Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dislike Dynaglide Colors?

FYI for those that are not fans of Dynaglide colors:

Don't get me wrong. Bright colors have their place. But sometimes one wants to be less obvious, or at least, a desire not to clash.

Dynaglide
    comes in two colors. Bright green and bright orange. The colored coating seems to make it a bit stiff...which can be good...or less desirable.

Browsing New England Ropes, I came across STS-12-75, which according to their .pdf catalog was formerly known as Endura-12. Similar to Dynaglide, it is a single braid dyneema, 12 strand, and spliceable. It comes in a variety of sizes, one of which is 2mm, having 1000# tensile strength. Comes with blue, red, green, grey, or white (clear) coating and seems less stiff than Dynaglide. Unlike Dynaglide, STS-12-75 is listed at 3g/m instead of 1.5g/m. I weighed 15' of Dynaglide and 15' of Endura-12 and (at least on my scale) they were both 11g (2.4g/m).

I had a hard time finding many places that sold it as STS-12-75, but quite a few that listed Endura-12 2mm (they did not make a 2mm line in the previous incarnation of Endura-12, the smallest was 3mm--when I bought mine I was assured that it was the STS-12-75)

So size wise, STS-12-75/Endura-12 2mm is the same as Dynaglide, with the same tensile strength, but it feels much less stiff (feels much more like amsteel blue). And it is not so brightly colored! I would have liked grey, but the place I ordered from was out and I got 600' of clear/white instead.

That should last a while...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FWIW, a search of "Endura" on HF results in only 3 previous mentions of this line:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=endura
    Last edited by BER; 10-27-2011 at 17:13. Reason: grammar and spelling police are after me!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for posting this. Though I actually like the orange dyna glide. Most my gear is black so its very halloweenish look, hah, I'd still prefer a more muted color.

Are your interested in selling 25'. I'd love to give it a shot without commiting to a large amount.

White is available by the foot here ($0.19/ft). I have not yet found a place that sells the other 2mm colors by the foot. Shipping is pretty horrible though for small amounts. But considering that I bought a full spool (600'), I would have saved a lot by buying it here. ****.
    Last edited by BER; 10-27-2011 at 17:17.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    that white is pretty slick...
    almost just got 50ft to play with -
    but can't justify the shipping - just saying...

i'll watch the thread- nice find BER!
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    that white is pretty slick...
    almost just got 50ft to play with -
    but can't justify the shipping - just saying...

i'll watch the thread- nice find BER!
    I hear you on that shipping! Playing with their site, the shipping stays the same up to 100' ($12.88), but for 600' only goes up marginally ($14.95) with a few price points in between. I got shafted buying a whole spool for $190 from another vendor! Wish they had other colors by the foot.

I was playing with a short length to see how easily it spliced--just a simple fixed eye. Seems more silky as opposed to the waxy feeling of Dynaglide. Spliced easily.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BER; 10-27-2011 at 17:45.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Ber...what is that splicing tool in the picture ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Ber...what is that splicing tool in the picture ?
    It's a loop turner. WV turned me on to this a while back (Thanks WV!). Works well for Dynaglide, Lash-it, and this cord. I like a thin wire better for 7/64" amsteel. The hook on the end of this loop turner is a bit small for 7/64"
    Last edited by BER; 10-27-2011 at 18:28.

Interesting find BER, I have a question though, here http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10234 shows they have the 7/64 for $0.22/ft, their sizing is 7/64, then 1/8, so am I safe to assume that 2mm and 7/64 is the same? As the listing on the site you provided from NE ropes lists 3mm (1/8) and then 2mm but no Imperial size designation??

They also list a price guarantee, so they might price match, and then someone could get grey??? If they didn't want white!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    NE Ropes makes a Dyneema rope of stronger fiber and braid STS 12-90, but it does not come in a nominal 2mm size, the smallest being a nominal 3mm and listed as weighing .71kg per 100 meters, with a strength of 1546kg =3400lb. Thats about the same weight and strength as Samson's AS79 and AS90 of the same nominal 3mm nominal size. Basically all within rounding and model error of one another in breaking strength and weight.

The listed weight for Dynaglide has previously been measured by two HF members at about 75g per 100 ft, or 230g per 100 meters. Interesting that NE Ropes' listing for ST12-75 should also be incorrect beyond rounding error in the digits they report in their catalog. The catalogue I consulted also shows a weight of .3kg per 100 meters.

Is the braid of your NER ST12-75 the same as the Dynaglide, same number of crossings per inch? There's another product sold in Commonwealth nations, Stein Safety's "Skyline Throw" which is likely the same as Dynaglide. Same market, nominal diameter, stated strength, colors, package lengths, and pricing.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 10-28-2011 at 10:47. Reason: added strength

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Interesting find BER, I have a question though, here http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10234 shows they have the 7/64 for $0.22/ft, their sizing is 7/64, then 1/8, so am I safe to assume that 2mm and 7/64 is the same? As the listing on the site you provided from NE ropes lists 3mm (1/8) and then 2mm but no Imperial size designation??

They also list a price guarantee, so they might price match, and then someone could get grey??? If they didn't want white!
    7/64" =~2.7mm. 2mm=~5/64". 1/8" = 3.1mm. Holding the Endura-12 and Dynaglide side by side, they seem to be esentially the same diameter to the naked eye, and both smaller than the 7/64" amsteel which I also have.
    Last edited by BER; 10-28-2011 at 09:44.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast