HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Wind Problems with a HH

Help!!!! I have a HH expedition asym classic with rainfly. I built a bamboo tripod hammock stand because I am going to a paddlefest at Port Aransas this coming weekend and will be camping on the beach. Last night I was testing out the new stand and a big storm blew through. Everything held up nicely except for my rainfly. The wind blew it into my hammock. I bailed before the rain came because I knew I would break the seal and get soaking wet if I stayed. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem with what I have. I don't have time to buy a superfly or anything. I do have some regular tarps that are like 10X10. Thanks for any commments or suggestions.

Patrick

Images
    Everything being equal (set-up, wind conditions, etc...) a larger tarp acts like a larger sail - catches more wind. Based upon your information, I assume the tarp was not in "batten down the hatches" mode. With severe wind you need to keep the tarp "tight to the hammock" to minimize the sail effect.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    With your parameters I would be thinking about pitching a second tarp as a wind break. Preferably so the wind hit a slanting surface. This also gives you a shelter when out of the hammock. Too many variables to get more specific but a lot of examples of how to pitch a tarp if you look around. You do need to keep things tight and cozy.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Everything being equal (set-up, wind conditions, etc...) a larger tarp acts like a larger sail - catches more wind. Based upon your information, I assume the tarp was not in "batten down the hatches" mode. With severe wind you need to keep the tarp "tight to the hammock" to minimize the sail effect.
    I think that was my problem.....I didn't have my hammock tied tightly to the rainfly. The rainfly was tied down to the ground and pretty tight. I started out the evening with the tarp up on a stick of bamboo. When the wind came, I removed the stick and tied the rainfly down to the ground and cynched it up tightly. Hopefully there won't be any high winds on the beach. Thanks for the help.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fauxpat65 View Post
    I think that was my problem.....I didn't have my hammock tied tightly to the rainfly. The rainfly was tied down to the ground and pretty tight. I started out the evening with the tarp up on a stick of bamboo. When the wind came, I removed the stick and tied the rainfly down to the ground and cynched it up tightly. Hopefully there won't be any high winds on the beach. Thanks for the help.
    It's all a learning experience - we all remember challenges, part of the contininuous improvementent process - shall the knowledge... enjoy the process...

• + New Posts