Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ

Grand Trunk Nano - big enough to sleep in?

I've been giving some thought to cutting down the weight of my hammock setup. Presently I have some cheap tarp that, while it will cover me from rain that's coming down at an angle fairly close to straight vertical, won't do a ton more than that. My GT UL SB is a few oz over a pound with whoopie sling suspension. I know that if I were to switch it up to a Nano 7 and a Papa Smurf bug sock, I'd have the same hammock+bug protection for around half the weight.

The question is, is the Nano large enough to sleep in? I've been quite comfortable in ULSB. I'm 5'9", 140 pounds, so a pretty skinny dude. Seems most people on here are larger, but I'm just wondering if the Nano is large enough to get a flat lay in for an overnight sleep.

Also, Dynaglide whoopie slings: The whoopieslings.com site says they have a "hammocker" weight limit of 200. Obviously I'm far from that, but I'm always scared of coming even within a few dozen pounds of weight limits. What's the actual weight limit on those things?

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I'm 5'9, 130lbs and my Nano 7 with papasmurf bugsock is my main hammock currently.

I consider 5'9 the absolute height max for a nano 7. In fact - if it wasn't for the extreme weight savings I would use a GT UL and papasmurf bugsock for the extra space due to current back problems unrelated to hammocking.

Its tough to get a diagonal lay in the Nano 7 without a ridgeline. I usually sleep straight, but with my back messed up (but getting better every day) it's been tough to lay straight.

Otherwise I get snug in the Nano 7 and sleep like a baby.

Someone (I think Cranky Bear) has a custom hammock that's the length of the Nano 7 but the width of the UL. Sounds like the perfect hammock to me!

The dynaglide Whoopies would hold three of you.
    Last edited by R00K; 10-23-2011 at 10:55.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    I guess if I feel there's any danger of it not being big enough, the regular GTUL is a pretty good fallback. Only like three to five ounces more, depending on who you ask.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Right - Nano 7s with the dynaglide ridgeline and whoopies will sell pretty quick in the For Sale section.

Buy the hammock without the bugsock and just see if it'll work for you first. GTUL are about $20 shipped on Amazon. Sometimes cheaper.

You can order a Nano 7 or GTUL with dynaglide ridgeline and whoopies from PapaSmurf at MyDIYgear.com
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm 5'9", 175 lbs and I sleep like a baby in the Nano-7. I do have a ridge line which helps me get the best hang for me. At first I had to experiment with the ridge line length to get the best lay for me. My Nano-7 is more comfortable than my GTUL and my HHHL. YMMV.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I agree, after many nights in the Nano 7 - it's more comfortable for me than the GTUL.

My current problem has to do with my back.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    Im 6' and 225lbs and have slept very comfortably in my Nano7.
    Chris

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Quote Originally Posted by rigidpsycho View Post
    Im 6' and 225lbs and have slept very comfortably in my Nano7.
    Wow, the guy I usually backpack with is something like 6' - 175 and his feet hang off the end when he lays diagonal in mine, thats why he didn't get one too. How do you lay in yours? Maybe he can shave a few more ounces off his kit.

Hammock
    GT Ultra Lite
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Various means
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I received a Nano 7 about a week ago and have slept 4 nights in it very comfortably. I'm 6'1, 205 lbs and lay diagonally just fine in it (no feet overhang). I use no ridgeline, and have replaced the stock carabiners with whoopie slings (of course ).

I've heard much smaller guys and gals say they can't get comfortable in it. But then again, I've heard some grown dwellers say they can't get comfortable in any hammock, so I guess it's all in how you set it up!

Never cease innovating.

I have a couple of UL's, a SB Pro, a Double, and a single. I Am 5'9" and 185lbs and I don't think I could get a good night sleep in a nano. I can get prety comfortable in a UL but I just don't sleep well in them so I think the nano would not work for me..
    I have to have room to stretch out and move around in, so a few extra onces is a trade off I can live with

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast