Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images

Goose down mummy to UQ

I found the other day an old Northface goose down mummy bag for 7 bucks at value village! I researched last night how some DIY guys and gals convert them and was supper excited to do the same. That is until the excitement wore off and I realizes the work I would be forcing either my mother or sister to do. I would like some feedback on my latest idea on using the mummy bag as a UQ. Here it is:

1. Zip up the bag and lay it flat.
    2. Along the sides sew fleece or other heat retaining material. The reason for this is because the bags down is not sewn into squares, just long rectangular channels and I'm afraid the down will fall to the center.
    3. Sew channels for the shock cord.
    4. place under hammock and hope I'll stay warm in the cooler NW nights.

Here is what I'd like to know:
    Do you thing this will keep me warm or will my shoulders and sides be cold? I'll still use my regular mummy bag as my TQ.
    If this seems like an alright idea any idea on what fabric to use on sides?
    Should I just pony up and do the mods?

Hammock
    Dutchware knotty mod
    Tarp
    Toxaway
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    Straps currently
    Images
    do the mods, they sound about as easy as sewing on additional fabric. then give it to me. Also your mom is making my tarp and diy ge first

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    This is what I would do.
    Get your mom or sister to show you how to sew a straight line on the sewing machine.
    Borrow the machine and go somewhere that bits of escaping down won't be a problem.

Unzip the bag.
    Sew two parallel lines of stitching about 1/2 inch apart across the top edge, ignoring the hood. Cut between the parallel lines. Some down escapes, not too much.
    Ta Da! The hood is gone and you have a nice straight edge for the head end of the quilt.

Most mummy bags don't open all the way up. A few do.
    In any case, cut the teeth off the zipper (if you can). This leaves the zipper tape in place in the seam and the down won't escape.

If it opens all the way, you are done except for adding channels for gathering up the foot and head end, and loops for suspension.

You might want to cut off the end of the bag if it is a funny shape. Same procedure as head end.

If there is a foot box, it might be possible to unstitch the seam below the zipper, or you can do the parallel lines trick (awkward, but possible with a sewing machine) along the seam, cut between, and Ta Da it is open.

Find some wide ribbon or something to bind the edges of the bag and at the same time make a channel to draw up the ends of the quilt.

For 7 bucks it is worth experimenting on.

Here's my 2008 thread about the hard way to do this
    and here's an overnight report (turns out the bag was so heavy it pulled away from the bottom of the hammock, or maybe the shape of the sleeping bag did not match the hammock very well. Solved by hanging another quilt below to hold it up and I baked all night.)
    -Liz -

Hammock
    DIY Bridge: The metro
    Tarp
    DIY - 11 by 9.5
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    marlin sp./whoopie
    Images
    Thanks E.A.Y. You mentioned in your trip report that It didn't work out that well, you had cold spots on your shoulder. Do you think that was because there wasn't enough down in the bag to make a good loft or was it because it fell towards the bottom?

What are your thoughts doing the mods you suggested and placing one layer of Insultex on the outside of the UQ? Would that help retain enough heat to keep warm while the down keeps the insultext at a far enough away so IX can do its business?

Thanks!

• + New Posts