HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Anyone using HH underpad only?

I was wondering if anyone is using the underpad from HH without the undercover? Inside the hammock or outside?
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

Images
    Newton is your man, he should be here soon!

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave10 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone is using the underpad from HH without the undercover? Inside the hammock or outside?
    It is open cell foam, AKA a sponge, so I don't recommend it. Moving air will steal heat from it and it will absorb moisture. . Putting it inside the hammock would compress it, negating any insulation value and would tear it up over time-- it's not as tough as a CCF pad. You don't have to use Hennessy's undercover though. You can build your own or use something like 2QZQ's undercover.

If you want to go as light and cheap as possible, a wide CCF pad inside the hammock or between the layers of a double layer hammock is the way to go. It is not as comfortable, but it will work. I would look at pads 24"-26" or more in width.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    2Q doesn't think his undercover will work with the underpad. 2Qs undercover is way cheaper then Hennessy. I might still try it out
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    DIY CimaShield TQ
    2Q doesn't think his undercover will work with the underpad. 2Qs undercover is way cheaper then Hennessy. I might still try it out
    If you do give it a try, then I would love to hear how it works. I was pondering doing the same thing.

Hammock
    Hennessy DJ
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    super shelter
    Suspension
    straps
    I use HH bubble pad between layers on Jungle hammock with no undercover. That's using 15* down bag and fleece bag liner...overcover too at times. I've been ok down to 25* or so. I can imagine with undercover and a little something else below, i'd be down right toasty.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BarredOwl View Post
    I use HH bubble pad between layers on Jungle hammock with no undercover. That's using 15* down bag and fleece bag liner...overcover too at times. I've been ok down to 25* or so. I can imagine with undercover and a little something else below, i'd be down right toasty.
    Man, that is real good results! I think HH only rates those for about 40.
    That is excellent for weight, bulk and cost. Did you notice if it affects comfort in any way negatively, compared to without the pad?

Images
    Before I joined HF I used HH gear exclusively.
    I have used the OCF pad as an UQ for cool summer evenings.
    It does offer some insulation for your back. You hang it just like a down UQ with the shockcord loops that come with the pad.

I believe you could use a 2QZQ breathable UQP with this pad.
    It would help cut wind and hold the heat collected.
    It would also keep the OCF dry if rain was splashing up from the ground.

hth

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    OES Four Season
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ 72"
    Suspension
    WhoopieSlings

HH foam pad cover

I've used the HH foam pad with the rain fly that came with the HH ULBP for a under cover. I attached clips and rings and a tie line up into the hammock to pull it up after I was inside. I found the instructions on this form somewhere, way back when. Works great.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I don't understand why they think it won't work. The HH pad is only 5/8" thick and has it's own suspension. You could use a thin plastic painter's drop cloth and get away with it-- durability aside. All you are doing is to cut off the wind and create a dead air space. The HH undercover is silnylon, so it isn't any more breathable than any piece of plastic, space blanket, PU coated nylon tarp, etc, etc. The dimensions on the 2QZQ undercover are generous enough to work with just about any hammock, IMHO.

The undercover concept isn't rocket science! The fit doesn't need to be all that fitted or exact, but getting a good seal on the sides and ends will keep cold air from migrating in. Having light shock cords in channels on the sides makes for a better seal and aids the suspension. You can alter the spacing between the pad and the undercover mostly with the end suspension adjustment and a bit more with the side shock cords. I have used the same rectangular-cut gathered-end undercover with the Hennessy Expedition Zip, the Warbonnet Traveler and a Grand Trunk Ultralight. I would expect the Hennessy SuperShelter undercover to have a more customized fit and less fiddle factor on the first try.

There are a lot of concerns with breathability and condensation on an undercover. My experience is that it isn't a big deal with undercovers. I imagine that is because warm moist air goes UP. There is enough inefficiency in the side seal to allow a little air exchange as you move around. After many nights with an undercover in high humidity, the most condensation I saw was a light vapor on a space blanket used directly under my hammock, with a small drop or two at most. My clothing and sleeping bag were never wet. A CCF foam pad doesn't breath either and you don't hear much about condensation problems with them.

I chose a waterproof undercover because I wanted to use it as a poncho. For most hammock use, a normal DWR water repellent coating should be more than enough to take care of any side splash or wind-blown rain, especially with a full-sized tarp. In other words, I don't think you need to go to the expense or weight of a completely coated waterproof fabric.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast