Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Can I ask a few about the BMBH? It is listed at a max weight of 250 Lbs is that chisled in granite for say...someone who weighs in about 20 lbs over that? Length at 6-2 will it fit (I rarely sleep stretched out)? Now for the wife who this hammock will actually be for; any here with mild claustrophobia find the shoulder squeeze be too much (talking subjective degrees I guess)?
    If you have not already, see post #16. I don't really have much if any claustrophobia, but to whatever degree I do have it the BMBH certainly does not increase it. As much as I like a PeaPod, I think it on a GE hammock might be way worse for the claustrophobic unless you basically just don't close it up near the head, In which case you are going to need at least a summer TQ.

Lay in your bed on your back. Now fold your arms over your abdomen, with your left hand under your right elbow, right hand under left elbow, or some slight variation of that. Now, imagine the hammock just touching both shoulders. Not squeezing, just in contact with. That is, for me, pretty much what it is like in the BMBH. Unless I am using my 25" wide self inflating pad, in which case there is no shoulder contact at all. I am 6'1.5", 210-215 lbs depending on the day.

Now picture just barely turning on your rt. side, just moving an inch or two towards one side. ( your back will be supported by the stiff sides of the BMBH). Now, your rt shoulder is contacting the hammock as it would in all hammocks, but your left shoulder is not contacting at all. So any "perceived" so called squeeze is now non-existent. Same thing of course for an actual full side position.

Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    Looking at the bridge hammocks, I wonder how do they compare. Should I make one? Why should I? Where can I cut weight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    Guys, guys, guys there is another commercially made bridge that everyone is always forgetting about

http://helsdonoutdoors.com/
    Dang, I forgot about the Chrysalis in TWO different threads! Poor form considering I owned one until recently. In my defense, the OP did mention he was looking to cut weight. Then again, I suppose the Chrysalis has plenty of weight to be cut! But it IS a comfortable hammock.
    Last edited by BER; 10-25-2011 at 19:48.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Danalex View Post
    Guys, guys, guys there is another commercially made bridge that everyone is always forgetting about

http://helsdonoutdoors.com/

42" spreader bar at the head end and slightly shorted at the foot. No shoulder squeeze and no calf pressure, low sides to get in and out easily and to lay sideways. Not at all tippy just not micro light.
    So Dana, are you able to use the Phoenix UQ with the Chrysallis? Or must you use a pad?

I guess the 5 lb weight- and price of 210 CDN- includes the overfly? I suppose the shipping from Canada is horrible?

Have you tried the Overfly? Wondering how well it covers?

I wonder if there is a way of getting the weight down with spreader bars such as used with the GrizzBridge or JRB? Or is the steel bar required due to some sort of extra forces caused by this design?

@BillyBob58

At least with the older version of the Chrysalis, your last question has been answered here. Changing out the suspension and spreader bars can drop the weight significantly.
    Last edited by BER; 10-25-2011 at 20:34.

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    The new hammock doesn't have the cinch buckles so weight it cut a lot.

Yes, I use my Phoenix Summer and my Mount Washington with no issues, I use s-biners and attach at the ends of the spreader bars. I have used a pad to supplement the summer quilt and it makes the lay very nice but I just seem to sweat too much on them. My fave is the Neoair but only when it's very cool out.

I have the three pieces, the hammock, the bug net and the camper sleeve and vary according to conditions.

I use a nice OES Black Cat winter tarp for bad weather and if rain is iminent because withe the camper shell the UQ will get wet. With a pad only on the inside it will be fine. I like all the different options.

The spreader bars really aren't very heavy compared to the total weight so I don't bother looking for lighter alternatives. It all weights what my solo tent used to weigh and I don't carry it on my back, either by canoe or motorcycle.

Images
    Thanks Ber and Dana!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123