Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Help me keep my feet warm

I was out in temps ~38* and used a 40* 3/4 length UQ. I wasn’t expecting the temps to dip below 45, but Mother Nature had other ideas.

On my feet I was wearing lightweight wool socks. Under my feet I used a 20in x 20in blue CCF pad. These are about /4 in. thick, I believe. My body was warm with the UQ, but my feet were freezing.

One idea I've been kicking around for avoiding this in the future was to bring 2foot pads, each cut to 20in x 20 in to double up the foot insulation—wouldn’t add much weight and I could use the pad in my frameless backpack, but it would rob me of some pack volume.

So, my question to everyone is: For those of you using 2/3 or ¾ length UQs, what combination of foot gear do you use to keep your feet warm for various temps? Let’s hear those ideas: inflatable sit pads, CCF pads, Gossamer Gear foam pads of various widths…and what else do you wear (if any), i.e. down booties, extra socks, etc.

Thanks!!

SoCal Mike

Images
    1. Not wearing the same socks I've been hiking in. A good change into dry, sleep only socks is a must in cold weather.

2. Fleece socks are my favorite for temps from 50F down to 30F.

3. Below 30F I add down booties (flamethrower gear from arrowhead equip.)

4. Always make sure my feet are dry before putting in what ever sleep footwear.

5. If it's been a long hike day, I give a little foot massage to open the capillaries and get the blood flowing.

Take a look through Raul Perez blog. You'll find it in his signature on his posts here. He's got some great cold weather/winter hiking tips!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    there was discussion about sleeping barefoot either here or BPL.
    i had this issue once, feet freezing all night and it wasnt real cold, maybe 35.
    turns out my socks were a little tight. cutting off circulation?

i second the flamethrower down socks. goosefeet also good.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    On my last hang, my feet were warm, but my toes felt like they were going to fall off. I had my "sleep socks" on and foot pad...along with them in my foot box, and still thought my toes would freeze to death. What really helped, and I still can't believe it, was wrapping my toes with a folded over paper towel and putting my socks back on over it. Of course we were car camping so we had paper towels with us. But I remembered my Grandpa talking about his war days and using newspaper around his feet for insulation. I didn't have newspaper...but paper towels worked wonderful and I plan on using again should I have to.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Over sized socks make a huge difference. Didn't even notice my footpad fell out last weekend with lows just below freezing.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.9
    Tarp
    STS 10x10 Escapist
    Insulation
    DIY Full Length UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    I use a bag so I typically don't have this issue. However, I have seen others that would add their down jackets (or just jackets) on the foot end of the hammock to create a footbox to add extra warmth...might be worth a try?

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I have to rinse the sweat off my feet every nite,,even with a fairly wet/damp wash rag,,to open the pores...so they breath,,much warmer then,,got to keep the pores open to breath,,and your feet feel fresher especially in the morning..but,,,going to get a set of flame thrower booties from Arrowhead as I am also cold natured..I also wear around the house/camp.even bping..a set of serria design down booties,,and even have slept in them as they are the kicks for wearing in snow, the ground,,walking to mail box even, and will take alot of abuse.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY (finally done)
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Like everyone has already said: dry feet and dry socks are a must. I am deeply in love my with my down booties (or socks or whatever else you wanna call em) I highly suggest down and will not go camping without them. They are super light, pack to almost nothing and keep my feet super warm even on the coldest nights.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I use these http://goosefeet.webs.com/products.htm

They have kept my tootsies nice and cozy down to some pretty cold temps. I also wear smart wool expedition style socks that are loose fitting, a pad inside my foot box. If the temps are really going to be cold then a hot water bottle inside my foot box. As weird as this may be I'll even give myself a bit of a foot rub before I go to sleep just to get the blood moving especially if I've been wearing boots all day and night. It certainly has helped warm up my feet right before I have gone to bed.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS+OC, 20 UGQ
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    I would echo those who have said dry feet dry socks to start the night. But I would add to that my issue is not keeping them warm, my issue is keeping them from getting to warm to fast and starting to sweat. I find keeping them less warm to start the night and then bringing them into the footbox of my bag as I cool off helps me greatly. But that is just me take it for what its worth remembering it was free advice
    Last edited by huauqui; 10-28-2011 at 21:58. Reason: spelling

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast