Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    I think it depends where you are hiking / paddling. I like to hike and paddle in places where hanging can be 50/50 at times. I always take my Neoair and at 14 oz, it's worth the weight penalty. I have had to use it before and assume I will again. I just use the tarp with my hiking poles and top quilt as a sleeping bag.

Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    Straps/Line&knots
    I use two Therma-A-Rest Z Lite pads, one regular and one short. In the hammock the egg crate design interlocks and doesn't slip and slide around. Together they remove cold spots from my shoulders to my thighs. A secondary use is seating and when it rains I strap the short one to my pack as an improvised rain cover.

d

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Personally, I carry a GG Thinlight that I have cut to fit inside of my sleeping bag and the foam can also be used if you need to sit on the ground as well.

I find that having the pad inside the bag prevents it from slipping off.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I just bring a cut off section of a Walmart blue pad as a sit pad.

It can be a real life saver under your butt in the hammock when you have cold butt syndrome.
    I do the exact same thing, multi-functional

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    When it's warm I don't bring a pad but, my cousin only uses a pad, in his hammock. So if there is a catastrophe, at least there is a pad along. I can't imagine that 2 of us would have to go to ground at the same time. When the temp starts dropping towards 0F I bring along my large Therma*A*Rest pad.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I usually bring a blue CCF Wallyworld special as a sit pad. Some places down here are complete and utter swamps, so it comes in handy when cooking or stopping for a break on the trail.

Worse comes to worst, it could double as a torso-length pad for a night on the ground. I hope it doesn't ever come to that, though...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images

1 or 2 pads

For "cool" weather (maybe down to 50F) I'll bring one 20"x30"x1/4" foam pad. This is mostly a sit pad or I can cram it in my footbox for helping to keep my feet warm.

Once it gets colder I bring a 2nd pad the same size. With the pair I can set them up in sort of a "T" fashion. One is across my back/shoulders, the other under my butt. This is assuming I've gone below the capacity of my UQ. If it's not quite that bitter then one or both go in the footbox or I have an extra to share for sitting around the campfire.

One of my pads found a new home on my last AT hike. A new hanger friend was trying to stay warm in an HH Expedition using a poncho as sort of a Garlington insulator. It didn't work so well and he was miserable. I coughed up my "spare" pad and saved the day (or at least the rest of his hike). It's like a PIF right on the trail. A $1 worth of foam I can easily part with but you'll have to pry my cozy down UQ from my cold, dead fingers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234