Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

Adding Down to JRB Quilt

I have some extra down and am contemplating opening up my no sniv and putting it in. How difficult of a project would this be? I am not that great at sewing, however, I have made a quilt, a hammock, and a tarp.

It almost seems it would be easier and safer to just make a new quilt. Any thoughts?
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have been thinking about adding some extra down to my JRB quilts. I don't really think it would be that hard, but it would be time consuming. You would just have to open the the roll hem on one of the long sides. Since the hem is already sewn and creased it would be pretty easy to refold and re-sew the hem.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm pretty sure that would void your warranty...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I don't THINK adding more down would really increase the warmth of the quilts significantly. The warmth comes from the volume of trapped air (generally measured by the thickness of the quilt). The Jacks tend to slightly overstuff their quilts to begin with -- making sure that they "inflate" to their maximum possible volume. Adding more down would mostly just increase the weight of their quilts.

I'm sure one of the Jacks will jump in with a more informed opinion.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    I don't THINK adding more down would really increase the warmth of the quilts significantly. The warmth comes from the volume of trapped air (generally measured by the thickness of the quilt). The Jacks tend to slightly overstuff their quilts to begin with -- making sure that they "inflate" to their maximum possible volume. Adding more down would mostly just increase the weight of their quilts.

I'm sure one of the Jacks will jump in with a more informed opinion.
    First, there are actually two full length seams (one is hidden)... and, there are two 18 to 24 inch seams for the omnitape on the foot box depending on which length quilt you have.

Opening seams is a PITA.... And you risk tearing or puncturing the light 1.1 rip stop with the unstitcher.... But Hey.... You might enjoy it...

Finally adding down will puff the baffle chamber which turns the realitively flat surfaces (top and bottom sides) into sine waves... Thus the quilt will be effectively shortened in the process.... Sooooooooooo, if you are at or near the recommended size for your height...This can turn your idea and action into a mistake....

With a resale market for JRB quilts that normally brings 75-85 percent of original price in 24 hours or less .... for those who feel they need more quilt they are better off selling a quilt and purchasing the next loftier model IOHO.

BTW.... The New JRB 5th Anniversary Special Nest will debute at Trail Days.... Full 3 inch baffles, JRB standard over stuffed of 15 percent to achieve 3.5-4 inches of loft....More details? Come to Trail Days...

FWIW, HC4U, your custom, sub 16 oz each, Nest and No Sniveller set is more valuable/marketable as is ( No ... JRB does not do custom sets....HC4U owns my personal one off ultra light set, made several years ago as a test of what is now unavailable .85 oz rip stop)

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images

No Sniv on Roids

Well, I just finished stuffing more down into my no sniv. It truly looks like it is on roids.

Fortunately it is still plenty long enough for me. The quilt now has twice the loft it had, and still fits in the same bag. However, it now weighs 2 lbs.

I am going to test it out in the back yard tonight. I am certain it will be much warmer. I tried it for a few minutes and it seems very warm.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hacktorious View Post
    Well, I just finished stuffing more down into my no sniv....it now weighs 2 lbs...much warmer...
    A 2lb No Sniveler? We need pics.

You must be the coldest natured person on this forum.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    I added 2oz of Speer's down to a Hudson River. It now has over 3" loft. If you add more than this you may be wasting down as its loft could be hindered. Opening the seams and adding the down with a shop vac is not very hard to do. My quilt gained about 10° rating for only 2oz. Job took about 5 hours. Worth it to me!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Hmmm, I think I added about 10 oz.

I previously made one of these:
    http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/make-down-quilt/

It didn't turn out right, so I stuffed the down in my Sniv.

It has about a 3-4 inch loft now. Maybe I did over do it a bit. I can always remove some if I have to. However, it seems like there is plenty of room left over in the baffles. It lofts up really nicely.

I'd hate to be wasting weight on extra down if it isn't necessary.

Yes, I do sleep very cold. The sniv and nest are not warm enough for me when it is 60* out. I need a lot more loft than the ave person. I have always been that way. Just imagine how I felt growing up in the snow belt of Lake Erie.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    dude you need to move to arizona. plenty of heat out here, and snow if you want it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast