Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Patrick, I stole your idea and put the 550 sheath around some amsteel 7/64 cord. Tried to pull through and ended up doing it the slow way, inch by inch. Looks and works great. Thanks for the idea
    What ever works go for it. I ended up on my butt on the ground last time I used para cord as a load bearing line.

What is your setup and how are you using it? I am interested to see how it is working for you when it would not for me.
    The Amsteel 7/64 cord inside the sheath makes this paracord "super secret stealth cord"

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    let us know how they work out... they look exactly like a set i have that are rated to only 300 lbs... i used them successfully, but decided i didn't like pushing the envelope that much, and went to slightly heavier ones to hang from. if they do work, i've just saved another few ounces!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i've brused my back-side (& pride) a few times, and chiped a bone in my elbow pushing the envelope w/ hammock supports<g>, so think i'll play it safe.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images

cambier

how are you using the cambiers to hold up the hammonk?
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Hey everyone....quick question. I purchased a couple of those .8oz load-bearing biners for my ridgline. I went to the animted knot website and in each end of my cut ridgeline, I tied a bowline (with the loop you can form) and then I added an overhand stopper knot for extra safety.

I can now easily slip both ends of my ridgeline onto/off of 1 biner. Is there any advantage to useing 2 biners....meaning each end of my ridgeline slips onto its own biner, and then the biners attach together? I put 2 pics of what I mean. I prefer the 1 biner (save that .8 oz baby!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    Michele,

I have two of those same biners and use just one. I might suggest that you tie a larger bowline in the non-biner end. I found it much easier to hook it in with tired or gloved hands that way.

I considered using two biners, but at the ends of the hammock, so that when the ridgeline was undone, it could be completely removed so it wouldn't be dangling. I decided that would be one more thing to worry about losing, though, so didn't end up doing it.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Use a biner on one end and a larkshead on the other end. Like the pics on my hammock supports page. Then you can unclip the biner and slide the ridgeline through the loop at the other end, and remove it w/o untying the hammock.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by The Breeze View Post
    how are you using the cambiers to hold up the hammonk?
    I use webbing on the trees, clip the biner to the webbing, then tie the ropes from my hammock, gear hammock and tarp to the biner. I use Technora T100 rope (5mm) on my hammock.

I like this because the biner is much kinder on the tree webbing than the thin rope is. I have seen damage on my polypro webbing tree straps from the rope. The biner leaves no marks, and that makes me feel safer.

I think it's easier to tie the ropes to the biner than to the webbing too, as I can cinch up the webbing snug to the trees. It's tough to thread the rope between the webbing and the tree if they are snugged up.

Images

cool

thanks for all the help on this formum I think I have got to the point were I feel ready enouff to go to the woods .well when i get that underquilt finishes
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Use a biner on one end and a larkshead on the other end. Like the pics on my hammock supports page. Then you can unclip the biner and slide the ridgeline through the loop at the other end, and remove it w/o untying the hammock.
    Ok...I've been looking at your site, and I looked at how to make a larks head knot on the animated knots site, but I'm not understanding how to make one on the cut end of my ridgeline when the other end of it is still connected permanently at the HH knot. I'd LOVE to be able to tie my hammock and then be able to connect/disconnect the ridgeline w/out having to untie and retie my hammock, but I haven't figured out how yet. What you're saying here sounds like this is the way, but I'm not quite getting it.

I attached a pic. Obviously the two ends of the ridgeline going outward are going to the HH knot. So how do you make a larks head w/the left one? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is my signature.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast