Tarp
    MacCat Del w/doors
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Compromise anyone?

I posted this over on the decender ring sticky but that thread has not had much added posting attention in many months so I decided to start it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Weasel View Post
    This may have been suggested or tried before but it has been a week since I sat down and read all 69 pages about this technique. I believe I should receive an honorary Hammock Hangers Doctoral Degree for that one. Dr. Little Weasel has a nice ring to it.
    I have the rings, biners and cinch buckles. I am waiting on the straps to arrive so I can test and find which I like better so. Therefore, I can not currently test this idea.
    As I sit here looking over and messing around with with the rings, cinch buckles and some rope, it appears to me the reason most have to tie a backup slip knot is because the roundness of rings gives the straps nothing to grab onto.
    What if you were to take 4 cinch buckles, cut the v shaped cinch out and use 2 of the buckle frames on each strap just like the decenders ringers? The squared off corners and ends would give alot better holding power and slippage would probably be eliminated. There would be a slight weight penalty but his may solve the slippage issues with rings and the problem some have getting the buckles to release if pulled to tightly on a ridge line hammock.
    I have since cut the cinches, tied two together using a prussik and it seems to be working great. Weight penalty is .6 oz for four altered cinch buckles compared to the rings. I could not even get a length of spectra to even slip no matter how hard I tried. The flatness of the buckles lets then clamp down on each other much tighter. I do not think a backup slip knot would be needed.
    Last edited by Little Weasel; 04-28-2008 at 20:35.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Interesting.

Besides the obvious curiosity in trying this, is there a particular benefit? What problem did you encounter with a cinch buckle that led you to cut the slider?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    pulling the suspension fully tight causes lots of initial drop and extra stress on everything past the ends of the ridgeline. is there an advantage to pulling things that tight?

Hammock
    HH with ZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Del w/doors
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Interesting.

Besides the obvious curiosity in trying this, is there a particular benefit? What problem did you encounter with a cinch buckle that led you to cut the slider?
    I have not tested any of these sytems yet on the hammock because I am still waiting on the straps to arrive. Several report problems with the buckles in the cinch buckle sticky being difficult to impossible to loosen on demand. Amost 100% report slippage with the rings and the need for a backup knot. Since Onrope1 sees fit to make you order a minimum to 5 buckles, I ordered 6 and now have 4 extra to try something new with. Just trying to solve both issues with one system.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    This has been on my hammock stand since I made it. I've been too busy, then sick with colds, then too busy AND sick, to go hiking lately. But it's working just fine on the stand...really makes switching out and adjusting the hammocks easy.

I've noticed one hassle so far. If I pull it really tight, then want to undo it before I get in, the buckle is tough to undo. I have to pull hard to get the buckle in the position to loosen. But if I lay in it for a while it kinda settles like a knot, and that's enough to make it easier to undo. Maybe it's the webbing still stretching.

But that's only an issue when I really cinch it down. Wouldn't even be a consideration without a ridgeline...with a ridgeline, just don't tighten quite so much and it's still fine.

I don't see any reason it would work differently in the field. Can't wait to test it out, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Porkbutter View Post
    I was just going to post about this when I read your comment. I was playing around with the buckles AND a ridgeline trying to what they are all about. I was also using overly long straps stretched out to a silly distance between trees. (I know, too many variables at once) So, naturally, I had to pull the straps really tight to keep my butt off of the ground. I was completely unable to release the buckles. I had to cut the ridgeline to get enough slack. It was fortunate that I was also playing around with a ridgeline at the time, or I would have had to cut a strap.
    Last edited by Little Weasel; 04-28-2008 at 22:36.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    Dr.,

Do you have any photos of this procedure?
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    HH with ZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Del w/doors
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    Dr.,

Do you have any photos of this procedure?
    Let me see what I can do here. Gimme a sec.

Hammock
    HH with ZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Del w/doors
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    That is not my hammock line or strap in the pic. Just some para cord and a pack strap used for the pics.

The other benefit I see is that eveything (cord, strap & buckles) stays lined up better with the squared ends which many report as one of the reasons the straps may slip in the rings. Grams counters may want to know 4 SMC rings=1.6 ozs., 4 altered cinch buckles=2.2 ozs. and 2 OEM cinch buckles=2.0 ozs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Little Weasel; 04-28-2008 at 22:32.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    I say if it aint broke dont fix it. The cinch buckles work perfectly for me and I dont recall anyone having any problems with them. The JRB TrI-Glides are a better and lighter option as well. www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Tri-glides.htm
    Been meaning to buy a pair and try them out.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    well it looks pretty good Little Weasel.
    no thing wrong w/ experimenting. it may not turn out to be a bad idea.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    HH with ZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Del w/doors
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    well it looks pretty good Little Weasel.
    no thing wrong w/ experimenting. it may not turn out to be a bad idea.
    Thanks slowhike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast