WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I finally went and threw a DIY hammock together today out of red Joann's ripstop. Full fabric width of 60" and 10.6' long.

I went with the stretch side, but just used cord locks instead of buttonholes/ grosgrain tiedowns. I put cord locks on both ends of each shock cord, and put a small knot outside of the locks. If need be, I can remove the extra cord locks if one on another piece of gear breaks in the field.

Works great! Thanks for the inspiration and walk through. Hope to see you at the Sods again this spring, Knotty!
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    You're welcome Mike.

Thanks for the invite to the Sods but seriously doubt I'll be able to make that one.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Hey Knotty!

I've been looking over your instructions for a few days as I wait for some fabric to arrive (I have a wicked habit of giving away hammocks to my buddies) and have a couple of questions. Your original gathered end hammock instructions mention a length of 11' 6" and the new ones go to just 10' 6". What inspired the change? Second, would it work to stitch the end of the bungee/shock cord, run the cord through the side channel and out a grommet type of opening and adjust the end closest to the middle?

As always your instructions are fantastic but I was wondering about this stuff.

Thanks,

Mike
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    3m - Long 11.5' hammock is a little large for many common tarps, so I made this one smaller to see if it was still comfortable for my 6'2" frame. it is. May even try 10' next time.

Regarding stitching the bungee, etc. Makes sense to me. I just couldn't find a way to reliably stitch the bungee with my sewing machine. If you come up with a method that works, please let me know.

Good luck.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    3m - Long 11.5' hammock is a little large for many common tarps, so I made this one smaller to see if it was still comfortable for my 6'2" frame. it is. May even try 10' next time.

Regarding stitching the bungee, etc. Makes sense to me. I just couldn't find a way to reliably stitch the bungee with my sewing machine. If you come up with a method that works, please let me know.

Good luck.
    I love this mod, no more kicking out my top quilt! Thanks Knotty.

Somehow Detail Man sewed the shock cord in for my hammock he made for me. He used barrel locks on one end of the shock cord and sewed the other ends into the hammock hem. It feels like there is something else in there reinforcing it. I'm guessing Grosgrain.

He made my hammock 11' and at this length I love how I can sleep on my side and in semi stomach positions.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    knotty,i also love your stretch side hammock tensioners.put them on the last two hammocks.
    as regards to sewing the shock cord in.i sewed the shock cord to a piece of grosgrain ribbon that was about 4 inches long.i used a wide zigzag that was just smaller then the diameter of the cord.the needle would miss the rubber part but go through the fabric wrap of the cord.i sewed about 2 inches up and back onto the grosgrain.then i inserted the grosgrain/shockcord into the hem/chanel and sewed it in stitching on each side of the shockcord through the grosgrain and on the remaining 2 inches of grosgrain.holds very well and is hidden inside the hem.
    diyin to hang

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images

Good luck.
    I did this and it seemed to work. I tie an overhand knot in the bungee. Then I set my machine to do the widest zigzag stitch possible. I then stitch a 1/2" or so down the length of the bungee. With the zigzag the needle hops completely over the bungee. Once finished the overhand knot keeps the bungee in what is essentially a thread sleeve.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie

Good luck.
    Thanks Knotty, you always come through. I have yet to get a hammock quite as comfy as the first one done in Headchanger (stitched tube, flipped & folded) fashion. I have some really good upholstery thread that I got a great deal on and I have stitched through some thick stuff with it. I may give it a go on the next one.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I finally made one for myself!

I started with 11' x 5' of 1.5oz ripstop. I used some bricklayers' line to pass through the end channels and wrap the ends to make the knob which retains the suspension.

I couldn't decide whether I wanted the shock cord to be both at the foot end, or one at the foot and one at the head. My solution was to make entries and exits for the shock cord at both ends on each side so I can swap it around as much as I like. In the end I think I prefer one at the foot and one at the head.

My injector has a "triple strength" stitch, which is a straight stitch that goes forward, back over the same stitch, then forward again before moving on to the next stitch. It's nice and strong, and it also allows for some stretch so that the stitching doesn't pop when I sit in the hammock (not that it would have anyway, but it's nice to have extra insurance).

I used a serger (I think that's what you call overlockers over there ) on the ends to stop unraveling before doing the rolled hem, but just a simple rolled hem on the sides, since they were sealed anyway, being the edge of the fabric.

It's a beautiful hammock to lie in! I experimented with a ridge line, but in the end I just removed it; I found it comfortable in a wide enough range that I can easily set it up properly without the aid of the ridge line. I might put one on again later if I want to have an organiser or something, but for now this is great for lounging at home.

Finished weight (without suspension) is 280g (9.9oz). I'm pretty happy with that! It seems to have no trouble whatsoever with my ~200lbs.

All thanks to Knotty for such a wonderful design, and DIY Gear Supply for all the stuff I used to make it.

Here are some shots of my entry/exit points, as well as the end.

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Glad to see so many are taking on stretch-side projects this Spring.

Bindibagi - Good thinking on constructing the hammock so you can add bungees at any of the four "corners" at any time. From the pics, it also looks like you simply created a gap in the hem to allow the bungee to exit? Great idea.
    Knotty
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast