Thread: Home UQ

Home UQ

This morning I woke up at 5am freezing. It is getting cold in Atlanta and the temp in the house had dropped below 65. I sleep in my hammock most of the year. I have an ENO for outdoors and a queen sheet hammock for indoors. Last winter I had a pad and sleeping bag but I would unzip the bag over night and then get cold.

I had an interesting idea today.

I had another queen sheet hammock that I had used but put it away in favor of the one I currently used. I took the old one and put the new one inside. It hen got old T-shirts, sheets, cotton shirts, etc and created a layer between. If it it not too lumpy then this make work well for this winter. Since I keep the house around 68 I do not need a major quilt. I just need some insulation.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    mamajamba
    Insulation
    Speer/thermarest
    Suspension
    whoopie
    that sounds like a good ideal if it was me I may get one of those egg crate looking things and cut it to the right size

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    it was 59* in my house the other morning. Fell asleep on the couch with a 3 season burrow & was toasty.

I have a brazilian hammock in my woman cave (garage attached to finished basement) that I throw an old sleeping bag in. it does get lumpy from time to time -- nothing a little adjustment doesn't fix. comfortable & warm

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Both of my indoor hammocks have poly batting insulation. Even this summer with the AC at 75 f you would get the CBS. The 1st I just stitched batting to 2 yds of fabric and stitched to the edges of the hammock and gathered the ends with shock cord. The 2nd is my new hiking hammock in progress with poly sewn to a light polyester under hammock. Finally getting cooler weather so will be able to test the hiking hammock outdoors. It has a pocket to slid an insul-fleece layer into if needed.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Re: Home UQ

Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Both of my indoor hammocks have poly batting insulation.

I have thought about making an indoor hammock with canvas, batting, and sheet. The canvas on the outside, then batting, and finally the cotton sheet on the inside for comfort. I may have to try that.

The insulation idea seemed to work well for the temps I try to maintain in the house during winter. I'm having an issue where my blanket keeps coming out of the hammock or moving around and not covering me. It is old so I'm going to add some strapping on it today and convert it to an over quilt. It will wrap over the hammock. I do not have a ridge line.

The stand I use is simply a standard metal stand like you see at home depot. It is black. Works very well but my office is a bit small. I have to step over it to get to my desk. This means that the hammock is up only when I want to use it.

• + New Posts