Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clark Hammock rain fly

First I'd like to thank you guys for the info on my first question. Second question is can you use the fly on the CNA independently of the hammock to get better tension in high winds? If not, what do you fellas suggest? I've read about buying other tarps, but not really interested in that if I can make this one work.

thanks

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Z-Liner
    Suspension
    SMC Ring + Rope
    Images
    First thing I did was detach the fly from the hammock. Just keep in mind that it will make it more difficult at first to get the coverage right. You'll need practice. The XL will keep the hammock dry and give you some small working area in a light rain but if the wind kicks up you have to pitch it pretty steep and most of the space evaporates.

I tie the bug net out to the trees if I have the tarp higher using the bungee cords or self tensioning lines.

I actually like the XL. It seems fairly flexible and light but once again, don't expect miracles in coverage with wind plus rain.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Clark rain fly

Quote Originally Posted by photomankc View Post
    First thing I did was detach the fly from the hammock. Just keep in mind that it will make it more difficult at first to get the coverage right. You'll need practice. The XL will keep the hammock dry and give you some small working area in a light rain but if the wind kicks up you have to pitch it pretty steep and most of the space evaporates.

I tie the bug net out to the trees if I have the tarp higher using the bungee cords or self tensioning lines.

I actually like the XL. It seems fairly flexible and light but once again, don't expect miracles in coverage with wind plus rain.
    Excellent advice. I leave my Clark fly attached at all times, but can see the advantages of disconnecting. The Clark fly is great for protecting the hammock, as that is what it was designed for. As soon as my first spare Clark fly arrives, I'm going to play around with adding some extra material to it, ala Grizz and his JRB tarp mod, which is why I have the post looking for Clark tarps. I want to try to elimate everyones argument that the tarp is too small for hanging out under, cooking, etc.. with a little DIY.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    With some mitten hooks from Youngblood and some cord, I fashioned some longer lines for attaching my bugnet to the ridgeline pullouts of whatever tarp I use.

It holds the bugnet up just fine and allows for any tarp you wanna use . . . and pitching it as high or as low as you want.

You can see the line in this picture (that I apologize for posting so many times now).

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    > I want to try to elimate everyones argument that the tarp is too small for
    > hanging out under, cooking, etc.. with a little DIY.

Um, isn't making the stock tarp bigger so people won't say the stock tarp is too small kind of "a self-defeating power, warrior?"

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Clark Fly

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    > I want to try to elimate everyones argument that the tarp is too small for
    > hanging out under, cooking, etc.. with a little DIY.

Um, isn't making the stock tarp bigger so people won't say the stock tarp is too small kind of "a self-defeating power, warrior?"
    Contradictory, yes; it no longer becomes a stock tarp, but it's still the basic Clark design that I like, just expanded. It's also a lot cheaper than buying a new tarp! A couple yards of $1 walmart ripstop should make a huge difference in coverage, even if it is "self-defeating" in the way I described what I'm trying for. A misstatement of my purpose - I guess I want to prove that the tarp is not useless as some suggest, with a little DIY it can be made just as worthy as any other tarp as an all-purpose tarp and not just a hammock cover.

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I always keep the tarp set-up separate from the hammock set-up...and actually, if I don't have to deal with 40mph wind-driven rains which switch direction in the middle of the night, the stock XL tarp is just fine for me to live under...I use the hammock as a chair and find I have plenty of room to live comfortably under the XL tarp...I think the XL would be just fine in most conditions and, if I DO have really bad winds, well, I'll deal with it...the Weathershield is a great windbreak...and, wind is one of the reasons I'm going to be using a Jetboil this year...

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    With some mitten hooks from Youngblood and some cord, I fashioned some longer lines for attaching my bugnet to the ridgeline pullouts of whatever tarp I use.
    Any issues with rain running down the cord to the bugnet in incliment weather? You must be using something for drip stoppage on that line (knot, string, etc).

Also, OT, I like those little Kermit Chairs. Too bad they're too heavy for backpacking.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    My chair of choice? The original Slinglight...it weighs 1 pound 4 oz with the headrest and I would NEVER forgo the headrest...I've fallen asleep in that chair...not for heavier folks (over 250) or those with bad knees, I might add...I even dayhike with my Slinglight....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Any issues with rain running down the cord to the bugnet in incliment weather? You must be using something for drip stoppage on that line (knot, string, etc).
    Good question. Usually the knot tying the ridgeline to the tarp acts like a drip stopper. RAW will have that and the knot on the mitten hook that ties to it. He hooked the mitten hook over the tarps ridgeline. Maybe all that will work.

When you have a line with water running along the bottom edge, the water can either follow the slope of the line or fall directly to the ground. Which happens is a function of the slope of the line versus the surface tension(?) between the water and the line. If water runs down the line, then you need a drip stopper or something to divert it from where you don't want it to end up. With the slight slope and the thin line used on tarp ridgelines, I haven't noticed water coming down it as a problem. When I have thought to look, I have only seen a little dripping from the knot tying the ridgeline to the tarp.
    Last edited by Youngblood; 05-01-2008 at 17:21. Reason: Added last 2 sentences
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast