Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: School a newb

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Shoot, thanks for all the answers yo! One question - is 1.1 ripstop not strong enough to hold people? Aren't the single layer 1.1 WBBB's made out of 1.1, or is the name misleading me?

Also, my current hammock (Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Ultralight) - not sure what it's made of. Some sources online say polyester taffeta, others say "parachute nylon." Either way, I like the material, but I also haven't really tried any other backpacking hammocks.

Regarding the suspension I'm definitely in agreement that tree straps+whoopies is the way to go for light weight and easy adjustability, but I'm thinking about if I want to give hammocks to a bunch of friends - full whoopie sling suspension (or even just tree strap plus carabiner suspension) would add up pretty quick. I wondered if there's a cheaper option, even if lightness and adjustability are lost.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    Shoot, thanks for all the answers yo! One question - is 1.1 ripstop not strong enough to hold people? Aren't the single layer 1.1 WBBB's made out of 1.1, or is the name misleading me?

Also, my current hammock (Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Ultralight) - not sure what it's made of. Some sources online say polyester taffeta, others say "parachute nylon." Either way, I like the material, but I also haven't really tried any other backpacking hammocks.

Regarding the suspension I'm definitely in agreement that tree straps+whoopies is the way to go for light weight and easy adjustability, but I'm thinking about if I want to give hammocks to a bunch of friends - full whoopie sling suspension (or even just tree strap plus carabiner suspension) would add up pretty quick. I wondered if there's a cheaper option, even if lightness and adjustability are lost.
    I think whoopies/tree straps are your cheapest option.

Yes - the "parachute" hammocks are made of taffeta.

Also - 1.1oz should be alright as long as you aren't like 300lb

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Is there a lighter hammock-worthy material than 1.1 ripstop? And, what are some good, simple ways to put asymmetric tie-outs on a hammock if I wanted to?
    Last edited by jbphilly; 10-24-2011 at 20:42.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Is there a lighter hammock-worthy material than 1.1 ripstop? And, what are some good, simple ways to put asymmetric tie-outs on a hammock if I wanted to?
    I think they make 0.9oz ripstop but I am unsure if people use that for hammocks. That may be more for lightweight clothing.

I think if you look around you'll find some hennessy and WBBB patterns around here that show how you can utilize tie outs in a design.

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    More information on some of your questions can be found on Ed Speer's site.
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by ljcsov View Post
    I think they make 0.9oz ripstop but I am unsure if people use that for hammocks. That may be more for lightweight clothing.

I think if you look around you'll find some hennessy and WBBB patterns around here that show how you can utilize tie outs in a design.
    Indeed I saw one already. I could probably improve some others.

I know nothing about fabrics right now but what do people think - would nylon lighter than 1.1 be sufficiently strong for a hammock? If not for everyone then what about for a light-ish person like me?

Also, right now I'm trying to figure out a way to coordinate a structural ridgeline with an attached bug net. Obviously, Hennessy, Warbonnet and other manufacturers have a way to do it and I've seen one DIY solution (which I find kind of inelegant) but I'm kind of having fun trying to figure it out myself.

Anyway, thanks for all the answers. Heading to sleep before too long here. In a bed, unfortunately.

Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1" foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2" diy straps
    ya, these things do get the brain juices flowing, don't they? i'm about to dive in to the diy deep end.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Indeed I saw one already. I could probably improve some others.

I know nothing about fabrics right now but what do people think - would nylon lighter than 1.1 be sufficiently strong for a hammock? If not for everyone then what about for a light-ish person like me?

Also, right now I'm trying to figure out a way to coordinate a structural ridgeline with an attached bug net. Obviously, Hennessy, Warbonnet and other manufacturers have a way to do it and I've seen one DIY solution (which I find kind of inelegant) but I'm kind of having fun trying to figure it out myself.

Anyway, thanks for all the answers. Heading to sleep before too long here. In a bed, unfortunately.
    Personally, I'd think under 1.1oz would be a little too lightweight. Your best bet for durability/weight ratio would be 1.5oz. That is just me though.

As for the bug net. You just need to put a zipper down one side and sew the no see um down the other. You will need to rig up something on either end near the knot that will allow you to sew in the bug net. Most people put a triangular piece of fabric there that allow for an easy bug net sewing point. The ridgeline needs to slide under the entire deal to keep the bug net up.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    For your suspension, I think using straps all the way to the hammock would be the way to go, using some welded steel rings to cinch it.

As easy as whoopies are, non-hammock people (friends & customers) are likely to have issues. Never over-estimate the common sense people have.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek Edge
    Insulation
    LeighLo FL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jred View Post
    Never over-estimate the common sense people have.
    Bingo! For every aspect of life!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast