Blackbird
    Tarp
    Noah 9/Superfly
    Insulation
    Human
    Suspension
    D. Buckles/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by muddog15 View Post
    Warmer tarp blanket is a lot cheaper than a real UQ and a lot lighter and it is also multi use. There wind proof and water proof, also a lot less bulk and weight to have to carry. warmer.com I think is the web site. They are around $15.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by DraicKin View Post
    Please provide more info on this.
    Bump...Bump...Bump

One thing to consider about a waterproof under insulation is condensation. Only insulating system I know of that uses a vapor barrier (waterproof) , which is actually a space blanket, get reported to have condesation issues more than any other insulation I've seen used. Something to consider, definitely try out your insulation ideas with a safety net in case you run into an issue like this.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double , Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    WB/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY IX Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Images
    Please provide more info on this. Warmer tarp Thanks

Slo is right about condensation with the tarp space blanket I suggested in my other post. But I havent had a problem with condensation only using the tarp/blanket as an underquilt, I have had problem with conditionsation using the things as a blanket. I live in a humid environment so I'm going to have condensation problems, if you live in a dryer climate you shouldn't have as much of a problem, with the thing hung under your hammock. I have used this blanket down to 40 degree nights. They almost work to good. I'm also as soon as I can get around again, (back surgery), try a military poncho liner for an UQ. I hope for my climate it will work better, back to the space blanket. I would only recommend one of these space tarp/blanket if your humidity is low, I got to warm the few times I used it, but I like being comfortably cold even when I sleep. I have no experience hamock camping in snow country so I don't know if it would work or if humidity would be a problem or not. The blanket/tarp is water proof and wind proof, the manufacturer says it will reflect up to 80%

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muddog15 View Post
    Slo is right about condensation with the tarp space blanket I suggested in my other post. But I havent had a problem with condensation only using the tarp/blanket as an underquilt, I have had problem with conditionsation using the things as a blanket. I live in a humid environment so I'm going to have condensation problems, if you live in a dryer climate you shouldn't have as much of a problem, with the thing hung under your hammock. I have used this blanket down to 40 degree nights. They almost work to good. I'm also as soon as I can get around again, (back surgery), try a military poncho liner for an UQ. I hope for my climate it will work better, back to the space blanket. I would only recommend one of these space tarp/blanket if your humidity is low, I got to warm the few times I used it, but I like being comfortably cold even when I sleep. I have no experience hamock camping in snow country so I don't know if it would work or if humidity would be a problem or not. The blanket/tarp is water proof and wind proof, the manufacturer says it will reflect up to 80%
    In my experience at least- YMMV so experiment with safe bailout plan - keeping the space blanket/vapor barrier "warm" is the key. If it is close to your back(as in right under the hammock) AND between you and the insulation, condensation is going to be much lower and likely for me even insignificant.

If any non-breathable layer- a sil-nylon undercover, or UQ protector, or VB or space blanket- is exposed to the cold air(without another "warm" VB between you and insulation), get ready for condensation when your warm, vapor filled insensible perspiration contacts these cold layers. (think of your car's cold windshield if you don't blast it with warm air from the defroster) I think this is worse for layers which are above you, considering warm(vapor filled) air rises. Even if kept warm, then you run into the normal vapor barrier issues. The moisture has no where to escape to, and soon things become very humid and damp, even if that VB layer is kept warm. But a space blanket hung under my hammock- say in a HHSS or inside a PeaPod- is not in tight contact with my back, So if it does not condense on this layer- because this layer is close to body temp- this humid air may be able to "rise" and "escape', especially when I move around.

But that is just my theory, or WAG. For some reason I have only had the most minor of condensation(might have been sweat) occur on my space blankets. Mostly, I get none far as I can tell. But this is always a warm layer close under me. I seem to be able to use this approach to significantly boost warmth with any UQ. (For example, I was able to have a warm back at 10F in a 20F rated PeaPod) Plus it keeps my insulation drier on week long trips. Some other folks are just as lucky with this approach, some others are not. So again, YMMV. Safe experimentation highly recommended.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-16-2011 at 10:05.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    i made my own out of an old rectangular sleeping bag i found in the attic. 1.50 for a bit of thread, and i had my self a nice little uq that ive take down to around 20*
    The Urban Outdoorsman- inspiring people to get out and enjoy the great outdoors

View my blog here- http://cityoutdoorsman.wordpress.com

Instagram: Nature_Pro_Pics
    Twitter: @cityoutdoorsman

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I'm a DIYer, so I made mine out of some of Hancock's ripstop and down harvest from a pillow. Total cost me around $30 for a nice down UQ that should get me down to mid 30s. Yet to have a chance to test it out at those temps thus far though. Already planning my next made of M50 and 900+ down from Thru-Hiker. I'm figuring a 20* 3/4 quilt weighing around 10oz with full suspension and costing around $100.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl,
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ, Burrows
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles
    HammockGear Incubator for me but I have a custom wider UQ coming from underground quilts which I am anxious to try out. Slept pretty good with the 20* incubator in 10* weather last week.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    I use hammockgear's 0 degree custom wide and long quilts. I have another set from another mfgr, but the quality in the hammockgear is second to none, plus i love the head closer snap idea.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've used a sleeping bag (moves around) WallyWorld blue CCF (moves around, sweaty back & cold shoulders), Jarbridge (ok), Winter Yeti (warmer, but shorter than the Jarbridge), FlameThrower (As long as the Jarbridge - Great for summer) and Incubator 0*s.

My favorite is the Incubator, as no cold toes. HG's workmanship has been second to none so far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123