anyone over 6' use HH Exp. or UL Backpacker

i want to know if anyone over 6' here uses either the Expedition or the Ultralight Backpacker

i got an UL Explorer but i feel like i could fit in a Backpacker no problems after spending a few hours in the Explorer

can anyone who does this give their opinion?

im 6'3" but only 180lbs so im under the weight limit for the Backpacker and i have a tendency to curl up right away in a hammock so i dont think the smaller size of the Backpacker would be an issue

anyways i want to swap for the UL Backpacker and just wanted to hear opinions first (if any)

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anarky321 View Post
    i want to know if anyone over 6' here uses either the Expedition or the Ultralight Backpacker

i got an UL Explorer but i feel like i could fit in a Backpacker no problems after spending a few hours in the Explorer

can anyone who does this give their opinion?

im 6'3" but only 180lbs so im under the weight limit for the Backpacker and i have a tendency to curl up right away in a hammock so i dont think the smaller size of the Backpacker would be an issue

anyways i want to swap for the UL Backpacker and just wanted to hear opinions first (if any)
    I'm 6' 1", 190 lbs. My first HH had the same dimensions as a UL Backpacker, but it felt a little cramped and so I moved up to the UL Explorer and was much happier. Didn't curl up though, tended to lay with my legs extended.

Grizz

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    I am 6'3" 195 lbs and my UL Explorer worked ok for me except for the slit pressing on the back of my left leg. I would be concerned that issue would be more pronounced in a shorter hammock.

Images
    Don't know which one will be best for you. But I am right at 6'1", and in my experience, generally speaking, the longer the hammock, the more comfortable and the better for laying on your side. I just don't think I would be as comfortable in the ULB as in my EXPL UL, but I have never tried the ULB. I have 3 hammocks of 8.5, 9 and 10 foot length. And their comfort seems proportionate to their length. Though I bet my theory would not apply to a Bridge hammock, as long as it was long enough for you to fit in it.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-29-2008 at 17:28.

I think that you can cheat with the height limit a lot more then you can with the weight limit.

I'm only 5'10'' and I use the Explorer Ultralite because I like the extra room I have inside of it. But I'm mostly using it for ocean kayaking rather than hiking so an extra few ounces isn't a big deal. However, I did meet a guy at trail days who was 6'3'' or 6'4'' and he used an Ultralite Backpacker and claimed that he was fine.

I guess it's really just your call on what's more important, comfort or low pack weight.

another thing is that i was planning to use it for stealth camping, but the UL Explorer requires a huge distance to hang it well, and it looks huge when its hung with the fly; i was surprised how un-stealthy it was; another reason to use a shorter hammock is you can hang it on closer-standing trees if you cant find anything else; then again ive had my HH for 1 day so i really shouldnt be judging anything yet =)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by anarky321 View Post
    another thing is that i was planning to use it for stealth camping, but the UL Explorer requires a huge distance to hang it well, and it looks huge when its hung with the fly; i was surprised how un-stealthy it was; another reason to use a shorter hammock is you can hang it on closer-standing trees if you cant find anything else; then again ive had my HH for 1 day so i really shouldnt be judging anything yet =)
    If memory serves, the Ridge line is 8" longer on the Expl than the ULBP. Also, the tarp is about 8" longer. I think the ULB requires a min of 12 feet between trees, the UL Exp requires 13 feet.

HH site says 10" for ridgeline

you can hang the hammock end to end (no rope span) its not comfy but if you can only find close-spaced trees that might be your only choice; anyways in a situation like that a 1ft shorter hammock makes a noticeable difference

you can hang the ULB on 8ft spaced objects if you really have to (even less if your really pressed); i tried this out with the ULE but i need more experience with this stuff to really comment, but in a stealth camp situation i can see this being a huge advantage

• + New Posts