DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    My setup allows me to adjust without having to move much in the middle of the night. I can adjust the head or foot end w/o trouble. It takes 4 prussik loops on the ridgeline and a couple of carabiners. I've been really happy with this setup. Hope my mad paint skills helps explain it:

Scum you're the man. I made some insultex underquilts and always had trouble getting a good seal. The IX was always smooshed or there was a gap. This should do the trick. Will report back with the results.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Since I lie on a diagonal, it has never made any sense to me to align the uq with the hammock c/l. I scrapped the suspension on my KAQ in favor of a rig that is adjustable on all four corners, so that I can skew the quilt to more closely align with my body.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    It works great! Having the adjustments overhead makes it so much easier.
    One thing about the insultex, It was static clinging together and that was killing the needed gaps between layers. Might have to cut a small hole for each layer and spray with anti static spray.

Thanks again

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    It works great! Having the adjustments overhead makes it so much easier.
    Really glad you guys like it and it's helping! Suppose I should have shared this sooner. Sorry.

I made some insultex underquilts and always had trouble getting a good seal. The IX was always smooshed or there was a gap.
    For the IX UQ, if your still struggling w/ air gaps, try making a horse collar at the head and foot end sort of like what is on most sleeping bags.
    Here's what I did w/ mine (ignore all the suspension lines etc. This was right after making it. This is just to demonstrate the horse collar:

Notice I have some paracord inside the collar. This was to help cinch up the collar even more against the hammock. I've since replaced this w/ shock cord. It works perfect.

The shock cord guarantees a seal for me. When I had the paracord, I could feel it pressing against my legs/shoulders when I had it 'cinched' too tight. With the shock corded collars, it works perfect. No more fiddle factor. Just tighten my overhead pulley system and I'm set.

Now: For an UQ which is narrower than the hmmk, and a sleeper who sleeps with shoulder to hmmk side, where are the lines and prussiks to raise one side of the UQ?
    This is my case as well. I actually have a diy double (extra 10" of material on each side) and my UQ is just wide enough to wrap my shoulders. I have had no issue with the UQ not being right where I need it. I think when I lay diagonal, it sort of automatically pulls it where I need it? Sorry, not something I've really thought about since it's never given me issues. I just know that my setup works for the case your explaining...

Loving this! Sure beats getting out of the hammock to adjust the UQ on a cold night.
    AMEN Brother

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Scum, I gotta say that is a brilliant suspension rig. Gonna have to give that a go myself.
    Thanks for posting that.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    I put horse collars on when I made them but they needed to be filled with insulation. I stuffed them with some leftovers and now they seal great. Will post pics tomorrow.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scum View Post
    My setup allows me to adjust without having to move much in the middle of the night. I can adjust the head or foot end w/o trouble. It takes 4 prussik loops on the ridgeline and a couple of carabiners. I've been really happy with this setup. Hope my mad paint skills helps explain it:

Maybe I'm stupid, but I couldn't get the hammock ends through the shockcord loops without the ridgeline also going through the shock cord loops... Do you have to have a detachable ridgeline for this set up? or cut the shockcord loop of the underquilt in half and make two lines with bowlins at the ends? I think this idea is awesome too, but I can't make it work.

Remember, dumb it down for me!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Scum:

Please find the current thread on prevalent UQ leakage, and point to your "horse collar". You have a boon to leisure here with the UQ rigging adjustments taken indoors; and a game changer in the horse collar, if it were more widely offered because it was more often demanded. (A $2000 ultra-insulated refrigerated isn't worth $1800 more than the 20 year old one if the gaskets on the door leak as though absent.)

I'd like to ask you there, in the appropriate thread, about experiments you may have done to find the best gasketing material and design.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe I'm stupid, but I couldn't get the hammock ends through the shockcord loops without the ridgeline also going through the shock cord loops... Do you have to have a detachable ridgeline for this set up? or cut the shockcord loop of the underquilt in half and make two lines with bowlins at the ends? I think this idea is awesome too, but I can't make it work.
    Got the OK from the wife to run for the hills and setup my hammock to take some pics this afternoon. I'll post tonight and hopefully make it clearer

Please find the current thread on prevalent UQ leakage, and point to your "horse collar"
    I think I know the thread you're talking about. If so, they started talking about draft collars already. I'll see if I can't find it again, or just PM with the link if you have it.

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post

Remember, dumb it down for me!
    Is your shock cord continuous through the sides?

Add 2 loops to the end of shockcord and a mini biner .
    Last edited by BodhiKnight; 10-24-2011 at 02:33. Reason: typo

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast