Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Great to hear that! How cold did it get down where you are? It was down to 41 when I woke this morning here in Gainesville, and under insulation is absolutely needed at those temps. Did you use a pad? Or a sleeping bag? Or something else?

Fortunately, it also means that the skeeters are too cold to bother anyone, making for a topless night (insert bad joke about adult entertainment here ).

Sorry to hear about the acrobatics, but it's certainly a learning curve on getting in and out of the hammock. Glad you weren't hurt.
    Lower to mid 50s... I used a couple of comforters (it got crowded in there) and used my sleeping bag (old bag that is rated for 40ish) and was warm enough. Unfortunately it wasn't cold enough here to slow the skeeters down too much. They were buzzing me and wishing they could get through my netting when I got up in the morning.

The fall was good for some comic relief before bed . While I do know how to safely get into and out of a hammock it was the rush to avoid the skeeter cloud that made me not pull it apart enough and not pay attention to what I was doing. Lesson learned

I did learn that I'm not really interested in having anything in the hammock for insulation other than a TQ since everything you lay on goes all over the place and is difficult to adjust to exactly where you want it. I have the materials to make the IX UQ from diygearsupply so I might even try to work on that tonight. I also need to make something to keep my stuff in that I can hang off of the ridgeline. So many projects...

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    About that backyard look at it this way, it's bigger than most people have and you don't have to pay property taxes! Finally getting some nice weather to hang in around here and it looks like your off to a good start. Would have loved to have been there for your flip, would have helped you up. After getting myself of the ground from laughing. Hit the floor twice myself recently. Once from tying a knot backwards in muletape, didn't know you could do that. Next missed the hammock and sat in the UQ. Seems to never be anyone around to share these with.
    Yep, my back yard is a few acres over 13,000
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    We have ALL done the fall on your butt hammock entry before. I did it once in pouring down rain and ended up in a puddle of water. lol

Hammocks can take some time to get used to but it sounds like you had a pretty good first night in one. Great job!

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    Lower to mid 50s... I used a couple of comforters (it got crowded in there) and used my sleeping bag (old bag that is rated for 40ish) and was warm enough. Unfortunately it wasn't cold enough here to slow the skeeters down too much. They were buzzing me and wishing they could get through my netting when I got up in the morning.

The fall was good for some comic relief before bed . While I do know how to safely get into and out of a hammock it was the rush to avoid the skeeter cloud that made me not pull it apart enough and not pay attention to what I was doing. Lesson learned

I did learn that I'm not really interested in having anything in the hammock for insulation other than a TQ since everything you lay on goes all over the place and is difficult to adjust to exactly where you want it. I have the materials to make the IX UQ from diygearsupply so I might even try to work on that tonight. I also need to make something to keep my stuff in that I can hang off of the ridgeline. So many projects...

Dave
    Oh, yeah. I hear you on not wanting to mess about with extra stuff in the hammock proper. A knee pillow and a poncho liner top quilt are quite enough, thank you. Glad to hear that you were comfy enough with the insulation.

Sorry to hear about the skeeters continuing to be a nuisance, but...hey...Florida. And, yeah, once you get an underquilt going, be very careful not to put yourself into it rather than the hammock (just about did that myself the night before last; if I hadn't had netting permanently attached to the hammock, I'd've wound up on the ground too).

Good luck with the IX. I've been looking at that myself here for a bit...

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Congratulations on your maiden hang! Just looking at the picture of your hammock made me sleepy! ZZzzz...
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1" foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2" diy straps
    hammock dive scorecard -------> [9.9]

• + New Posts