My first hammock: need help

Hello all. I finally got around (now that the weather is warming up) to making my first hammock based off of headchange4u' DIY HH design. I have the body of the hammock completed and have sewn on the zippers. The only thing left really is to sew on the side asymmetrical tie-out loops, attach a ridgeline, and finish the covers (bugnet, etc.). I have run into a few problems though.

The first isn't too much of a biggie, I think the rope is to blame. I'll hang the hammock about 5 feet high and when I get into the hammock I'll sink to the ground. I then have to re-tighten the ropes several times, even raising the hang until about 6 feet off the ground before I can get in without touching the ground. My only guess is the rope must be too stretchy as there is little or no slipping of the knots going on. It really doesn't feel stretchy at all though, surely not enough to make the hammock hang so low. The rope is (I think) polyester with a 1000 lb test strength, and about 1/2 cm in diameter.

The real problem that I am faced with is how the hammock lays when I am in it. No matter how I lay, on an angle or straight, I am tacoed in. The sides of the hammock come up and over me and squeeze me as if I'm in a cocoon. My body feels like is rolled up like how one rolls their tongue. I'm not sure what is causing it or how to fix it. I think if I attached the tie-outs that would help some, but not much as I tried to push out on the edges and it didn't help much. I refolded and whipped the ends of the hammock several times but the problem persists. I think the root of the problem may actually be in the size of the fabric used for the hammock. I used a 10' by 60" wide bolt of polyester for the hammock body. I've read that most people make theirs about 60" wide though so I'm not sure.

Should I continue to experiment with different rolls and folds on the ends? Should I go ahead and see if adding the side tie-outs solves the problem? Would adding in the ridgeline help? The following are some pics to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. They were taken using a camera phone so the quality may not be the best.

Outside looking in...

Inside view looking down the length of the hammock...

Hammock hanging about 4 feet off the ground. When I lay inside I am only about 1 inch from the ground.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    The things that I see off hand are that you have quite a bit of distance between trees, so you should be hanging higher anyway. A structural ridge line may help, good choice by going with the Polyester, I would check again though to make sure that it is polyester. A lot of us here use 1" seatbelt Polyester webbing fromStrapworks , he is a member here, and the webbing will do very little damage to the trees.

As far as the taco effect, you are on the right course to try to redo your whipping. You might try not puling the end pieces at all, and just bunching it. Also, what kind of material are you using for your hammock body? If it is a very stretchy fabric that could cause it as well.

My hammock is 10.5'X60", and the only time that I had this happen was on my wife's first hammock, we re-whipped it, and it was fine. Experiment, experiment, experiment, it will get better, and you can get it to fit just right.

Enjoy,
    Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The roll whip in the DIY HH gives you really loose floppy sides on the hammock. The asym tie outs will open the hammock up and get the fabric out of your face. Also The hammock looks like it's huung to tightly. It need to have more sag. Read here for a definition and examples of sag.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Hi Zelph. I was surprised to see you here. My wife has informed me that she ordered a stove for me from you. She wouldn't say which one but with the quality of your work, I'm sure I won't be disappointed! Looks like you made yourself a nice hammock. Your having a few problems but nothing that can't be resolved pretty easily. I agree that you may have too much distance between your supports. This causes you to have to remove the sag from your hammock in order to try and keep it in the air. A ridgeline might help to insure that the amount of sag you find comfortable remains in place. Whipping is somewhat of a personal preference. I like my sides floppy so that I can use them to cover up with on cool mornings. Others would disagree. I don't know if you pulled the "ears" out after gathering the ends but you could try not doing that, especially since you have tie-outs to take out the slack. Also I no longer whip my hammock ends. I now use a nylon cable tie instead. After I cut the excess off I round the sharp edges CAREFULLY with the heat of a lighter. It is much faster than whipping. I have never had one fail but I keep a couple in my repair kit as they weigh very little. I believe this method was JustJeff's idea. It's not rocket science or even stove science. It's kind of like medicine, part science and part art. Keep working at it and ask away if we can help you with anything and remember to have fun with it all.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Hi Zelph,

I'm with the majority. You need more sag. Youngblood recommends 30 degrees for starters.

Your trees are quite far apart. Get a ladder if you can't get different trees.

I find the best comfort when my "inside shoulder" and opposite hip is on the centerline.

Consider a sheet bend knot to fasten the line to the hammock body. It's really fast to make changes

Good luck.I await version 2 through "N" if you get hammock fever as bad as your stove fever

Miles of Smiles

Tom

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Good looking hammock! Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Thanks for all the help and info guys!

It seems there is a case of mistaken identities going on here. I have used the handle "Zelph" for about 10 years now on various forums and sites (mostly gaming). And so it went that I registered on this site as Zelph, not realizing that there was another Zelph on a related forum. Shortly after posting for the first time here I had a few people asking questions about my stoves. It seems this other Zelph, registered on the WhiteBlaze.net forums, had made a name for himself around these parts and as an alcohol stove maker extraordinaire. I am not this Zelph and I do apologize for the mistake. If I had realized there was another Zelph on a related forum out there I would have chosen a different handle to avoid the confusion.

On the subject of hammocks and DIY gear, I'm afraid (or delighted ) that the bug has indeed bitten me something fierce. I already have more plans and gear lined up to make. Right now I'm looking for some silnylon to make a tarp; I've been hitting all the local Walmart's but with no luck. I have been able to get a hold of a bunch of 1.1 oz untreated ripstop nylon in woodland camo (though it was $2 a yard) that will be nice for something or other. I might even try to use the DIY silicone impregnation method on it to make a tarp...

Anyways, thanks again for the help and advice, I'll have to see what I can do with my hammock tomorrow.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    When you did the HH folds, did you pull material from the center or from the ends when you did your whipping? Or did you not pull any material? If you pull from the center, you get floppy sides with a flatter center and if you pull from the outside you get high, tight sides. I'd experiment with your whipping and material pull using zip ties (faster for experimentation), and see what that gives you.

Images
    Sorry about the identity assumption (***/u/me) on my part. I should have just asked, but if you want to send me a stove anyway I won't turn it down.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

• + New Posts