Thread: IOLS Training

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

IOLS Training

So we had our district's Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills training this weekend. It is an adult scouter training course that basically takes leaders through all the skills a scout will need to master from Tenderfoot to First Class. For the second year, I was asked to teach the cooking portion.

My goal was to introduce as many types of cooking as possible with the hope that everyone would have at least one new experience.

For dinner, we made:

For breakfast, we had a backpackers breakfast. I just hadn't taken the time to dehydrate everything, so we used our imaginations:
    • Boil in bag omellettes
    • Bannock bread on backpacking stoves. I brought along a Emberlit, DIY bushbuddy, canister stoves, white-gas stoves, and alcohol stoves.

For lunch, we had pulled pork sandwiches from a pork roast that was cooked the night before in a dutch oven.

All the meals gave enough variety to go over all the cooking requirements we wanted to cover. It went very well - maybe too well, they already asked me to teach the cooking next year.

Which got me thinking, that in my pursuit to introduce innovative cooking methods, I think I will introduce the "cooler cooker" next year.
    Ribs (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=34959) and corn (corn and boiling water in a cooler for 30 minutes).

I'll have to verify, but I think by cooking them with the husks, we should be able use this nifty shucking method -

Anyway, hopefully it gives you some ideas for your future meals.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    OES Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    UGO
    Suspension
    Stock
    I too teach IOLS. I am sure the coordinator is very grateful for your assistance. It appears you were very thorough, and I have read your post with great interest - we are conducting our next class next month. (Am experimenting with recipe's for Friday eve meal - the only meal I prepare. Think I am going with the pork loin belly buster in the DO cooking thread. Will know tomorrow as I am experimenting with that recipe in the back yard)
    Thanks for all that you do for the scouts

YIS & OA

Images
    Man those scouts ate well. Thanks for the report and info.

• + New Posts