Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Talking Hammock stand for car camping

Ok, in the thread about BP magazine not including Clark's in their reviews, a topic came out about a one tree hammock stand for places with not enough trees available. Link to thread if anyone cares:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4050

Here is some of the thread:

Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    I don't know about most who post here but I am into keeping my packweight light and this does not include any metallic additions...and yes, it can be an issue...I've camped where there we had 5 hammock campers and not all that many ideal hanging trees...if you car camp most established campsites (state park and national forest) are set up for RV's and tents...you have to really be lucky to find a site where you can hang a hammock...that's up here in the Great Northwoods...I can't speak for other parts of the country...

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    if you do a lot of car camping then a portable stand might be worth the investment. I was thinking of getting one just for when I visit relatives who don't have other adequate means of hanging a hammock on their property. I wonder if they would be hapy that they won't have to change the linen or insulted that I'd rather sleep outside.
    So here's my thought for a car camping or National/State Park solution:

Everyone has probably seen a truck bed extender, or a canoe carrier that attaches to your hitch. They are basically tubular steel welded into a "T" that attaches either into your hitch receiver or over your hitch. Why not modify something like that for car camping? Tubular Aluminum or steel, put together with hitch pins that you could break down and carry in your trunk or truck bed when not in use, and then pin together when you needed a place to hang?

It would take some experimenting with stability, but I would think it would be doable. If you had the ability to hang in your hammock anywhere, anytime by pulling over to the side of the road and putting a few pins together, wouldn't that be preferable to sleeping in your car, or in your in-laws crappy spare room / living room?

Does anyone out there weld?

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I already have a stand...a Madera stand made by Byer-of-Maine. I used it in Yosemite, car camping...it worked really well...I have the older version which does not fold up like the newer one...I cannot imagine carrying a 3 pound stand in my backpack...heck, that's almost as much as the hammock itself weighs...no way! I like to keep things light and simple...There is no member of any group I backpack with that would even consider carrying any stand into the wilderness...we each carry our own gear....if I'm camping where there are no trees, well, no big deal, my Clark works just as well as a tent on the ground, only not as comfortable....

I like the stand car-camping...it adds to the odds of finding a decent place to hang....I have more problems in established campgrounds than wilderness sites...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mataharihiker View Post
    I already have a stand...a Madera stand made by Byer-of-Maine. I used it in Yosemite, car camping...it worked really well...I have the older version which does not fold up like the newer one...I cannot imagine carrying a 3 pound stand in my backpack...heck, that's almost as much as the hammock itself weighs...no way! I like to keep things light and simple...There is no member of any group I backpack with that would even consider carrying any stand into the wilderness...we each carry our own gear....if I'm camping where there are no trees, well, no big deal, my Clark works just as well as a tent on the ground, only not as comfortable....

I like the stand car-camping...it adds to the odds of finding a decent place to hang....I have more problems in established campgrounds than wilderness sites...
    I am sure you couldn't imagine adding another three pounds to your pack, but what about 9.6 ounces? If you would have 5 people splitting the weight of the 3 pound item, that is what each person would have to carry. Not bad, IMO! This item is more likely to be used in a group setting, as that is when you are more often going to experience problems finding a site.

HYOH, but when a situation demands it, we are sometimes forced to carry more weight to solve problems nature is going to throw our way. If it is cold, I am going to bring a sleeping bag. Sure, it may add a pound to my pack, but surely it is better than trying to play "Survivor Man" when what I really need is a good warm night's sleep. Likewise, if I am in the desert I may have to add a gallon or more (8 pounds + ) to be sure that I am going to be able to drink until I come across a sure source of water. So, if you are going to an area where you suspect a lack of trees is going to be a problem, I think the portable stand is worth the weight. The alternative would be to sleep on the ground or not go at all. I would rather go!

Quote Originally Posted by s62w23098 View Post
    So here's my thought for a car camping or National/State Park solution:

Everyone has probably seen a truck bed extender, or a canoe carrier that attaches to your hitch. They are basically tubular steel welded into a "T" that attaches either into your hitch receiver or over your hitch. Why not modify something like that for car camping? Tubular Aluminum or steel, put together with hitch pins that you could break down and carry in your trunk or truck bed when not in use, and then pin together when you needed a place to hang?
    Cool idea! I think an extendable arm for a tarp that would slide into the middle when not in use (while driving) would be nice, too. With a few vehicles utilizing this setup, you could create a "fort" like I used to make in my Grandma's house with the sofas, chairs, and sheets.
    Last edited by Narwhalin; 04-26-2008 at 10:27.

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    I used to work in the construction industry...and we built ALL types of reciever hitches in order to meet a need. I promise you...building a colapsable hammock stand for a reciever hitch would be a simple slice of pie...or you could get the whole pie with the addition of the DELUXE Tarp extender!

On another forum...we often joked about the Tyler Toilet...a toilet seat mounted to a reciever hitch...a few years later...guess what I seen in the Cabela's catalog....just that...so...with that said...and now it being mentioned here...I am sure it's just around the corner before you see a "Hammocker's Single Tree".
    Alex Williams
    Acts 10:13 "Arise Peter, Kill and Eat."
    Job 14:15 "Call upon Me and I shall answer you."
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Trailer hitch hammock stand.

I saw a picture of one on one of the forums. Forget which one and where, but it has been done. I remember the guy that made it for his pickup liked it very much. Hung over his pickup bed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Trailer hitch hammock stand.

I saw a picture of one on one of the forums. Forget which one and where, but it has been done. I remember the guy that made it for his pickup liked it very much. Hung over his pickup bed.

Now that you mention it, I swear I saw that somewhere, too. I even remember someone joking about riding down the road with someone swinging in the hammock. That would be one way to test your tarp strength!

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    there ya go..LOL
    Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alex30808 View Post
    I used to work in the construction industry...and we built ALL types of reciever hitches in order to meet a need. I promise you...building a colapsable hammock stand for a reciever hitch would be a simple slice of pie...or you could get the whole pie with the addition of the DELUXE Tarp extender!
    Since you have experience here, could you go through the process to make a hammock reciever hitch? I'll bet my Mom's friend could make it for me easily!

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod
    It is not that difficult...you'll need a pc of tube steel that will slid inside a receier...been a while...not sure exactly what size that is...you can measure a hitch at walmart...If you're wanting one that will allow you to back up to a tree and use the truck's hitch as the second suspension point...I would come out of the hitch about 6 inches and weld another pc of tubing to a 90* angle you could 45 the tube or just flat weld it either way...for strength I would add a gusset here (a triangle shape pc of steel for reinforment)...I would then come up about 4' and cap the tube off. I would then drill or weld an eye bolt in place at the 3' mark and another about two inches from the top. You could then use these two eye bolts for your suspension point and one for your tarp. I'll see if I can draw this out for you in order to better understand...KEEP IN MIND...this is just a rough estimate...the actual stand may not need to be so tall...gota figure that the hitch will already be atleast 16-20 inches off the ground...
    Last edited by alex30808; 04-26-2008 at 18:07.
    Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

Hammock
    Hammaka HALO SE
    Tarp
    JRB 11X10
    Insulation
    My Poncho Pod

also just reread my post...the six inches comming from the hitch is FROM the hitch....you'll need another 8 or so inches to slid inside.
    Alex Williams
    Williams Custom Calls

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast