Clark Tropical 2 & XL rainfly
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark

First video: coastal paddling & hanging

Even though the batteries died in my camera quicker than I expected I managed to get enough photos and video for this trip report. I went down the coast about 2 hours from home, a great spot that I'd never been to before and which turned out to be a nice little adventure at a great secluded spot which I had all to myself.

I had friday off the week before last and managed to negotiate with my better half, with suprising ease, that I have the whole long weekend to go hangin' and paddlin' by myself... I haven't had any time, in between work and commitments at home, for myself for quite a while, so I think that helped

The weather forecast turned out to be accurate, thunderstorms & wind & a lot of thunder & lightning so I was lucky that I left my inadequate stock Clark tarp at home and took my wilderness equipment 3x3m tarp instead. It performed flawlessly and not only kept me dry during the long stormy nights but gave me enough space to not feel cramped during the day when I was stuck at camp while it was hammering down with rain. I did end up with some beautiful sunny days though and the good ol' Aussie sun was belting down when it came out, I guess no-one told it summer hasn't started yet!

It was a great place to explore by foot and by kayak with tracks through the coastal scrub and some nice detours along the estuary to paddle up. Lots of wildlife, birds, kangaroos, an echidna and a few snakes which kept me wary as I was walking around. Not to mention the ticks, I had so many... none made me sick luckily, just a bit itchy for a few days where they bit me, I guess I pulled them out before they could do too much harm, I was almost constantly checking after the first couple...

I took my Shamu IX UQ & -4 sleeping bag which turned out to be way too warm (ludicrously warm, the sleeping bag went back in its sack I need to get myself a much lighter weight top quilt or maybe I might try and make my own) on the first night and had to be loosened up a bit to let some air flow through but it worked nicely on the saturday night when there was a cool change. At least I could tighten and loosen it up easily whilst laying in the hammock, made life a lot simpler.

I have a trip planned in about a month out to the Granite Belt for 4 days but I can see myself going back down to this spot now that I know how good & how close it is. Its great to discover such a gem and one that isn't often visited... But next time I'll take my fishing gear & extra batteries for my camera.

Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOv1OAwAlNc

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Looks like just what the doctor ordered! Solitude and the beauty and awe of nature. Good for you for getting out... and thanks for letting us come along.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Gorgeous spot you found. It's always a treat to find such wonderful places so close to home.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Nice video techniques
    WHERE WERE THE SNAKES!!! I got my hopes up!
    BCU down there? They would frown on the camp shoes on deck
    What yak is that? I've got a Mirage 580 (in deference to Andrew rest his soul), didn't recognize yours ???
    Nice picknick table, fold up model?
    What hammock----this is a hammock site---looks like a Clark, hmmm...design looks a lot like a Switchback.
    Love the parting shot.
    OK zip off the whicket kinda joshing with ya. Thanks for bringing a bit of your world our way.

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Nice one!
    It's beautiful down there..

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Paddling is such a nice way to get away from it all.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Clark Tropical 2 & XL rainfly
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark
    Looks like just what the doctor ordered! Solitude and the beauty and awe of nature. Good for you for getting out... and thanks for letting us come along.
    Its a pleasure Jay, yeah, it was just what I needed, a few days of doing not much and what a place to do it...

Gorgeous spot you found. It's always a treat to find such wonderful places so close to home.
    Oh yeah, but I must admit that I do live in a pretty amazing part of the world Catavarie. Within about an hour of where I live there is world heritage rainforest, mountains, white sands & sparkling blue waters of the pacific Ocean, etc etc

Nice video techniques
    (thanks MedecineMan must be beginners luck, 'twas my first attempt )

WHERE WERE THE SNAKES!!! I got my hopes up!
    Hey, I was too busy saying %&^& and $*&%! and jumping out of the way to be taking pictures of them! But I'll try harder next time, maybe send you a few in the mail if you want because we have plenty

BCU down there? They would frown on the camp shoes on deck
    I don't know what the BCU is but I always have my crocs on the deck (unless I'm in the surf) because I hate jumping out into who knows what with barefeet, maybe I'm just a chicken and should put up with oysters and the like!

What yak is that? I've got a Mirage 580 (in deference to Andrew rest his soul), didn't recognize yours ???
    The Mirage is a nice yak. Mine's a Barracuda beachcomber ultralight. Its ultralight and its a lot of fun, I plan on doing more extended trips in it as I get the time. Hopefully some island hopping next year if all goes to plan...

Nice picknick table, fold up model?
    No, inflatable, it comes in a tiny stuffsack, very handy. Should see the gazebo that comes with it...

What hammock----this is a hammock site---looks like a Clark, hmmm...design looks a lot like a Switchback.
    Yep, clark tropical, sweet hammock but the tarp that it came with is too small as I discovered the last time I had a rainy night. Everything got wet so now I'm using the WE 3x3 tarp which is nice but it is heavy, 1.05kg...

Love the parting shot.
    I had a lot of amazing sky while I was there and NO mosquitos or sandflies which was nice while sitting around having a cup of tea and looking at all the amazing sky

OK zip off the whicket kinda joshing with ya. Thanks for bringing a bit of your world our way.
    Pleasure

Nice one!
    It's beautiful down there..

Yeah thanks Holger, it was nice, can't wait to check out Sandon and a few others too

Paddling is such a nice way to get away from it all.
    Very peaceful out on the water mbiraman, lots of wildlife, hardly any people, what more could you ask for

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Great video. Thanks for sharing your experience. Gotta ask, is that the Go Pro camera?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Well made sir. Looks like quite the adventure. Thanks for sharing.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Great video. I was surprised to read in the credits that this is your first video. I was thinking while watching it that you did a good job of thinking what shots you needed while doing mundane task like setting up camp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast