Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Zhammock with mesh layer

I mentioned this in another thread, but tell me if you think it would work to make a Risk Zhammock with mesh as the bottom layer... I was picturing maybe one layer of breatheable 1.9(?) for the top layer and mesh (maybe noseeum) underneath holding a pad.

Does anyone know or remember anyone who has made one like this? If so I'd love to read about it.

1. Do you think mesh would be strong enough to hold a pad?
    2. Would the mesh add enough support so that you could use 1.1? Or would you have to use 1.9?
    3. How much weight do you think might be saved by using mesh rather than 1.1 nylon? (In other words, would the weight savings be worth it?)

Just curious... thanks.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Last time I check at one of the online fabric suppliers, noseeum weighed the same as 1.1 ripstop. Just checked Quest outfitters. They specify noseeum as 1.1 oz per square yard.

So, there would no weight savings and no reason to use it.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Would mesh be as effective as 1.1? In other words COULD it be used in place of the 1.1 with no ill effects?

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm trying to figure out what kind of very lightweight hammock I can make for this summer's hot weather.

If mesh can support a hammock of 1.1 nylon just as well as another layer of 1.1, that would work great. It would be more breathable than a second layer of 1.1 and would provide bug protection for the bottom of the hammock too. Then all I'd need would be bug protection for the top and I'd be all set. And if it got a little cool, well, it would still be a Zhammock with the ability to hold a pad.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    I think that the single layer of 1.9 (breathable) and a bottom layer of mesh of some sort (Im guessing noseeum) would be a bit cooler for summer use, although Id be worried about the mesh snagging on somthing a ripping. That said, I dont see why It wouldn't work with a piece of 1.9. I couldn't say how well a single piece of 1.1 would hold your weight, but I know I doubt i'd give it a go. I do think that noseeum will support much weight.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Yeah, after I thought more about it, I really doubt that I'd put much weight on the 1.1 and expect it to hold me. Mesh isn't going to support a whole lot of weight either.

So you're right, most likely breathable 1.9 would be best.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I like the idea of a netting bottom. Netting is kinda stretchy and I wonder how that would work on the bottom of the hammock? I think it may help to keep the pad conformed to the bottom of the hammock.

Thru-hiker.com has NanoSeeUm that weighs .7 oz per sq yrd.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    So breathable 1.9 nylon and some nanoseeum... I'm halfway there!

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hey NCPatrick, how about using one of the lite string type hammocks sold at Walmart as a second layer to hold a mat or whatever? tnhillbilly
    'Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the
    way it is. The way you cope with it is what makes
    the difference.' Edna Ellison

Images
    double layer 1.1 would be lightest option, i have made 4 double layer hammocks so far, but haven't made a double 1.1 yet. the last one i made was supposedly 1.1 seconds from owf, but after i weighed it i realized it was 1.5 oz/yd ripstop. i had ordered 20 yds and they wanted to charge me a 25% restocking fee even though they had it listed as the wrong weight, so lookout when ordering from them, you might not be getting what you think you are getting, they obviously don't weigh their fabric before they decide what it weighs.

sorry for going a little off topic there. for a double layer, you don't want something really stretchy, the pad wants to buckle, you want something strong enough to resist this, netting might still be strong enough, but can't see how it could be better for forcing the pad to lay snug to the bottom of the hammock than 1.1. if you do use 1.1, you can use 1.1+1.1 rather than 1.9+1.1netting. single layer 1.1 will support your weight, my dad got in one once. i think it dropped 2 feet, and i thought it was going to explode, but it just stretched and stretched and then finally stopped (he weighs 200+) i don't like it because it does stretch so much and the reduced long term durability. everything i know tells me double 1.1 should be stronger and stretch slightly less than single layer 1.9. the double 1.5 seemed great. i've got some 1.1 firsts coming and my first task will be a double 1.1 to see how it works, i'll let you guys know. surely someone has done a double 1.1 by now.

netting only keeps the mossies from flying through, if your body is in contact with it, they would still be able to bite through it just like any other fabric. actually, it would probably be worse. i read somewhere that the tighter weave, the harder it is for them to penetrate with their suckers and netting has about a loose weave as anything.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast