WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Just starte dhanging this year and don't have tons of cash left. I have used my WM Caribou opened as a quilt but now that it's gettimng colder here I am trying an REI sub-kilo. Trying it Saturday so i'll let ya know how it works in low 20 degree weather.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest Full
    I am a 3x kind of guy and my 3 Season Mamba from Warbonnet Outdoors is wonderful and always stays tucked no matter how much I wiggle around.

HYB

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG zero incubator
    I have never owned an actual TQ so I cannot comment on why you may be having the issues you are but I have a marmot sawtooth membrane 15 degree down SB that I use. I unzip it all the way (it isa 3/4 zip) so it leaves a nice foot box. When I get into it I cinch up the draft collar and shift the hood behind my head as a pillow and it has worked so well I havent seen the need for a TQ. The weight savings may lead me to get one one day but till then I will continue to use my SB : ) plus in the event I ever need to go to ground I have a waterproof sleeping bag.

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    HH Storm Hex
    Insulation
    Reflectix & pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I stared a thread asking why change to a TQ. I know the weight is lighter for TQs but there are drafts(if you are a crazy sleeper and I am). I'll stick to my SB for now
    War **** Eagle! Glory Glory Man United

Hammock
    WBB DL 1.1/skeeter beater/bias
    Tarp
    hg cuben/ hms
    Insulation
    hg incubator/WL uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I also leave my sleeping bag unzipped except enough for a foot box. I also have a loop at the foot end of my bag. I have a small carabiner at the foot end of my hammock. I just connect my bag to the carabiner before getting in the hammock and it helps keep my bag in place.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I am trying / using both.

It isn't just the unused zipper. It is the unused bulk when opened. SBs are no less than 59 inches wide for the upper torso, more than is needed. Insulation that could be above you is instead beside you, or tucked under to reduce warm air leakage. For a measure of this, consider that 59 inches is greater than the width of a double bed.

That real sleepers need to tuck covers in to be warm is a major subject of discussion in a thread on the RAB top bag, which provides 40" of insulated coverage on top. Eager adapters / adopters wanted to know whether the additional 20" of fabric, split between two wings, would be enough desired tucking material.

On the need for the extra acreage of coverage by sleepers who move: Where the body rests is more completely determined in a bridge hammock. You don't get to switch between straight, curled, or either of two diagonal legs of an "X" as in a gathered end.
    Find a concurrent thread in the JRB subforum claiming, giving evidence for, and collecting testimony on the superiority of bridge hammocks to gathered ends as cold weather sleeping systems. That is: You can do more with less, or be successful more reliably with less fuss and customized bedding. What makes that thread germane is that sleepers in bridge hammocks can probably get more use out of SBs, especially unopened rectangular ones.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by freakfx View Post
    I have never owned an actual TQ so I cannot comment on why you may be having the issues you are but I have a marmot sawtooth membrane 15 degree down SB that I use. I unzip it all the way (it isa 3/4 zip) so it leaves a nice foot box. When I get into it I cinch up the draft collar and shift the hood behind my head as a pillow and it has worked so well I havent seen the need for a TQ. The weight savings may lead me to get one one day but till then I will continue to use my SB : ) plus in the event I ever need to go to ground I have a waterproof sleeping bag.
    this is exactly what I do. Especially the pillow part.
    My Marmot Angel Fire is rated to 15 degrees, so I see no reason at this point to
    tear out the zipper or modify it so save maybe 4-5 oz.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps/MS

What are you using for bottom insulation?

I don't see any mention in the OP regarding what bottom insulation is used, if any... IMHO full side-to-side bottom insulation would be a key component in using a TQ in colder temps...
    I always wear either silk or wool longs as sleeping clothes - so a possible draft wouldn't be much of a 'shock' or bother to me in that case (another caveat - I'm a relatively warm sleeper and have not been 'cold' sleeping in my hammock in the low teens with a 20* 2/3 UQ & 30* bag as TQ)...
    A properly fitted UQ wraps up around you on the sides providing insulation, thus a TQ does not need to 'wrap' around (or under) you very much at all... If your bottom insulation is only a standard width pad (20"), your shoulders and possibly hips/thighs might be without much insulation (or if you are relying upon the down in a bag or TQ and it gets compressed, you're back to square one dealing with CBS)...
    I still only use my WM bags as TQs in my hammock - but a Burrow TQ is definitely on my Christmas wish list!
    The TQ will be much lighter than a SB since it won't have all that excess 'unneeded' fabric & down (and also would be much easier to 'handle' inside the hammock, too)...
    As for tossing & turning in my sleep - I do when trying to sleep in a bed or on the ground, but I do NOT when sleeping in my hammock!

Take a look at your bottom insulation and perhaps 'experiment' a little more - then, if you still want to ditch your TQ, let me know!

Happy hanging!!
    Happy trails!!!
    Jim (PITA)

HYOH! (hike/hang your own hike/hang)

"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time." - Steven Wright

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Down all the way!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Temps got down into the very low 20's maybe even hit 20. I panicked and used a neoair pad along with my 20 degree sub-kilo sleeping bag as an UQ. I did sleep nice and warm though!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12