Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

I need an under quilt…but allergic to down:(

Ok, here goes. I’m getting ready to start doing some cold weather backpacking and need to invest in an under quilt that will be light weight and fit nicely into my backpack with my WBBB 1.7 and my Superfly tarp. The only catch is this…..I’m allergic to down features. I’m having trouble coming up with some good options here, so I’m throwing this out to the masses for suggestions.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    This is a good discussion on BPL on the subject. You could try down and see how it goes, and if it causes a reaction, there are good, light synthetic options from several cottage guys here. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...thread_id=2866

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Zeppelin, MobilMum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I know you said UQ but a sleeping pad is always an option too. I haven't used a UQ yet but sleeping on a pad in my WBBB 1.1 DL is quite comfortable.

Otherwise: I haven't noticed (although I haven't been looking) any synthetic fill UQs but I'm sure you could find one or get one of the cottage guys (Warbonnet, Jacks'R'Better, etc) to make you a custom Synthetic Fill UQ if you sent them some PrimaLoft or something (maybe extracted from a Sleeping Bag or something).

Good luck! I'll be curious to see what you find out. I'm not allergic to down but I've always been scared of the fact that Down doesn't like Water!

Sean

Hammock
    1.5oz Ripstop Single Layer DIY
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix & Incub
    Suspension
    Strp,Whoop,Biner
    Pillows and comforters are often filled with goose down feathers or cotton. A high percentage of adults, teenagers, and children are allergic to down, cotton, or both. The feathers themselves do not cause the allergic reaction. Rather, many goose feathers trap dander, dust, and dirt, all of which can cause allergies to flare up.

Many bedding manufacturers offer hypoallergenic pillows and comforters for those with allergies. Hungarian goose down, for example, is considered to be the cleanest down in the world because it holds little dander or dust. Hungarian goose down is mixed with a plant called Syriaca to produce an airy, hypoallergenic product. Syriaca contains filtering properties that trap and eliminate dirt, dust, and pet dander.

All underquilts from vendors like HammockGear, Warbonnet, and all similar others use 800-900 fill hypoallergenic Hungarian goose down.

IN OTHER WORDS....YOU'RE GOOD TO GO BROTHA....GET A DOWN UNDERQUILT AND DON'T SELL YOURSELF SHORT. This is a common misconception and you won't suffer any allergy problems from a down underquilt or sleeping bag. Don't take my word for it though, there is unlimited information all over the net about it.
    Nick 'Towellie'
    www.baxpax.org

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Look at Tree to Tree or AHE. They use different materials but both have some decent quilts. I have an AHE Lost River partial UQ that has worked to about 30*. It doesn't pack as small as my down quilts but it does fit in my ULA CDT pack with my other gear for a 3 day trip.
    I hope this helps a little.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    A couple of things to consider that you might want to keep in mind.

- down used in UQ's and TQ's are separated from your body in a way that is completely different then the down that you are used to pillows and old comforters.
    The nylon stops most of the dander from passing through, as opposed to cotton which 'breathes' and allows it to pass easily.

-the down in the UQ is very far away from your body, you will not breath in the dander that comes off of it.

-my wife is allergic to down too, but this last winter she confiscated my JrB Old Rag Mountain as her favorite chair throw for use while watching TV.

-As others will have pointed out, there are other options like IX, and Climashield.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    For you my vote would be AHE kick *** quilts. They make synthetic under quilts.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    My vote is Arrowhead equipment as well. I have a top quilt made by a friend using apex climashield insulation. The stuff is pretty darn good. Very compressable and only weighs 15oz for a 40 degrees quilt. That's not much more than down would weigh or be rated.

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy PolyD DBL
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I, too, am allergic to down. But I still use a down underquilt. As long as i don't bury my face in it, which you generally don't, I feel fine. I would say go ahead and buy one and give it a try. If it doesn't work for you, you can always sell it here and make back a big chunk of what you spent for it.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    HH Hex / Noah 9
    Suspension
    Strap/buckle/rings
    Images
    Check out Wilderness Logics line.
    Here is one good to 25 degrees according to them:
    http://wildernesslogics.com/Sythetic...ull-Length.htm

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast