Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    And you could double them up for real cheap and still pretty light.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    And you could double them up for real cheap and still pretty light.
    When I first cut my HH ridge I used two of 'em, but then I tried one and watched really carefully for the 'biner stretching or bending at all - nothing. So apparently one is enough, at least for me. Of course, a heavier person would need something stronger.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

This is just my opinion, and I have a top-loading (Speer-type) hammock, not a Hennessey, but I use 550 cord (real stuff) for the ridgeline and I like it a lot. The little bit of stretch is perfect, once I rig the thing to the right length (I disconnect it to pack the hammock into the snake-skin like thingies). There's not a heck of a lot of stress on mine once I am in it, but maybe that's because it's not strung super-taut when I hang the hammock. Is there a lot of tension on the ridgeline in a Hennessey when you are in it?

Thank you for the link to the lightweight biners! I just ordered two pair, that is a great price and light!

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    JMHO, but if there's not a lot of tension on your ridgeline, it's not doing a whole lot for you structurally. The stuff I used last weekend was like that - I'd pull the suspension tight as can be, get in, lay there for a while, get back out, and the whole thing would be loosened. That means your sag is changing while you're in the hammock; not exactly what I wanted the ridgeline for
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Images
    I used para cord on my last hammock. The problem I had is it is too stretchy. Whenever I would hang something on it, the ridgeline and my stuff would be in my face. I now just use the same webbing that I use for the tieouts.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I used para cord on my last hammock. The problem I had is it is too stretchy. Whenever I would hang something on it, the ridgeline and my stuff would be in my face. I now just use the same webbing that I use for the tieouts.
    do you mean the tieouts on your tarp?
    is that 1" webbing like you use for hammock supports?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    do you mean the tieouts on your tarp?
    is that 1" webbing like you use for hammock supports?
    No just on the hammock. I guess I need to keep up with the conversation.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    JMHO, but if there's not a lot of tension on your ridgeline, it's not doing a whole lot for you structurally. The stuff I used last weekend was like that - I'd pull the suspension tight as can be, get in, lay there for a while, get back out, and the whole thing would be loosened. That means your sag is changing while you're in the hammock; not exactly what I wanted the ridgeline for
    I use the ridgeline primarily to keep the bugnet (or, when I finish it, spindrift tube/sock thingie) off of my face and to hang my glasses and headlamp on at night. It's under tension, not sagging, but I don't think the forces are all that great. It does alter the sag of the hammock, which I want it to do. Maybe my goals and/or procedure are just different?

When you hang your hammock (not a Hennessey, I know those are strung differently), is your ridgeline already attached, and you pull your ropes/webbing as tight as you can at the trees so that the ridgeline is taut and nearly level, or do you hang your hammock and then attach and tighten the ridgeline? Since I reattach my ridgeline pretty much the same way each time after I tie my hammock ropes to the tree huggers, I don't tighten it up while I am in the hammock.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonas4321 View Post
    When you hang your hammock (not a Hennessey, I know those are strung differently), is your ridgeline already attached, and you pull your ropes/webbing as tight as you can at the trees so that the ridgeline is taut and nearly level, or do you hang your hammock and then attach and tighten the ridgeline? Since I reattach my ridgeline pretty much the same way each time after I tie my hammock ropes to the tree huggers, I don't tighten it up while I am in the hammock.
    I think any hammock with a structural ridgeline works pretty much the same way as a HH. Or at least that's how I work mine (or try to, since I don't have decent cord for a ridge yet).

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    I think I asked this way back when but have slept since then. Do you use a special knot or way of tying the ridgeline to the biner?
    This is my signature.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast