Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I love our socks I sewed up 3, nothing fancy, before we headed to VA for the Grayson Highlands Hang and so glad that we did. The micro climate that you create is wonderful. Mine were made keeping the ridge line in place. They just slide over it, and then when your done looking at the sights, you pull it over your head (sliding it along the hammock ridgeline) and then cinch shut the draw cord pulling it closed tightly. My son still has an issue with getting this last step done right....but my 66 year old mother has it down to a tee.

For us, for now, I got what material was on sale, as we needed them quickly before the trip and funds were limited. Mine is the heaviest, light purple costume satin, breathable on one side. My son's is the lightest and actually the warmest, it was some kind of blue polyester and I wished they'd had enough for me to use for everyone's socks. My mom's was another light material from a friend. So in all actuality I only paid for two, and spent $24 on the two, with a little time, and super easy project. Yea, mine is not for the gram wienies, but it's pretty

They do make a huge difference, I'd say 5 to 10 degrees. Probably more like 10. The weather really hits you in the morning when you pull the sock down. Quite amazing how they work.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    We've had fantastic results with lightweight canvas socks in deep cold conditions (below 15*F). They are wind proof and vapor permeable, such that water vapor passes through without condensing. The canvas sock works just like an Anorak.

Last February, on top of Roan High Knob at 0*F, with 20-40 mph gusts, I was toasty with no tarp, and just a Snugfit and a Speer Top Blanket inside my canvas hammock sock.
    What is the actual name of the material that it is made of and where do you buy it? Not that I need to be worried about making one for Florida any time soon but I would like to catalog it in the back of my brain for the day that I move back up to Washington state and do trips up in the north.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    What is the actual name of the material that it is made of and where do you buy it?
    It's called "cotton", Dave!

I bought a roll of 4 oz canvas from Boone Fabrics here in Greensboro.

What you normally find is more like 7 oz, such as the canvas sold by Hancock Fabric and other retailers, and the painter's drop cloths you find at home improvement stores. It has a coarser weave, and is heavier.

Thrift store cotton bed sheets work.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Rook, out of curiosity, why M90? I thought with the coating it came to 1.1oz, the same as 1.1 ripstop, which is typically fairly cheaper. Granted M90 is a great price now, I'm sure a sock takes a fair amount of fabric though.

I'm aware of M90 being a superior fabric, so I do understand to a degree why you'd prefer it for a sock.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    It's called "cotton", Dave!

I bought a roll of 4 oz canvas from Boone Fabrics here in Greensboro.

What you normally find is more like 7 oz, such as the canvas sold by Hancock Fabric and other retailers, and the painter's drop cloths you find at home improvement stores. It has a coarser weave, and is heavier.

Thrift store cotton bed sheets work.

- MacEntyre
    Hardee-har-har

Thanks for the info (after stating the obvious)

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I used my Molly Mac hammock sock with SEEP down to the -30's, thread here... http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27637 It's the nylon one with the single layer of IX, I purchased it before the canvas version was available. I'm a fan... you do get a layer of frost which WILL snow on you a little when you turn over or whatever, but it's a small price to pay IMO.

I've also used it in much warmer temps in lieu of an UQ, worked great and no condensation issues.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Looks like a great option for someone trying to extend their winter set-up for extreme cold.

I'm looking to extend my three season gear to a possible fourth season. Obviously not at it's coldest, but at the beginning of spring and end of fall.

At 26oz-28oz the MM is way too heavy duty for my needs. The PapaSmurf Sock will be about 6.25oz and be better suited for my thru hike.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    Looks like a great option for someone trying to extend their winter set-up for extreme cold.

I'm looking to extend my three season gear to a possible fourth season. Obviously not at it's coldest, but at the beginning of spring and end of fall.

At 26oz-28oz the MM is way too heavy duty for my needs. The PapaSmurf Sock will be about 6.25oz and be better suited for my thru hike.
    Wow! That's the weight of a 2QZQ UQ protector. I wonder what PS is using to get to that weight with double the material?

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Wow! That's the weight of a 2QZQ UQ protector. I wonder what PS is using to get to that weight with double the material?
    Momentum 0.9 oz Ultralite Ripstop

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Guessing weights is tough when you don't work off a set pattern.

Lightest I ever went was 6.52oz for a 99" x 48" that was used on a GT Ultralight.
    I could probably hit 6.25 for a Nano Sock at 48" deep.

Rook - yours will be 94"-95 x 54" and weigh somewhere in the 6.5 ish neighborhood?
    ShadowAlpha - yours will be 104" x 54" and weigh somewhere around 8 ish?

I never know for sure until I throw it on the scale before it ships out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast