Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    After my last trip, I was wanting to do this to both my head and foot end.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    I saw a "Night Owl" on my last trip out that had this and I sure was envious. Your creations are always appreciated and great instructions Knotty!

Fronkey
    Yes, Wilderness Logics uses this on their hammock. I believe they put one at the head end on one side and the other at the foot on the other side. I do both at the foot because I like to alternate diagonals when I sleep.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetmusic View Post
    I use 5/32" two part eyelets - NOT the one piece eyelets that look like a rough star on the back of the fabric. These are smooth on both sides of the fabric so there's no snagging. Small shock cord goes through smoothly. They are available at Hancocks with a plier type of setter, which I find MUCH easier than hammering an anvil type setter. It was a great use of a 40% off coupon.

And for the weight watchers, a set of eyelets doesn't even register on a gram scale.
    Will have to check those out. The button hole process is a pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Thanks, Knotty! Yet another great, simple design. I'll definitely be trying this for my "winter" hammock as soon as the sewing machine gets out of the shop.

Thanks for sharing.
    I'm a big fan of netless hammocks, especially in Winter, so you can feel and adjust your under quilt easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Great post Knotty! Thank you for taking the time give us the step by step, can't wait to make one of these, and then one of Fronkeys bugnets!

Cheers
    Mission accomplished. My whole goal is to encourage others to DIY.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Another great DIY project added to the list! Thanks again Knotty.
    You are welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Thanks Knotty, I have seen it in person and it works perfectly!
    Appreciate that CB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_R View Post
    Very clever.. I would be interested in trying one of thoughs if you ever make some
    Sorry but I don't make these to sell. I'm so slow with a sewing machine that I'd be working for less than minimum wage!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    I made a hammock like this and it is very comfy. Well done Knotty, as always.
    Glad you're using one Syb.
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I use a channel that runs the full length of the side, so buttonholes are unnecessary. It works fine with 1/8" shock cord, but it can be made lighter by using about 30" of shock cord connected to a lighter weight line.

Alternatively, a "button hole" can be made by sewing a 1" piece of webbing or grosgrain to the hammock and burning a small hole in it with a soldering iron. (Do this before you fold the fabric over and sew the channel.)
    We talked about that. Wish I had remembered your idea. Would have made one that way. By using a combination of line and bungee inside the full length of the side hem it definitely saves weight over full bungee. Do you locate the bungee in the center? Also like the grosgrain/burn hole approach. Especially for 1.1oz. Doing four button holes is the hardest part of this project.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    After my last trip, I was wanting to do this to both my head and foot end.
    Go for it!
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I use a channel that runs the full length of the side, so buttonholes are unnecessary. It works fine with 1/8" shock cord, but it can be made lighter by using about 30" of shock cord connected to a lighter weight line.

Alternatively, a "button hole" can be made by sewing a 1" piece of webbing or grosgrain to the hammock and burning a small hole in it with a soldering iron. (Do this before you fold the fabric over and sew the channel.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    We talked about that. Wish I had remembered your idea. Would have made one that way. By using a combination of line and bungee inside the full length of the side hem it definitely saves weight over full bungee. Do you locate the bungee in the center? Also like the grosgrain/burn hole approach. Especially for 1.1oz. Doing four button holes is the hardest part of this project.
    I locate the bungees at the opposite ends - about where you have yours. I suspect it would work okay anywhere along the edge.

The grosgrain/burn hole is very easy. I put one at each end of the channel so I can adjust the overall tension and the proportion of bungee to lighter cord, then I tie each end off with a loop that slips over the hammock whipping. If you don't whip the ends (just use a channel) they could be tied to the suspension rope or a ridgeline. Just to be accurate, I know I suggested grosgrain - and I think it would work - but I used 3/4" long pieces of 1/2" wide lightweight polypro webbing on my insulated hammock with side stretch.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Knotty, finailly got mine finished today. I used a combination of small grosgrain rectangles sewed onto the channel, then put button holes on the grosgrain. Had fits trying to do button holes in my 1.1, so the grosgrain helped reinforce things.

