Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Nice video, Raul! I would have posted sooner but the drool keeps shorting out my keyboard...I'm envious! It seems like a great winter-configured tarp presented in an entertaining & informative video. Thanks!
    Glad you liked it! Yeah I cried a little bit when I got it... wait... yeah everyone saw that part

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Cuben was priginally developed as a light strong sailing material for high (as in Americas Cup!) sailing vessels that had no need to skimp on $$'s. I do not believe that UV or re folding should be iuch of a problem. Call the C folks they can Tell you. I have had no problems with my DIY Cuben tarp and pacs, sacs. etc gnome
    Cool thanks for the info!
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    Flamethrower UQ
    I ordered one of these right about the same time you did, but I got one w/o doors or tieouts, weighs in at under 5 ounces! Didn't think the doors added that much. I had a superfly, never liked the doors, so I sold the winter tarp and bought a winter hammock (clark jungle). I agree other than the stuff sack (which is kinda small to stuff back in) its awesome, and I did a lot of homework and this one is the best by far. I'll try it out this weekend, and will post some pics.

BTW, any reason you went with the continuous ridge line other than ease of use?

I hear ya on the busy season, I've been out of public for over a year but that crap is no fun at all.
    Last edited by itsjustbusiness999; 10-24-2011 at 20:00.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    What am awesome video! Thorwren and I were seriously laughing when Bumble turned on the lights and "caught" you. TOO FUNNY.

I think I will go ahead and make it official that we will call this tarp the Winter Palace....if that is ok with Mr. Monkey? Thank you so much for that video review RP. I am sorry about that wait time too.....

Quote Originally Posted by ^shane^ View Post
    Great video... maybe too much time on your hands, but a great video. Thanks for sharing.

I've been considering contacting Adam about a cuben tarp, but didn't like the 8.5' width. Nice to know that a wider tarp has been done. Did you give any thought to a longer ridgeline as well? I'd like to have a 12' ridgeline since the Switchback needs a little more coverage than the average hammock.

It may be considered a "winter" tarp, but at this weight it would be my only tarp so it would be a four season tarp for me.
    I still do not even have a pattern made up for the Winter Palace so lengthening the ridge line out to 12' is not a problem at all. It might at a little to the price just because of the extra materials. Yep, those switchbacks are long...

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    Fear the dark powers of the GINGER!
    Yes....fear us...fear us all!! (insert evil laugh)...

Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Great video and tarp! I am just glad you did not get in the hammock from the other end with that kilt and all
    LOL...Thorwren and I said that exact same thing at the same time during the video..too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    "OMG it's full of stars..." That is alot cubic feet.
    Now for the 64K question what was the the price
    tag for all that real estate?
    Ahhh, well there IS the question, isn't it? I have been selling them for $369 but more than likely when it goes up on the site...the price will go up a little. Those two extra seams really add to the built time. Also, the cost has to reflect the 25% increase in materials...and right now it doesn't. So, for now it will stay at $369 but, again, that will be for a limited time. Also, the only way to get one right now is to contact me for a quote.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i finally found the drawing

i really like that extra foot on each corner. still can set up in a tight A and not enough to hit ground when closed. NICE.
    Thanks for finding and posting that KK. Sorry I did not get on here sooner so I could field your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I'm not sure I forget if the ridgeline is either taped or glued or both. Stormcrow did mine a little differently than Ironman's which added a little weight. I'd be interested when he chimes in as well.
    All of the long, middle seams, on your tarp are in fact taped. That is the only thing I did differently that the one that Iron Man has so it must be where the weight went up. One is not stronger than the other, the tape is just less tricky to work with (less time sensitive).

Quote Originally Posted by Phillipsart View Post
    I like the see-thru aspect of the cuben tarps from what I can see on the video. Probably the only opportunity I will ever get to see one in person, is if I purchase one myself.

The only, maybe slight drawback to the see-thru aspect on the material, is other hikers watching you as you change.
    It is not really that bad. The tarp is more translucent than transparent. You lose a little privacy but you are not COMPLETELY exposed...

Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    That intro was AWESOME! It had me laughing pretty hard dude.

I can't believe how much room is inside it too. I like how stormcrow just added on to his others and I think that would be a really easy way to help crank some out faster when more people want one.

Great job on the video and keep throwing Bumble in your vids. The kid makes an awesome water monkey side kick.

Fronkey
    It is not much of an add-on really. It has the same ridgeline but since there are no catcuts on the edges and the sides are over a foot longer on each edge, the geometry gets all changed. I am working on the pattern now so things SHOULD go faster...

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Great video WM very enjoyable to watch.
    I believe you said, in the video, the center line has a slight cat cut to help with a tighter pitch.
    This cut / bow in the center would not be a plus for those wanting to run the CRL under the tarp to help support the
    tarp in heavy snow.
    You might have a point there. The ridge line tie outs are pretty strong so maybe a CRL will not be needed. I do not personally like to use one with a cuben tarp because of the the potential for abrasion. Swaying trees and hammocks and blowing winds might start to rub things too much under there. Cuben is awesome stuff but the fabric weight we use to stay so light is a little lacking in the abrasion resistance department. There is always a little tradeoff. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Cuben was priginally developed as a light strong sailing material for high (as in Americas Cup!) sailing vessels that had no need to skimp on $$'s. I do not believe that UV or re folding should be iuch of a problem. Call the C folks they can Tell you. I have had no problems with my DIY Cuben tarp and pacs, sacs. etc gnome
    Thanks for chiming in Gnome!

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    cool tarp! Winter? Where's the stove go?

;-)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Very Nice, Raul. Thanks!
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Layer
    Big Mamajamba Sil
    20D Black Mamba, 40D Burrow, 20D Phoenix
    DIY Whoopies and straps

raul, in the vid. you said the ridgeline was cat cut..are all other edges straight? yeah i did watch twice but rather than second guess myself i thought i better ask

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    What am awesome video! Thorwren and I were seriously laughing when Bumble turned on the lights and "caught" you. TOO FUNNY.

I think I will go ahead and make it official that we will call this tarp the Winter Palace....if that is ok with Mr. Monkey? Thank you so much for that video review RP. I am sorry about that wait time too.....

~Stormcrow
    Glad you liked it. That would be cool if you called it the Winter Palace. I was just looking for a name to call it since it's not something you originally offered.

As far as the wait time. LOL trust me I was up to my neck in financials for 7 weeks with no days off. It's cool. I just wanted to mess with you

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    cool tarp! Winter? Where's the stove go?

;-)
    pfffft Water Monkeys dont need stoves

Quote Originally Posted by McSpartan View Post
    Very Nice, Raul. Thanks!
    Thanks glad you liked it

Quote Originally Posted by the_gr8t_waldo View Post
    raul, in the vid. you said the ridgeline was cat cut..are all other edges straight? yeah i did watch twice but rather than second guess myself i thought i better ask
    Cat in the ridgeline that's it. All other edges should be straight.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    JBizzle Bird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Straps
    I like it, I love it, I want some more of it!
    JBizzle
    http://baxpax.org

Missouri Backpacking and Hiking

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567