DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Down to about forty F or so, I have yet to have a problem.

On the ground, though, I've been down into the twenties without a pad under me and that requires socks. I find that big, thick, loose wool socks work the best for me. I tend to be a very hot sleeper and sometimes sweat into my insulation, so the woolen socks are a go-to for me. They retain quite a bit of insulation regardless of damp conditions.

Just my own experience.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    This thread got me thinking.... and I like the idea of down booties/socks but the ones I've seen are $50 and while it's not a lot of money it all ads up! I realized I had a bunch of that reflective insulation left over from making pot cozies and I decided to see about making booties from that stuff. Here is the end result of about 20 mins of tinkering. I originally used reflective foil tape but it rips way to easily! so I swapped that out for some gorilla tape and I think they are holding up nicely now. my main concern is moisture build up over night.... but time will tell I guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    This thread got me thinking.... and I like the idea of down booties/socks but the ones I've seen are $50 and while it's not a lot of money it all ads up! I realized I had a bunch of that reflective insulation left over from making pot cozies and I decided to see about making booties from that stuff. Here is the end result of about 20 mins of tinkering. I originally used reflective foil tape but it rips way to easily! so I swapped that out for some gorilla tape and I think they are holding up nicely now. my main concern is moisture build up over night.... but time will tell I guess.
    I'd have a moisture problem sleeping in them but they look great for those short excursions in the night. ;-)

Space Age

Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    Nice! Looks like something developed by NASA.

SoCal Mike

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Mike View Post
    Has anyone tried inflatable pads (e.g. inflatable sit pad) under their feet and compare that to a CCF pad and found the inflatable warmer? I wasn’t sure if the sit pads had much of an R value, compared to a sleeping pad, but my theory is that some of the inflatable sit pads may offer more warmth if they are built similar to a sleeping pad (for example, some inflatable sleep pads have a lining to add wramth).

I’d love to hear from those of you who can compare using an inflatable v. CCF pad for the feet.

I have used both - an inflatable sit pad, and a piece of CCF. Personally I think they offer about the same insulation value once the inflatable has been deflated a bit. The CCF pad seems a bit easier to use as it conforms to odd shapes better and seems to slide around less either inside my SB or simply under it.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Trpl
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    GoLite Ultra 20
    Suspension
    1/8" Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    1. Not wearing the same socks I've been hiking in. A good change into dry, sleep only socks is a must in cold weather.

2. Fleece socks are my favorite for temps from 50F down to 30F.

3. Below 30F I add down booties (flamethrower gear from arrowhead equip.)

4. Always make sure my feet are dry before putting in what ever sleep footwear.

5. If it's been a long hike day, I give a little foot massage to open the capillaries and get the blood flowing.

Take a look through Raul Perez blog. You'll find it in his signature on his posts here. He's got some great cold weather/winter hiking tips!
    +1. I use Acorn fleece socks for sleeping only. I've tried the possumdown socks but found that my $5 Acorns actually felt warmer. They are nice and snug on my feet, but not restricting.

Check TJMaxx, Ross and Marshalls. About this time of year they begin to carry them and are around $5-6 a pair.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Triptease View Post
    +1. I use Acorn fleece socks for sleeping only. I've tried the possumdown socks but found that my $5 Acorns actually felt warmer. They are nice and snug on my feet, but not restricting.

Check TJMaxx, Ross and Marshalls. About this time of year they begin to carry them and are around $5-6 a pair.
    I'LL SECOND THAT!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I guess I am pretty lucky being a Hot Sleeper I rarely get cold and my feet stay pretty warm also I have slept in my hammock a few times now with lows of 40* in just my mummy bag with out a UQ(need to decide to buy ) and did not get cold and 1 night I had to actually open and vent the bag.

What I have always learned was that the warmer you keep your core the more heat will transfer to your extremities in cold weather wear a hat and definately wash and dry your feet before you put on a nice dry pair of socks.
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    Hammeck Breezy PolyD DBL
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I wear clean dry fleece socks to bed and toss a piece of reflectix under my feet. I used to have extremely cold feet at night, but now they stay nice and warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Triptease View Post

Thanks for that tip! Hadn't thought about TJ Maxx for camping gear.

SoCal Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast