Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO, WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Images

Does a full UQ Squeezes?

Does a full UQ applies noticeable pressure on the sides of the hammock (squeeze)? I'm asking because I've tried suspending a down sleeping bag and felt squeezed especially where the suspension shock cords were coming up compared to using a Thermarest pad. The difference in weight (50 ounces for the sleeping bag vs 22 ounces for UQ) does not seen much to me...

Bruno
    Last edited by BrunoB99; 10-19-2011 at 21:33.

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoB99 View Post
    Does a full UQ applies noticeable pressure on the sides of the hammock (squeeze)? I'm asking because I've tried suspending a down sleeping bag and felt squeezed especially where the suspension shock cords were coming up compared to using a Thermarest pad. The difference in weight (50 ounces for the sleeping bag vs 22 ounces for UQ) does not seen much me...

Bruno
    I would think that it all depends on the size of the UQ. If the UQ is to small I could see it squeezing, but otherwise the UQ, when hung properly, shouldnt squeeze the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    At least for me and using a channel suspension for my UQ I find that my Hammock Gear Incubator does not restrict my movement or squeeze me while inside my Hammock. I lay asym and find it to be wide enough that I can sprawl out without feeling restricted. Now when no one is in the hammock it does squeeze the hammock and lift it up due to the tension on the sock cord in trying to keep it cinched up tight against the hammock. But once I lay down and spread out, the UQ spreads out with the hammock. Hope that helps ya out.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY Hennessey clone
    Tarp
    MacCat standard
    Insulation
    Burrow, Incubator
    Same here. My Incubator does not squeeze at all in any position.

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I can't even tell my incubator is there, except for the warmth. I think the heavier a UQ is, the tighter the suspension needs to be to keep it in place, and this may cause other issues.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    My UQ experience is with the way AHE does it on the Lost River. The shock cords pull through their locks when they are stretched beyond their fiber-limited lengths. So, tighten it too much when unloaded, especially at the head/ shoulder, and the expansion of the hammock body under load of the body will stretch out and then pull the shock cord through its locks. Residual spring-tension in the cord is too light to feel through the hammock.

The leg end can be a different matter, because the legs don't load and expand the hammock body. There, over-tight shock cords can be felt the calves, in my experience. But, that is an adjustment matter. It is not due to AHE having used shock cording with too much spring or from failure of the cord locks to self-release.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I have no problem with my AHE full length New River. I never even notice it, except it keeps me oh so warm.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH Standard
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    WS & Toggle
    Just got the incubator and trying it on HH Explorer for 1st time. Seems like the ends have to be pretty bunched up to avoid gaps. Is this pretty standard?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunoB99 View Post
    Does a full UQ applies noticeable pressure on the sides of the hammock (squeeze)?
    I never felt squeezed with the HG Incubator and a WBBB. However, I found that the colder it gets, the more I have to tension the shock cords. In some positions, I feel the shock cords against the head, which is not great. But usually it's possible to re-position. Apart from the shock cord, no squeeze. Although I have to say that I'm neither tall nor wide.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Fat2Pedal View Post
    Just got the incubator and trying it on HH Explorer for 1st time. Seems like the ends have to be pretty bunched up to avoid gaps. Is this pretty standard?
    That is my experience as well (Incubator & WBBB). I also had to add shock cords to the ends, preventing the Incubator to "sag" and creating air pockets underneath me. In warmer weather, I don't notice (it probably prevents overheating then), but as soon as the temperature drops, I'm cold.

Banned
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Thinsulate UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Bruno, do you have any pictures of your setup? So that the people here can look and figure out why you might be getting the squeeze.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast