Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

comfortable hammock and bug sock

i wanna get this kinda rig for complete bug protection for se asia. i like the sock on myDIYgear.com. but im not sure what hammock to buy. comfort being my most important feature. dont mind a few extra oz. for a good sleep. was gonna go with the bb traveler. im 6' 175 . what is your fav hammock for comfort?

Have you checked out the Switchback hammock?
    It has a built in bug net that unzips on both sides of the hammock so you can get into the hammock from either side. The bug net rolls up out of the way when you don't need to use it.
    I have tried, and have several different brands of hammocks and the SB is the most comfy of them all and it is very forgiving to setup....

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You can make them yourself if you have access to a sewing machine. Knotty made a great "how to" video for a gathered end http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSbnQs-2y8c

And this big dork made a "how to" for a bug net too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfEM6yEO268

Both are really easy to make.

Fronkey

If you are going the DIY bug sock rout, then the hammock I would pick is a Grand Trunk Single or a Double. I am a big fan of the GT's. They are easy to set up and even the single has a lot of room to spread out in.. The grand trunks are always set up in my backyard and I have a 2 1/2 yo son that loves to jump in them and they have stood up to a lot of abuse...

i have seen the sb and alot of ppl on here say how comfy it is. how there able to be consistently comfortable without an srl is a mystery to me. at 190 $ though its a bit rich for my blood. i would be inclined to a d.i.y. if i had the time and im not sure Ive tried enough hammocks to know how to build the one i want.

ive read on here the eno dn is a good sleeper and also the traveler. i couldn't find a thread on the most comfortable hammock so i thought id start one.

Look at the Wilderness Logics Night Owl. They also have an available bug net for it. Very comfy!

Quote Originally Posted by paisan64 View Post
    i have seen the sb and alot of ppl on here say how comfy it is. how there able to be consistently comfortable without an srl is a mystery to me. at 190 $ though its a bit rich for my blood. i would be inclined to a d.i.y. if i had the time and im not sure Ive tried enough hammocks to know how to build the one i want.

ive read on here the eno dn is a good sleeper and also the traveler. i couldn't find a thread on the most comfortable hammock so i thought id start one.
    Another option would be a grand trunk UL. You can get one on amazon for $12 and if you spend $25 on products that are fulfilled by amazon you get free shipping you can get a hammock and straps for around $30 shipped.
    I have a couple of the GT ultra lights and they are pretty comfy.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    GT Skeeter Beeter Ultralight goes for around $60 new, and the SB Pro for 70 or so I believe. Not the $190 you mentioned. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Sounds like you're going to be needing a bug screen 100% of the time. You might was well get a hammock with an integrated bug net, like a Hennessy Zip or Warbonnet Blackbird.

The hammocks with a separate net are handy if you do some winter trips when there are no bugs, but more of a pain to rig and use. With the zippered/integrated screens, you just hop in and zip up the side. They have ridge lines already--- something you will want on any hammock with a bug screen.

How about bottom insulation and tarp? If it is under 65F-70F you will want at least a little bottom insulation.

The Warbonnet Traveler is an excellent hammock and quite a bargain IMHO. The double layer will help if you want to use a pad for insulation. The strap suspension is super easy to use.

The Papa Smurf/DIY bug net is great for the weight, but a little harder to use. If you want the lightest but most effective bug net, that is the one. Most of the big zippered nets run close to a pound, so you might as well have the attached/zippered net-style hammock.

If you are going to Thailand first, you might be able to buy a nice hammock there for cheap.

Have a great trip!

jbphilly i meant sb= switch back.

i bought the sb pro for my first hammock and liked it (its big) but didnt realize i could get bit from below. not a big deal most of the time but in the tropics skeeters are inoculaters of some bad nasties. so i had this idea of putting a second layer on the bottom of the sb, then i thought maybe the sb ultra light is better fit (the sb pro has sewn on sides that tend to come up when i lay and block my view unless i hang it very loose) so for 45$ i ordered it. and found it much smaller than the sb .too small.
    so i ditched the idea at least for now and thought id buy a simple hammock with a bug sock. there are so many choices though i wanted to narrow it down to the most comfortable .
    thnx for the replies

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast