Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Summerlite/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

AT shake-down GA

Hello all!

Just a quick trip report on my first section hike on the AT! Hammock style!

Arrived Monday night and the Amicalola Falls visitor center was closed so signed in at the after-hours board. The steps on the approch trail really get your attention! Great views of the falls and mountains with the fall colors. Very excited to be there.

Only made about 3 miles the first night and set up camp with my GT Nano and WL Tadpole tarp. Awesome weather in the 50s but coyotes howling all night kept waking me up!

On Tue had a great hike and was suprised to walk up to the plaque so soon. Hung out awhile and talked to the others there. The weather rolled in around dark and hung on the side of a hill in Horse Gap by a road used by huge Army trucks. Rained off and on all night and only had a few drips. Need to seam seal a few more spots but was happy with the tarp and d-rings.

Packed up Wed in the windy rain and hiked to Gooch shelter for lunch. The rain then stopped but still cold! Got hazed alittle by 6 sobo thru hikers but that was fine. They were making time! Camped at Miller Gap and got to 39f but was toasty in my WM Summerlite and WL down 3/4 UQ (thanks AScott!)

Thur morn hiked to Wood's Hole shelter for lunch and to get out of the freezing wind! Could not belive how far off the trail it was. Blood Mnt had a good dusting of snow and was very fun to see but some other hikers were bummed out. Very cold but really enjoyed the hike. Was excited to get to Neels gap and just hang out for lunch and look around. Best $3.50 hot shower I've ever had and the bunk house was set-up nice. Very clean. I've read about it and seen it in the '2000 Miles to Maine' dvd. Everyone there was really nice too.

It was only 2pm so did not want to quit hiking so got Ron the shuttle guy to take me back to the top of Springer. This time I had a camera and got some pics. Hiked back to Black Gap shelter and camped up the trail. Only got down to 39f this time and the sun woke me up in the am.

Friday for fun took the Hike-Inn trail to check that out. Neat place. LOTS of day hikers on Friday and they don't care who sees them poop in the woods. Walked up on 2 different people in the act! How about walking OFF the trail a ways people!

Made it back to the visitor center to look around. Tried to take a shower there but the on/off handle came off in my hand and got soaked in cold water just like some bad Chevy Chase movie!

Super fun trip and talked to lots of nice people. The shelters were cool and the trail well marked. This was a shake down for my 2012 thru and was very happy all the gear worked out great. Only one small rub on the back of one foot. Was glad to hike in the cold/rain/snow as I have not been able to test that yet and found I'm fine with it. Was easy to find nice trees to hang from too.

Looking forward to doing Neels to NC next time before doing the whole thing in 2012!

Some extra notes...

There is LOTS of trash at some of the shelters. Two had huge kitchen bags full of trash hanging from the bear cables.

Meet several people that had bad blisters after only a few miles and one dude who got sick and was in trouble on the second day. Out of water and a huge pack. Others could not do the cold and wanted to go home.

Water was dry in places but still was able to find enough no problem.

Only saw one deer and 3 grouse. (we don't have these in my part of SC). Owls hooting every night was cool too.

Here's some pics... http://s936.photobucket.com/albums/ad206/SnakeSession/

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    Sounds like you had a great shakedown trip. Glad that your gear performed well and you enjoyed a variety of weather situations. Hope the trip from Neels to NC is as good or better.

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip & good test of gear!
    Weather has been perfect the past few days since that rain

thanks for sharing

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Summerlite/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Know this is VERY late but here's a quick slideshow of most of the pics I took on the trip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLtsSUWZ1YY

Getting excited it's almost time to get started on my 2012 thru hike!

Also planning a quick 30 miles on the Foothills trail this week to knock of some rust. Later, Jeff AKA Loner
    Happy hangin! Jeff, aka Loner, aka SnakeSession

Hiking/Hammock videos on YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/user/Loner2012AT

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Hey SS . . . just curious if you were keeping an online journal of your thru? If so, shoot me a link, I like keeping up with thru hikers via their journals as I am not in a position to do one myself... yet.

Thanks from almost nearby Irmo SC!

And GOOD LUCK
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Summerlite/WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hey thanks for asking Muskrat!

I have http://trailjournals.com/LONER

but mostly will be posting video updates on http://www.youtube.com/user/Loner2012AT .
    Happy hangin! Jeff, aka Loner, aka SnakeSession

Hiking/Hammock videos on YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/user/Loner2012AT

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Great! Thanks. . . have booked marked your journal and will suscribe to your YT
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season
    Insulation
    Yeti/HG W Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Thanks Loner, Just subscribed too. Looks like you are in for the time of your life! Hope to follow you next year.
    "If you push something hard enough it will fall over."
    -Fudd's first law of opposition.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Nice trip report and pics,,have a safe trip this summer and experience all life has to offer you. Keep the faith!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

• + New Posts