I'll try to post of some pics of my Knotty Stretch Side Hammock tomorrow. Thanks for all the information.

Mike

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    WV - Thanks for the input.

Mike - yes, please do post some pics.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm like Knotty in that I like to switch angles when I roll over because I only can sleep on my side. So I would go with the two "footboxes" at the foot end.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    My first D.I.Y. hammock, and its a Knotty Stretch Side. Thanks again Knotty for all the great information. It works like a charm. Click on a picture to make it larger in PB.

Grosgrain reinforced buttonhole sewn on.

Knotty's Stretch Side Hammock weight, 8.5oz w/102" of zing-it for a 100" structural ridge line, mason's twine for gathered end, 2 bungie's one ea. side, & 2 Dutch Dynaglade whoopie slings. I made my hammock a little longer at 10'-8" cut.

All stretched out and ready to provide some comfort. I slept in it last night, perfectly comfy. You can see it all fits perfectly inside my ZPack tarp.

A look at the Stretch side bungie's. I may take the left side out completely as I don't sleep in that direction. Maybe not, will decide later.

Gathered End is Warbonnet style. In my structural ridge line I tied a perfection loop in each end of the Zing-it. Then pulled through the center of gather and ran my whoopies though the perfection loops. I used masons twine for the initial gather.

Total System-Knotty's stretch side hammock, ZPacks tarp, Dutch buckles & straps, Stuff Sacks (Thermolite Reactor stuff sack used for hammock) & 6 Lawson Ti Stakes. Total weight 21.6oz. The pic on the right is Dutch's new buckle style. I used the bungie to wrap around the whoopie loop to provide a little more security to keep the loop from slipping off. It works but I don't think its needed.

And a little extra props to Knotty. My wrist gauntlets. I added a pocket on top for a chemical heat pack and put a dart in the palm area to make a more snug fit for my hand. I used an old fleece pullover I had for my first set, off to the fabric shop to pick up some heavier fleece now.
    Last edited by BearChaser; 10-22-2011 at 15:49.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    BC - Thanks for documenting your project. Based on your weights it looks like you used 1.1oz ripstop. One of the ones I made was in what looks like the same 1.1oz woodland camo. I got mine in a group buy from Scott Littlefield quite a while back. Did you get it from his DIY supply store? 21.6oz for the whole kit is pretty sweet. Also glad to see you customized the wristies to your own needs.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Knotty - Yes its the 1.1oz from DIY gear supply. I also got 5 yards of the 1.5oz. but it wasn't as wide as the 1.1, so I went with the lightest to test it out. So far so good. I was very pleased with the weight. The weight I listed above was everything but my quilts & sit pad that I occasionally use for under the calf area.

My entire system for sleeping and cover includes tarp, tie outs, stakes, hammock, pillow, slings, straps, sit pad, and 3 season top/bottom quilts on the Dolly Sods hang weighed 6.77 pounds, it now weighs in at 4.425 pounds.

And for an update, night 2 in the KSS Hammock even better than night 1. I think in the back of my mind I was waiting for something to give on the first night, last night I didn't even think about it. I have also been using regular blankets, and thanks to the bungie at the foot area the blankets stay in the hammock with me. I also put a buttonhole in the bottom of my little stuff sack and passed the whoopie sling through it. Now I don't have to worry about loosing my stuff sack or stuffing wet slings down in with my hammock.
    Last edited by BearChaser; 10-23-2011 at 13:47.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    BC - 1.1oz fabric still scares me a bit. I had written it off after discovering some stressed areas in a previous 1.1 gathered end I made. Keep me posted on how yours holds up. All you ultra light hikers keep making me rethink things. Next thing you know I'll have a Cuben tarp.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast