Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Thats a whole lotta sweet cuben goodness!

Good review WaterMonkey!

Cheers

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    "OMG it's full of stars..." That is alot cubic feet.
    Now for the 64K question what was the the price
    tag for all that real estate?
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Insulation
    UQ + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie slings
    Images
    Informative, and funny!
    You da man!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Ginger Madness! HA! Funny WaterM!
    9.2 ounces????? What??? I'm currently awaiting the arrival of said 'Winter Palace'...love that name by the way. .... .. even at 9.2 it will save over 8 ounces from my previous King of Tarps...oh 11.2, my margin is shrinking! Now I'm worried, I didn't ask Stormcrow for any R&D, only for pole pockets.
    Side pull outs? Are they still doing those? Seems so 90s. OK I guess there is a need but scratching the head on this one.
    Good to see the doors completely/overlap close--some of us remember that was a failure of the Speer Winter Tarp.
    I'm with you on the bungies stake to stake for the doors...and the loops of bungie to each stake big enough to be 'gloveable'...learned that at a Mt.Rogers hang and reinforced on a Roan Mountain hang. At 1.6F with 20 knot wind no time to shed the gloves.
    OK back to the side pullouts=more lines=spaghetti tangles and more stakes....the advanced set up is pole mod.
    Is the tarp ridgleline outside the tarp-----only for this vid's purpose? I'd recommend to any to put the ridgeline inside the tarp in actual winter use...the benefits are many including more support for the tarp, place to hang the giant lantern so you can find you way back after a trip to the water souce/pee sojurn AND a place for a prussic to grab that pole in the pole mod.
    S-biners on prussiks? They work, maybe consider nacrabiners? less chance of failure, infinitely stronger. S-biners easier to use in winter. Have you used in ice? I've found it easier to keep either under the tarp so they don't ice up, then its a moot issue, but IF you have to keep the tarp ridgeline above the tarp a nacrabiner for me is easier to manipulate when iced up than an s-biner.
    Extra width taped to increase the overall width very very very wise WaterMonkey....just for those without the deep watermonkey pockets know you can always set the hammock low enough to allow the tarp to 'go to ground'..in a deep snow situation (ask Darby about the 3 foot deep snow trench he hung in on Roan Mtn) you can always lower the hammock below the snow pack with a little digging.
    The inside view----yes HUGE amounts of room. For those new to deep winter camping the beauty of being able to bring all sides (doors) to the ground is the emulation of a tent. A tent can be 10-12 degrees warmer than the outside...that's 10 free degrees! BUT you are the souce of that interior heat. The smaller all that room is the better/easier for you to approximate that 10-12 degree benefit. Of course lot's of room has its benies when it comes to changing clothes/cooking etc. Just remember when you build an expedient brush shelter you build it to fit your body....everytime we setup a winter tarp we are in essence emulating the brush shelter of old.
    Bungie cord to a spear? ok the hiking pole....looks like one of various traps I've made. Not for me. Cool that you'd risk the hiking pole turned sharp projectile heading toward a $ 300-400 tarp. For the novice in snow camping leave out the spear/hiking pole--just not a good idea in 30 knot winds....take the tie out junction to a snow anchor (the hiking pole does make an excellent snow anchor) and be done with it.
    Now I'm all about being jacked up on Dew. Remember Ponce de Leon...searching for the Fountain of Youth....well the good Lord has given us the Essence of Life-Diet Mountain Dew.
    Video was awesome. Loved the entertainment.
    My opinion on snow camping
    MM

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the video.
    And I am waiting.
    On this,
    http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...products_id=21

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Mid vid update..... Just watched the intro and it's looking awesome. Ok I'm back to it now.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Yet another cool vid WM, although I'll never need the deep winter tips here in aust, I'm thinking I may give a few of them a go on the superfly.

Images
    i finally found the drawing

i really like that extra foot on each corner. still can set up in a tight A and not enough to hit ground when closed. NICE.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    The inside view----yes HUGE amounts of room. For those new to deep winter camping the beauty of being able to bring all sides (doors) to the ground is the emulation of a tent. A tent can be 10-12 degrees warmer than the outside...that's 10 free degrees! BUT you are the souce of that interior heat.
    Bungie cord to a spear? ...
    Cool that you'd risk the hiking pole turned sharp projectile heading toward a $ 300-400 tarp. ...

MM
    Wisdom, Let us attend.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Thats a whole lotta sweet cuben goodness!

Good review WaterMonkey!

Cheers
    Glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    "OMG it's full of stars..." That is alot cubic feet.
    Now for the 64K question what was the the price
    tag for all that real estate?
    $369 is the price tag. I paid a little over $100 after selling some gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
    Informative, and funny!
    You da man!
    Glad you liked it!

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    Ginger Madness! HA! Funny WaterM!
    9.2 ounces????? What??? I'm currently awaiting the arrival of said 'Winter Palace'...love that name by the way. .... .. even at 9.2 it will save over 8 ounces from my previous King of Tarps...oh 11.2, my margin is shrinking! Now I'm worried, I didn't ask Stormcrow for any R&D, only for pole pockets.
    Side pull outs? Are they still doing those? Seems so 90s. OK I guess there is a need but scratching the head on this one.
    Good to see the doors completely/overlap close--some of us remember that was a failure of the Speer Winter Tarp.
    I'm with you on the bungies stake to stake for the doors...and the loops of bungie to each stake big enough to be 'gloveable'...learned that at a Mt.Rogers hang and reinforced on a Roan Mountain hang. At 1.6F with 20 knot wind no time to shed the gloves.
    OK back to the side pullouts=more lines=spaghetti tangles and more stakes....the advanced set up is pole mod.
    Is the tarp ridgleline outside the tarp-----only for this vid's purpose? I'd recommend to any to put the ridgeline inside the tarp in actual winter use...the benefits are many including more support for the tarp, place to hang the giant lantern so you can find you way back after a trip to the water souce/pee sojurn AND a place for a prussic to grab that pole in the pole mod.
    S-biners on prussiks? They work, maybe consider nacrabiners? less chance of failure, infinitely stronger. S-biners easier to use in winter. Have you used in ice? I've found it easier to keep either under the tarp so they don't ice up, then its a moot issue, but IF you have to keep the tarp ridgeline above the tarp a nacrabiner for me is easier to manipulate when iced up than an s-biner.
    Extra width taped to increase the overall width very very very wise WaterMonkey....just for those without the deep watermonkey pockets know you can always set the hammock low enough to allow the tarp to 'go to ground'..in a deep snow situation (ask Darby about the 3 foot deep snow trench he hung in on Roan Mtn) you can always lower the hammock below the snow pack with a little digging.
    The inside view----yes HUGE amounts of room. For those new to deep winter camping the beauty of being able to bring all sides (doors) to the ground is the emulation of a tent. A tent can be 10-12 degrees warmer than the outside...that's 10 free degrees! BUT you are the souce of that interior heat. The smaller all that room is the better/easier for you to approximate that 10-12 degree benefit. Of course lot's of room has its benies when it comes to changing clothes/cooking etc. Just remember when you build an expedient brush shelter you build it to fit your body....everytime we setup a winter tarp we are in essence emulating the brush shelter of old.
    Bungie cord to a spear? ok the hiking pole....looks like one of various traps I've made. Not for me. Cool that you'd risk the hiking pole turned sharp projectile heading toward a $ 300-400 tarp. For the novice in snow camping leave out the spear/hiking pole--just not a good idea in 30 knot winds....take the tie out junction to a snow anchor (the hiking pole does make an excellent snow anchor) and be done with it.
    Now I'm all about being jacked up on Dew. Remember Ponce de Leon...searching for the Fountain of Youth....well the good Lord has given us the Essence of Life-Diet Mountain Dew.
    MM
    Well this post has about 10,000 bits of info so let me address the ones I find very interesting:

Pole Mods - I'm a bit leery with poles on the inside for fear of tearing the cuben in a misshap. Has anyone done poles in a cuben yet?

Making sure the bungee cord is glove approved - excellent point I shall revisit

Tarp Ridgeline outside of the tarp - I've tried the ridgeline on the inside on my old Big Mamajamba and my Zpacks Cuben tarp. To be honest I could NEVER line up the middle of the tarp with the line. And with the BMJ tarp w/doors it cause a problem with the doors closing. I find this method with less aggravation.

Biners vs Nacrabiners - I shall revisit. You make an excellent point on icing which I have yet to experience in winter camping. Thanks!

bungee cord to a spear - In the winter time with snow I find the spear part easier to place in the ground. For video purposes I did it the other way but I'm not sure there will be a problem since the bungee cord is pulling in the opposite direction. Fair point and I will conduct some tests either this week or the weekend to see if this thing does become a projectile. May even tape the results so we can be surprised together.

I actually have grabbed a Diet Mtn Dew by mistake... I could taste the difference immediately. I respectfully disagree on that one
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast