Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Academy tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing

Talking My beginning gear. What do you guys think?

It wasn't until today I found out that apparently it is bad for trees to use ropes. I have webbing to use I just brought some hammock hanging rope because it was light and convenient. So what do you fellas think of my ghetto jury rigged gear. I slept great in it by the way for 2 nights. Do y'all see anything I can improve on and suggest priorities in which to upgrade. Thanks,
    [URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/img0051dq.jpg/][/URL

Travis

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    20" Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The only thing I see off the bat is that your tarp isn't long enough to cover your hammock. Fine for a clear, nice night but if a rain kicks up, you are going to be in trouble. Try pitching it as a diamond, maybe?

Looks great otherwise!

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Academy tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    ya, boy did it rain too! I didn't get wet though. Luckily. And yes next time i'll be pitching it as a diamond and plus i'll only be needing 2 stakes that way too.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    The Wallyworld tarp would be the first thing that goes, if I was to upgrade. I have that specific tarp, and it weighs more than twice what my Hennessy Hex does (and that's fairly heavy for a backpacking tarp). It also is really easy to pull those grommets out in high winds (personal experience there; had a bad night once in my pup tent because of it). It will definitely keep you dry, though, if you pitch it right.

Are you using the sleeping bag as an underquilt or as a pea pod? If the former, I'd try to upgrade its suspension some; it looks like the thing is hanging much too low. If it's the latter, then ignore that.

Otherwise, aside from a bug net for next spring, it looks like you should be good.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Academy tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    The Wallyworld tarp would be the first thing that goes, if I was to upgrade. I have that specific tarp, and it weighs more than twice what my Hennessy Hex does (and that's fairly heavy for a backpacking tarp). It also is really easy to pull those grommets out in high winds (personal experience there; had a bad night once in my pup tent because of it). It will definitely keep you dry, though, if you pitch it right.

Are you using the sleeping bag as an underquilt or as a pea pod? If the former, I'd try to upgrade its suspension some; it looks like the thing is hanging much too low. If it's the latter, then ignore that.

Otherwise, aside from a bug net for next spring, it looks like you should be good.
    I was using the sleeping bag as an under quilt. Got down to the 40s last night so it definitely did the trick for me.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogbill View Post
    I was using the sleeping bag as an under quilt. Got down to the 40s last night so it definitely did the trick for me.
    Huh. It didn't hang too low and cause cold spots? Could you do a close-up of it suspended as you had it hung last night?

Inquiring minds like to know. Thanks in advance!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Is that a sleeping pad of some sort under you? I am assuming that the pad gave you most of the warmth and the sleeping bag rigged 'underquilt' provided little to no effect due to the air gaps.

It would probably work better if you gathered the entire end of the sleeping bag and not just 2 corners, thereby eliminating the giant gaps on the ends.

An easy way to get tree straps is to buy 2 ratcheting tow straps and cut off the buckle part so you have a sewn loop still there then tie off to that.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Academy tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Well the first night I slept with that inflatable pad underneath me with no under quilt sleeping bag and froze my rear end off. Plus it was frustrating as it moved around underneath me. The second night (last night), I didn't use the pad at all and used that sleeping bag as an under quilt. It was warm and I didn't get cold at all. Maybe it was psychological, who knows. There were gaps in the ends but it did keep the cold wind off my butt. To me it felt much warmer. I'm from Texas so it doesn't take much. There's no snow or ice or anything cool like that.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I'd say if it kept you warm and dry then it looks good, HYOH (Hang Your Own Hang) after all. But as the temps begin to drop you may want to look into other forms of insulation. Whether it is a different way to tie up the sleeping bag as an UQ, a PLUQ, or even a true under quilt you will likely need to make some sort of change as the winter comes.

And welcome to the hanging family.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    if you decide to upgrade the tarp/UQ with some quality gear on the cheap, you could get some from marty at Wilderness logics. i have his Big Daddy tarp and 3/4 Synthetic UQ and for the both is right at $200 shipped free. you could probably go with the tadpole tarp and save $10 and come in under 200.

gear from any of the vendors here would suit you well. i just recommend WL because I have his stuff and know hes killer on service.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

• + New Posts