Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rambler View Post
    Well I ordered a Winter Sock from PapaSmurf. Can't wait to get it and start testing it out.
    Woooohooo. Enjoy! Got mine not to long ago. Only tested in my yard but really felt the differnce!

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    11 foot gathered hexon1.7
    Tarp
    11 ft winter dutch
    Insulation
    TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps 1.5
    So, Silnylon would have more condensation?
    I think I am confused...

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sail1987 View Post
    I think I am confused...
    I looked back through the thread to see what might be confusing... didn't catch it.

If you wrap yourself in silnylon, you will be drenched in nearly all circumstances.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sail1987 View Post
    I think I am confused...
    Silnylon does not breathe like canvas. Take a sample of each and blow through them with hot, humid breath. You'll notice the difference.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps
    When I tested the sock outside again the other night it added about 8c or 14f. The ambient temp was -4c (25f) and inside the sock it was 4c (39f) with fully enclosed ends and around the ridge line. As part of the system I also had a sleeping bag and pad, and several clothings layers to stay warm.

With the stuff sack it weighs 225g. and packs about the size of a 1/2 liter.

I've been asking the question; for weight conscious backpackers, is this option worth carrying and setting up to gain 8 deg c warmth? Per gram is the sock as effective in adding warmth to a sleep system in comparison to another quilt layer? Just brainstorming here, but what do you guys think? Let's compare this to the weight/warmth effectiveness of stacking another sleeping bag.

I have a comparison to show. My Eureka Wiskeyjack 100 sleeping bag weighs 1200g and is rated to 7c. In theory, if outside the bag it is 7c and inside it's a comfortable temp of 25c, it gives me a difference of 18 deg c. [But in reality when I tested the Wiskeyjack bag, (layering it with another bag because it was -7c ambient) it was 9c outside the bag and 24 inside the bag giving me about 15 deg difference.]

Considering the Wiskeyjack sleeping bag to give 18 deg c per 1200 grams; this = 66 gr. / degree c. The sock in comparison : 8 / 225 = 28 gr / degree c. This appears to be very effective for it's weight when added to a sleeping system. Perhaps this is because it is also trapping some of the heat from exhaling?

What do you guys think? Does this weight / warmth comparison make sense?

Another thing I like about it is how it keeps wetness off my quilts when it's raining. Even though I have a tarp, water droplets come off my rain jacket every time I enter.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Besides being an efficient warmth to weight ratio, another major benefit is preventing drafts. When I used my 0F incubator and burrow at around 30F a few weeks ago with my tarp pitched high and in porch mode the drafts made for a very chilly evening. It got pretty breezy after 10pm or so and I began to get very chilled from drafts so I had to get up and lower my tarp to the ground. I love having my tarp in porch mode when i can and believe you me i was wishing i had a hammock sock at that time.

The beauty of the sock is not only does it add warmth by making a little micro climate but it stops those drafts. So even if your tarp is not pitched perfectly or all the way to the ground you can still get by just fine using a sock and leave your tarp in porch mode. And when its really foul out you can pitch the tarp to thr ground and use the sock for double protection.

I can't wait to get my winter sock in and really get some testing done. I have quite a few winter trips planned and will be posting a good comprehensive review probably sometime in mid Feb.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Dimeotane, I love your analytical approach to determining the warmth vs. weight of different systems! Thank you for your dilligence.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok, so I want to make a canvas sock and understand that I need high thread count cotton etc. But, does anyone have a link to a supplier or at least an example so I can get an idea to what I need to buy to make one? I want to do some deep cold camping this year and after watching a bunch of videos on it, I want one!

Fronkey

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Ok, so I want to make a canvas sock and understand that I need high thread count cotton etc. But, does anyone have a link to a supplier or at least an example so I can get an idea to what I need to buy to make one? I want to do some deep cold camping this year and after watching a bunch of videos on it, I want one!

Fronkey
    Well, I can't help you out, but I also want to make one, only out of ripstop nylon (Don't get that deep cold down here). Please consider when you make yours posting your patterns and such for those of us that are soon behind

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I just got my sock from Mac yesterday and I am so stoked for it. I cant wait to get it hung on my hammock some time this week. The true test will be Mt. Rodgers. Thanks so much Mac for the awesome sock. And I know pics or it dident happen
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast