UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi

Lightbulb Ultralight Hammock Gear Sub-Forum

I think there is enough interest in the lightest hammock-tech to merit its own sub-forum. I also think a sub-forum like this would help to keep the forum more organized and to help focus online ultralight think-tanks, which would in turn help the community by the introduction of new lighter, possibly cheaper gear. While sites like BPL offer a hammock specific sub-forum, what it lacks is our community. The passion and knowledge in our community is capable of ushering in a new era of UL hammock gear, as it already has. A sub-forum dedicated to it would only help those efforts further.

May the force be with you!
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I am interested in this possible sub-forum.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    Your way ahead of your time young man ... I support the idea...
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Looks good to me!
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 oz. Asym
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Micro
    Insulation
    CCF
    +1 on the support!

This would be a great way to facilitate discussions on how to achieve SUL weights with a hammock. I'm all for it!
    less is more

Images
    we already discuss each component of a hammock system in its own forum and the weight of each piece is always in the discussion. oh, then we will have to define UL that's always fun
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    we already discuss each component of a hammock system in its own forum and the weight of each piece is always in the discussion. oh, then we will have to define UL that's always fun
    Agreed!

But I think that in each specific gear sub-forum there are enough threads dedicated to the weight of the gear that those threads deserve their own place. There are a lot of threads, for example, in the Bottom Insulation Sub-forum that are not focused on the weight of bottom insulation. Removing all the threads about weight will make that sub-forum and all of its threads easier to navigate.

Not to mention the ever-growing interest in the hammock community (a community about comfort I'd like to think) in lighter pack-weights. It's not for everyone - but there is a substantial amount of interest here

And think of what we will accomplish. Exciting prospect if you ask me.

And defining UL, SUL, and the fancy (yet scary) new XUL, has been done over at BPL. If we are the authority on Hammocks they are the authority on UL. I'm satisfied with their definition but as hammockers we will have to find our own. While that discussion may be one that stirs things up a little - it's one we can have. We have the positive focused individuals and hard working mods to keep that kind of conversation driven toward cooking up some knowledge.

HammockForums should be on the cutting edge, front line of all things hammock related. This included.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    it would be nice to see but i don't think it will happen
    there are a lot of UL guys and Gals here and i do agree with KK there really is no need for it we pretty much cover it in the sub forums we have now
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm a very weight conscious backpacker, and have been an active member of BPL for over six years. So, you would think I would be all for this new sub-forum, however, I can see some confusing outcomes.

Different folks have varying perspectives on what is light, so the question of where to post something could get confusing.
    Also, if I limited myself to looking in the UL sub-forum at quilts, let's say, I may miss a very neat trick someone came up with that would make suspending an under quilt easier, although not lighter.

IMO, there is a good breakdown structure in HF as it stands. There are enough categories to keep things organized but not too many sub-forums that would baffle what remaining brain cells I have left.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest or GT Ultralight
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    GoLight 3STQ & CCF
    We could just put it as a sub forum under general hammock talk. I don't think it has to be a defined forum, will add to the discussion if we get to argue... I mean discuss what that is ourselves

The long distance forum doesn't get used a ton, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Might help some of us newer users to learn just how light some of these experts can go!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast