead of something to tolerate.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Bought a Dual Sport motorcyle to learn how to ride.

Changed to a larger DS 1 year later.

Bought a HH so I could hang in the back country.

Joined HF.

See lots of great ideas.

Bought HHSS.

Decided to learn how to sew, got machine from friend.

Watched videos about thread injecting on HF. Tnx RR, and others.

Made a few small projects.

Made a DIY RayWay OQ.

Tried making my own UQ, No good.

Bought KAQ Potomac UQ.

Changed suspension system.

Gonna change again, ordered Dutch Buckles.

Found out I'm a "cold sleeper", need Army down Artic bag even at 50F!

Continue to read HF everyday, usually several times a day, just to keep up!

Love it here.

Hammock
    Exped Scout Combi
    Tarp
    DD XL/ exped 1.5x3
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag+Under
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    This is a great community, I want to tell you guys what happened when I was starting out here. I was looking for my first UQ and getting it second hand to keep costs down.

First I talked to KAQ, who helped guide me in the right direction, which in this case was actually away from their products! That's real integrity, you don't often find a shop willing to deny themselves a sale to help the customer.

Then I placed a wanted ad for JRB UQ, I received offers and I had to decline them all, unfortunately they were all above my budget by at least 60-70 dollars. One of the gents PM'd me back and offered me the quilt at an incredible price, which I gratefully accepted. The guy just wanted to help me out, and I'd never met him. I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Good people, good hobby,

Dave

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I love this Forum, even though it has almost become an addiction. LOL.. I have learned so much and it has brought out my creativity and peaked my imagination on doing DIY gear. I have plans to get a sewing machine and go to work. However, this has been waylaid by a job offer in Afghanistan, but I know I will be on this forum over there and getting more ideas to implement when I return.
    I have met some great folks on Hangs, an they have all been so nice and helpful to a Noob. I can't wait to go on more hangs.
    I know I will be looking for ways to hang in Afghanistan, because I have already been thinking about it, and once there I will be checking it out. My husband already said he will send the hammock as soon as I give him the word.

Thank you all for being so wonderful. God Bless you all.

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    I found HF soon after I had gotten my first hammock, a HH Exped. I was, and still am, impressed with the attitude, experience & generosity of the members here. Conflicts are extremely rare but when they do occur they are short lived & civil and that is almost unheard of on most forums. I hope it continues to be so as this is an inspiring place to come to learn & enjoy.

REV - "yeah, but hammocks can be more than just a "cool way to camp". ive heard tales of people who couldnt camp before because of back pains"
    I'm one of these. I had always been an active, outdoor person but starting about 10yrs ago I finally succumbed to long standing injuries & could no longer forgo the knife. Unfortunately I had waited too long and although I had some of the best surgeons & doctors, much of the damage was irreparable. Deep depression set in and although not the suicidal type, life lost it's glimmer and I began wasting away. Today with great appreciation & thanks to our Lord & Savior I discovered hammocking. Unlike most I did not immediately experience the nirvana of hammocks but I could see the possibilities. Through perseverance and help from many on this forum, not to mention wallet draining , I have found that slice of heaven.

Bottom line, today I have that glimmer back & am excited about life with it's possibilities. Thank You all.
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix
    Suspension
    diy whoopie slings
    My friends and I used to go car camping a lot, but until about two months ago, we hadn't gone for more than two years. I had always said that I wanted to try backpacking, but one of the excuses (it wouldn't be honest to call it a reason) for not going was not having the equipment.

I discovered hammocks online quite by accident (I don't even remember what site I was reading). I like the potential for DIY projects, and doing something new. I've slept outside more times in the past two months than I have in the past four years. I have a bona fide backpacking trip planned for one month from now - it's not far but it's a start. When I went to MAHHA, I didn't really feel like an outsider; I was welcomed as part of the group.

What have hammocks done for me (in a very short time)? I've rediscovered something I really enjoy in a new way.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Hammocking for me like others have stated brought about a change in my perception of life.

For many years all I did was work, well this led to a divorce and several years of relationships that failed. After talking to a friend he mentioned a kayaking trip and my response was where do you put the tent???? He gives me the "Tents we don't need no stinking tents!" look and informs me about Henesey Hammocks. Well, this was something that I had to check out. After many internet searches I find HF, lurk, do gear review searches, join and then attend a group hang. I can admit, it whipped my backside for two days but I made it out alive. The next hang was in TN and I admit I was skeptical but I went and had the best time over the next two days. While at this hang I met the woman that I am with now and plan on being with as long as she will have me. I mean its got to be a great realtionship when it starts off with you begging for a shower because you have been in the woods for two days sweating like a turkey in a stuffing factory!!!!!! What a great woman. Since then we have developed an addiction that both of us are happy with and have made everything from hammocks to alcohol stoves and see no end in sight. It has also brought me pleasure in the times that I get to spend with my daughter. She has ditched her bed and we have placed a hammock bunk bed in her room, very proud dad indeed I am!!!!!

I guess its best said that this addiction I have has let me see that life is worth living and the simpler that you keep things the fuller your life experiences can be!!!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I will happily give credit to hammocks, but it is at least as likely that becoming a long distance hiker (thanks to the hammocks) is what altered my, previously, very angry brain. I was one of those guys that used to enjoy conflict, why do you think Whiteblaze was the first website I found on long distance hiking?

I don't miss those days, not even a little. I am very much enjoying being a spectator to nature's splendor and can walk away from disputes much easier than was once possible. Still a long ways from being the next Dali Lama, but progress is progress. Of course, the hammock can be credited with much of that, I'm sure. I sleep now. Never knew how nice of an activity that was until discovering hammocks. I also have a hobby that is completely non-aggressive and I think that carries forward in my daily interactions. I know that no matter how bad the day is/was, my hammock is at home waiting to comfort me in it's fabric folds of goodness. I even keep a hammock in the truck at all times just in case work turns into a four-letter word. Twenty minutes hanging between a couple of trees (or cars in the parking garage) does a world of good for my attitude.

I found bliss while living in a hammock in the woods. It only seemed natural to experience nearly the same at home. If I never own another bed, it will be a good thing. Heck, I even managed to find love once I stopped being a complete ***; hence my signature line. Hammocks were a novelty for me, but they became my therapy. If I ever get to live underwater and can have a hammock to sleep in, I'm pretty sure my heart will just stop due to a bliss overdose. Many worse ways to leave this world.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    Camping is now something to enjoy instead of something to tolerate.
    well said my friend...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast