Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Trunks, thanks for posting these graphs and figures. I'd seen them before at BPL, but had trouble taking them all in and relating them to real-world tarp use. I admit I still have trouble making meaningful generalities from these specific facts. The question of static versus dynamic water pressure/impact is especially mystifying ("mist"-ifying). I plan to keep using both silnylon and CTF3 tarps, though the old urethane coated nylon is (I think) the clear winner if hydrostatic head is the the best way to measure how waterproof tarp fabric can be.

Other people's accounts of tarp performance in the rain may not be rigorously scientific, but they are easier to relate to, so I'll just keep on paying attention to what works and what doesn't work, for myself and for others. Then, I'll implement what I've learned (if I remember to) and try to figure out if I learned it correctly. Thanks to all who are contributing to this dialogue. (I know, a great man once wrote, "The plural of anecdote is not data," but what the heck. )

Now, just so I can add something useful myself, let me state that I learned that it's better to have a tarp ridgeline under the tarp than over it, because without the ridgeline supporting it my tarp can form a pool of water overhead ....

Hammock
    DangerBird
    Tarp
    HG Custom Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ, TQ & PeaPod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    True, true. The real world IS different to lab tests and, for 99.9% of people they won't have any issues.

Just like I've never had any problems with my sylnylon tarp - but some have. At least you can re-proof/treat sylnylon

I'll be interested to see how cuben performs in the long term though - from those people who regularly use it.

Images
    I have taken my tarp out on over a dozen trips this year. Maybe with the continued use it's become more pliable/absorbent?

It's raining/snow here today. Maybe if I feel like getting dressed I may go set it up in the yard. So far today I'm feeling lazy. It's sit in the chair with a book and hot chocolate day most likely!

If I do get out, I'll let ya' know how it goes.

Images
    Great thread fella's thanks for the research trunks.
    With so many cuben tarps out there this year I look forward
    to the winter hang trip reports to see how cuben is holding up.
    I do have an 11x8 cuben but it's not my winter tarp.
    Last edited by OutandBack; 10-29-2011 at 15:03.

That is a lot of information and some of it is hard to make out, but, what I found interesting is there are several test samples of the .51oz and one of them was reported as a HH of 422, but the rest is 3515 and two samples of .75 were tested and both were different, yet the rest were pretty much on par at 3515! Which leads me to a post by Javan D. on that same thread that he said that the manufacturer had some problems with some of the cuben?

Either way I have had my OES 2k.08 tarp (often referred to by the .75 oz weight) in some NASTY storms and have not had one issue!

I do find it interesting the problem that you had Joey and by chance did you contact the maker? I wonder if he would replace it and have it sent for testing as per the post by Javan stating that there were some problems with some cuben (QC issues)??
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Ahh I found the post by Javan here it is:

I just want to throw this out there, it's pretty well known amongst us gear makers that cubic has been having problems keeping up with demand and also had issues producing the 54" cuben due to a problem with some equipment lately.

There may be a very big chance that there are some significant material or manufacturing differences between two batches of the same "code" CTF.

I've definitely noticed differences in spectra density and hand from one batch of "the same" stuff to another.

I'm going to be sending in a sample of CT2K08 I got from Joe in the 51" wide variety when they were having production problems, and some CT3.5K18 I got directly from Cubic shortly there after.

I'm betting there's a good chance that as we see more samples from different "delivery dates", we're going to see some big variations.
    Edited by jdempsey on 03/31/2011 19:26:30 MDT.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post

I do find it interesting the problem that you had Joey and by chance did you contact the maker? I wonder if he would replace it and have it sent for testing as per the post by Javan stating that there were some problems with some cuben (QC issues)??
    I'm not considering having it replaced. I didn't get wet, and the tarp performed well. It just got heavy and seemed to have absorbed water. I'm going to take a small wipe cloth to it next time and see how things are. My experience was just something unexpected is all, and got me wondering more about cuben fiber and it's properties.

I still love my cuben tarp, don't get me wrong there. And I hope to be using it for a long time to come!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    How'z about a small tarp squeegee? May work.
    Just had mine on a wet and cold two nights......I shook it and it still had a bit of water I reckon. Not sure it absorbed but was just surface.
    Sure was a cold tarp with that water putting it away))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by trunks View Post
    If you look towards the middle of the bottom graph, there are some more sub 1oz that seem to score better when new, but of the 10 sub 1oz cuben samples tested, only 2 seem to pass the "rainproof" test when aged!

I just want to point out that these tests & results aren't mine - before i get shot down in flames. I've just done the internet searches to find the info

I see my problem. I thought it was ascending weights but it was different compositions. I'm glad I went back and looked as it's something to keep track of.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I can only speak from real world experience with no technical data to back up my opinion. I have had a cuben tarp since 2007 and it is still waterproof and holding up very well. I just made a large winter cuben tarp and spent 2 days in the rain on a 4 day hike this week. Water is heavy. It will stay on most tarps and WV's method of wiping them down works great.

Not to hijack the thread but I have also found out you do not need to crank on the tieouts like you are used to doing with silnylon tarps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast