DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Bring it on!

Separating UL - specific threads into a concentrated area will help more than hurt.

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    i agree, the best way to share to others who would normally either pass up the idea, or never hear of the methods ULer's use to bolster their success, is to have a UL forum here.

mods: you'll be surprised how much action you'll see.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I appreciate the support, both positive and negative!
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I dont see the need,,,,,at all for such a sub forum.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I dont see the need,,,,,at all for such a sub forum.
    At all? Consider that every single last Hammock or Hammock Accessory retailer has released new gear specifically designed to reduce weight within the last year. Some non-hammock related retailers have even designed and offered hammock specific ultralight gear.

If your opinion is based on a personal non-interest due to that fact that your yak carries your gear for you, don't forget that some of us do the work ourselves.

Focused discussion on UL hammock equipment is something worth fighting for IMO. For the betterment of all. I'm 22 years young and in decent shape, but I have a disease in both of my knees and recently damaged the muscles in my back. UL gear allows me to have a better time outdoors by limiting the strain on my back and knees. When you take into consideration that a large amount of our membership is on the other side of 50, I see a need that can be met.

The more we can enjoy the outdoors, and our hammocks, the better.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    This has come up before. It was decided against after consideration. While many members here are UL-advocates and hikers, not all are.

UL and SUL concerns are woven into many many threads on this site already. And those topics are already broken down into logical categories (tarps, uq's, tq's, etc). For instance a thread about a particular tarp will talk about weight, but that doesn't mean it doesn't belong in the tarp section any more. A thread that talks about lightweight suspensions certainly involves weight, but it still belongs in the suspension section. And the same goes for hammocks, quilts, bags, pods, pads, etc.

If you want to discuss the lightweight aspect (or lack thereof) of a particular piece of gear, then put 'UL or SUL' in the title and post accordingly. But there's no need to rearrange the forum to have that discussion.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    "not at all"
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl & WB XLC
    Tarp
    OESMCD W/PMOD
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ, JRB HR TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I dig a catchy title accompanying a post, and many do make me look.

I agree with angrysparrow, using the title as a moniker for a post's subject, is a very helpful and practical tool. Creating post tags and searching via tags are also useful. I believe that utilizing these available tools are a great way to work within the current HF.net framework and are a nice compromise to creating a sub-forum.
    "It's a wanderful life."

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Like I said, it's something I believe to be worth fighting for - so forgive me if I continue to try and gather support for this, unless you're saying that even with enough interest the powers-that-be will not ever be making an UL sub-forum. If that were the case I'd be very disappointed with HF.

Maybe there wasn't enough interest in the subject the last time it came up, but I believe there is now. If HF doesn't want to lose momentum it needs to be on the front line. There is money to be made, vendors to support, this is a means to help that happen. Hindering it will only serve to slow down progress. The people will create what they want, even if they have to do it in an unnecessarily complicated way. Why make things more difficult? "UL" can't be used as a tag because it's not enough characters, and not enough people use "ultralight" in text. The health and well-being of our members is directly effected by the gear they carry, and we have the power, and subsequently the responsibility to help in any way we can.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    Like I said, it's something I believe to be worth fighting for - so forgive me if I continue to try and gather support for this, unless you're saying that even with enough interest the powers-that-be will not ever be making an UL sub-forum. If that were the case I'd be very disappointed with HF.

Maybe there wasn't enough interest in the subject the last time it came up, but I believe there is now. If HF doesn't want to lose momentum it needs to be on the front line. There is money to be made, vendors to support, this is a means to help that happen. Hindering it will only serve to slow down progress. The people will create what they want, even if they have to do it in an unnecessarily complicated way. Why make things more difficult? "UL" can't be used as a tag because it's not enough characters, and not enough people use "ultralight" in text. The health and well-being of our members is directly effected by the gear they carry, and we have the power, and subsequently the responsibility to help in any way we can.
    OK let me tackle this for a minute. And keep in mind this is comming from someone who 3 years ago was pushing a 65lbs pack on a 5 day adventure and now that pack is around 23lbs for the same day with twice as many miles each day:

UL hikers are in the minority not to mention that there are already sites out there directly related to light weight backpacking.

Most of the world doesnt even know we exist.

Now if you wanted to lighten your load you can simply ask on what other's think of your pack contents. That's what I did. 99% of my load was lightened by discussion with other lighter weight backpackers and that was half the fun. There are many of us here on HF.Net that are below 10lbs base weight and when the question comes up most if not all of those members chime in and offer assistance.

For what it's worth that was enough to help me and perhaps that is still enough going forward.

Now as far as health and well being... with the exception of your case, most of the health and well being of the members is directly related to what they eat and how much exercise they do. Not specifically the gear they tote. There's plenty of thru-hikers who have manned up and did the entire trail with 60+ packs the whole way.

BTW thanks for the video on the Papa Smurf bug sock. That pushed me over the edge to get it.

Raul
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast