1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Prussik with Cord Locks

I didn't take pictures (I know; I know), but last weekend I used a Prussick/ Cord Lock combo I wanted to share.

I use Prussiks to attach my tarp below the tarp ridgeline. I wrap about 6-10" of line for my Prussik around the ridgeline then tie the two loose dangling ends to my tarp ridgeline tie outs. I always found this tedious and awkward.

This weekend I looped my 10" piece around the ridgeline, but then instead of tieing the loose ends to the tarp, I just connected them with a cord lock. Very easy. I hope that makes sense without pics.

I ended up finding other applications. To go into porch mode I needed a prusik about 10 feet long. I tied one with extra line and then attached the end to the corner of my tarp with a cord lock. The 10 foot distance would normally be difficult to tighten the prussick to the correct tension. With the cord locks it was easy.

Hammock
    DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY 11x11 silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY IXUQ, 0* SB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    Images
    I think I'm picturing this. Wouldn't the weak point then be the cord lock coming off? I've never found cord locks to hold up to much tension so I could see this popping off in a good gust of wind. I may be envisioning this completely wrong...

I've always liked the idea (though have never done it) of using prussiks for the tarp connection to the trees. It's on my todo list though. I plan to use a prussik tied to the tarp line w/ a carabiner on the end of the prussik. Just wrap around the tree, clip onto the tarp and use the prussic to tighten the setup. Think I saw this idea on a sticky in here. Similar method could easily be adapted to guylines without the carabiner.

I'd be interested in a pic or diagram of what your explaining. A cord lock would be a lot lighter than a carabiner setup if it works as smoothly as you say.

Here's the sticky I mentioned.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16650
    Last edited by scum; 10-21-2011 at 10:22. Reason: found sticky

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I use a prussik with a soft shackle on it to connect to the tarp for the most part now, its a little more versatile for me.

You could put a cord lock on your prussik cordage, then finish off with a diamond knot. Slide the cord lock up a few inches after securing the prussik, pass the diamond knot through the loop on your tarp, then between the 2 cords on the prussik, slide the cord lock to "lock" that in place.. kind of like a soft shackle, but using the cord lock to secure it. I've played around with this as well, and it holds quite good.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    I use a prussic loop on both ends of the tarp with a hook (one from the original HH setup, one from my sailing days.... ) going to replace them with s biners.

One hook might move to the end of the ridge line and one Nite ice fig 9 on the other hand... the 'heavy' alternative to Dutch's set I reckon....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Scum,
    I can tell from your comments you are picturing it correctly.
    You are correct that it is a weak system for critical areas like tarp to ridgeline. A Carabiner gives more strength or to save weight you could tie a quick knot below the cord lock.

Jason Jones,
    Soft shackles are one of those things I want see in person at a group hang. I like your soft shackle / Cord lock combo. I may go that route for my permanent tarp to ridgeline setup.

I still like the prussik - cord lock combo. In general I only use knots and no hardware, but cord locks are now part of my gear. I did not describe the porch mode application, but the cord locks made a non-critical and somewhat odd configuration easy. It is the first time I used a prusik with 10 feet of line.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJones View Post
    I use a prussik with a soft shackle on it to connect to the tarp for the most part now, its a little more versatile for me.

You could put a cord lock on your prussik cordage, then finish off with a diamond knot. Slide the cord lock up a few inches after securing the prussik, pass the diamond knot through the loop on your tarp, then between the 2 cords on the prussik, slide the cord lock to "lock" that in place.. kind of like a soft shackle, but using the cord lock to secure it.
    I love this! It is such an eloquent solution! And, I love the colors
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    GTs & DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    Jason Jones,
    Soft shackles are one of those things I want see in person at a group hang. I like your soft shackle / Cord lock combo. I may go that route for my permanent tarp to ridgeline setup.
    PM me your address and I'll make/send you a pair out of 7/64" Amsteel for you to play with. Tell me how big of a loop you want..

I love em, I think I have 8 in use on my general setup. 2 for the tarp ridgeline prussiks, 2 on the ends of the hammock, 2 for the hammock Ridgeline, and 2 for my underquilt. They pack easier and are lighter than carabiners with the full strength of a larger carabiner.

• + New Posts